Cuomo Snubs Broadway

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#25Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 1:06am

Can't kill the guy. Hindsight is 20-20 and all that. But when people started branding him a hero, that was a bit much:

“Excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers — I speak for the mayor also on this one — we think we have the best health care system on the planet right here in New York,” Mr. Cuomo said on March 2. “So, when you’re saying, what happened in other countries versus what happened here, we don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”

And it was spreading widely in New York City before anyone knew it,” said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, the former head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and former commissioner of the city’s Health Department. “You have to move really fast. Hours and days. Not weeks. Once it gets a head of steam, there is no way to stop it.”

Dr. Frieden said that if the state and city had adopted widespread social-distancing measures a week or two earlier, including closing schools, stores and restaurants, then the estimated death toll from the outbreak might have been reduced by 50 to 80 percent.

But New York mandated those measures after localities in states including California and Washington had done so.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#26Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 2:17am

Let's also talk about museums for a second. Why were they not a part of this group? The Met has been re-scheduling new exhibit openings for this fall. If Broadway is going to remain shut, then museums, concert halls, bars, clubs, fashion shows, galas, and restaurants better be too is all I got to say.  

Updated On: 5/1/20 at 02:17 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#27Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 8:58am

Broadway Flash said: "Let's also talk about museums for a second.Why were they not a part of this group? The Met has been re-scheduling new exhibit openings for this fall. If Broadway is going to remain shut, then museums, concert halls, bars, clubs, fashion shows, galas, and restaurants better be too is all I got to say."

I am not understanding the correlation or logic. Museums can easily (and viably) adopt the same sort of social distancing that the grocery and drug stores have; theatres cannot. Everything has to be evaluated on its own.

matt1982
#28Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 9:13am

I would think it would be relatively easy to social distance in a museum.  It would take coordination of course, but certainly museums can limit the number of people entering, while making being open still worthwhile.  

Restaurants also will likely be open before theatres, likely in limited capacity.  Bars might be trickier.  

Broadway Flash
#29Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 1:59pm

LOL when is the last time u went to the met? The place is a zoo. Easily thousands of people in one room at the same time.

matt1982
#30Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 2:26pm

Yes, I realize that.  However, as I said, they could limit the number of people let into the building.  

zainmax
#31Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 7:07pm

It looks like Charlotte is trying to make things all nice now... This gets crazier & crazier!!

Updated On: 5/1/20 at 07:07 PM

Yankees02
HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 10:10pm

Broadway Flash said: "LOL when is the last time u went to the met? The place is a zoo. Easily thousands of people in one room at the same time."

Flash, I don't know what planet you are on, but the place IS a ghost town (no one has been on the premises for 6 weeks except security, facilities management (especially the environmental control part folks) and some conservators). And when the museum reopens, even without formal limits, it will be sparse. It is really surprising how many people here seem to think we will be returning to the status quo ante. The world will never be the same as it was. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#34Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 10:13pm

zainmax said: "It looks like Charlotte is trying to make things all nice now... This gets crazier & crazier!!"

What in heaven's name are you talking about? You aren't still putting any stock in the Forbes nonsense are you? I am mystified by your willingness to pay attention to what that kid writes. And even though you deny it and I have accepted your representation, when you post things like this, you make a boy skeptical.

zainmax
#35Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 11:44pm

HogansHero said: "Broadway Flash said: "LOL when is the last time u went to the met? The place is a zoo. Easily thousands of people in one room at the same time."

Flash, I don't know what planet you are on, but the place IS a ghost town (no one has been on the premises for 6 weeks except security, facilities management (especially the environmental control part folks) and some conservators). And when the museum reopens, even without formal limits, it will be sparse. It is really surprising how many people here seem to think we will be returning to the status quo ante. The world will never be the same as it was.
"

I think that itll eventually recover but not anytime soon and youll probably see more people being cautious —which is a good thing

zainmax
#36Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 11:45pm

Brw I read everything I can! Riedel Forbes Paulson ... we need more ppl covering the biz!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#37Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/1/20 at 11:59pm

zainmax said: "I think that itll eventually recover but not anytime soon and youll probably see more people being cautious —which is a good thing"

I agree it will "recover" and that it will take time. I added the quotation marks because things will be different; there will be new rules and there will be new economics. What will it look like and when? No one knows, nor could they.

zainmax
#38Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 12:02am

HogansHero said: "zainmax said: "I think that itll eventually recover but not anytime soon and youll probably see more people being cautious —which is a good thing"

I agree it will "recover" and that it will take time. I added the quotation marks because things will be different; there will be new rules and there will be new economics. What will it look like and when? No one knows, nor could they.
"

How will the economics change? For better or for worse??

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#39Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 12:06am

zainmax said: "Brw I read everything I can! Riedel Forbes Paulson ... we need more ppl covering the biz!"

Yes of course, but reading involves discrimination rather than blind acceptance of the content. There is only one of the three people you mention who is right more than wrong. And when you learn that something is wrong, one would not expect continued obsequiousness to the source.It leads one to think that there is something going on that does not meet the eye. 

zainmax
#40Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 12:18am

HogansHero said: "zainmax said: "Brw I read everything I can! Riedel Forbes Paulson ... we need more ppl covering the biz!"

Yes of course, but reading involves discrimination rather than blind acceptance of the content. There is only one of the three people you mention who is right more than wrong. And when you learn that something is wrong, one would not expect continued obsequiousness to the source.It leads one to think that there is something going on that does not meet the eye.
"

I miss Jeremy Gerard!! Pat Healy was good, too.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#41Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 1:25am

zainmax said: "HogansHero said: "zainmax said: "I think that itll eventually recover but not anytime soon and youll probably see more people being cautious —which is a good thing"

"

How will the economics change? For better or for worse??
"

As I said, no one knows. And one's perspective may alter one's perception of better/worse anyway.

Broadway Flash
#42Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 4:44am

Hogan, you're the one that's saying the museums should be able to open before the theatre. That makes absolutely no sense to me. There are more people in a museum during the day than any theatre at night. 

A Director
#43Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 5:34am

Broadway Flash said: "Hogan, you're the one that's saying the museums should be able to open before the theatre. That makes absolutely no sense to me. There are more people in a museum during the day than any theatre at night."

BF - You aren't good at reading comprehension. Museums can limit the number of people allowed in at the same time,  Museums could set a time limit as to how long people are allowed to stay in the building.  If it's large enough, they could even set up different routes through the building.

Broadway Flash
#44Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 6:39am

They could also limit the number of people who go into a Broadway theatre as well, but it doesn’t make business sense. These museums also need money. Their main source of income is from events and galas which would presumably be cancelled, just like the Met Ball has been. It doesn’t make sense for them to keep a massive museum open just for a few people to trickle in throughout the day.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#45Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 9:19am

Broadway Flash said: "They could also limit the number of people who go into a Broadway theatre as well, but it doesn’t make business sense. These museums also need money. Their main source of income is from events and galas which would presumably be cancelled, just like the Met Ball has been. It doesn’t make sense for them to keep a massive museum open just for a few people to trickle in throughout the day."

Flash, you really seem determined to remain untethered to any reality. The Met is huge and could easily accommodate a substantial number of people with proper social distancing. Also, the marginal cost of opening is quite small (unlike a theatre) since it basically involves the lowest paid employees. But the economic viability is not the issue; the government's interest is in a plan that is safe.If it does not "make sense" to some museums to reopen, they won't: no one is proposing a mandate that they open. There is no reasoned basis for considering the two situations analogous. 

JennH
#46Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 11:18am

As there seem to be no other good place to post this...

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/28/cuomo-new-york-primary/?comments=1&fbclid=IwAR0m_azVw__kL_to0KGsfTs4ovB5bxJRKbV0J7e4C_1PyK4LMBIwdRVdM98#comments

Any want to take a crack at explaining any of this? Everything mentioned can be easily looked up. He's done all of this while no one was looking and still applauding him. Why? 

Broadway Flash
#47Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 11:26am

The only one that seems determined and untethered from reality is YOU. If it’s not safe to be in a theatre, it sure as hell ain’t safe to be in a museum with thousands of people coming through every day spreading the virus.

Updated On: 5/2/20 at 11:26 AM

Sunny11
#48Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 11:30am

It would have been a waste of everyone’s time to hold the presidential primary. There is only one candidate running !  

JennH
#49Cuomo Snubs Broadway
Posted: 5/2/20 at 11:40am

Sunny11 said: "It would have been a waste of everyone’s time to hold the presidential primary. There is only one candidate running !"

Sure...but state and local primaries are still on? And only certain issues are to be voted on? Again, how does that make sense on the surface? It was postponed until June, the very month that the 90 day eviction moratorium ends. THEN the presidential primary is cancelled outright without even a mail option. What Wisconsin did was unconscionable, they held elections in person come hell or high water without a mail option, but we did the exact opposite. Cancel entirely without a mail option to possibly allow for Bernie delegates (I'm not super Bernie bro BTW). But for whatever reason....as mentioned, state and local are still on. The very month that the moratorium ends? Couldn't possibly be using that as a means to keep people away from elections because they're too busy scrambling trying to stay in their homes could it? Does anyone really think this was by accident? It's undemocratic to outright cancel, PERIOD. Competency in service of career posturing isn't competency, it's shady. 

Updated On: 5/2/20 at 11:40 AM

Videos