pixeltracker

Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt- Page 3

Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt

AEA AGMA SM
#50Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/2/20 at 11:21am

fashionguru_23 said: "broadwayboy223 said: "I believe before her untimely death there was every intention of Natasha Richardson and Vanessa Redgrave starring in the show. They both sang the roles in the Roundabout benefit reading."

Did they have the intention of a full production? I know that their 2 other readings (Kiss Me, Kate and She Loves Me) turned into full productions. I had no idea this was suppose to go the same route.
"

There was a lot of talk of it being produced in an upcoming season as a full production, but her death happened so soon after that it completely derailed any possibility of if happening soon with another cast, and then producers moved to bring over the Trevor Nunn production from the Menier Chocolate Factory. 

Dolly80
#51Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/2/20 at 3:11pm

AC126748 said: "For years, there were rumors that Desiree would be Emma Thompson's return to the stage. She's a bit old for the part now, but when she was the right age, she would have been perfect. She has the humor and the vulnerability needed for the part."

She would totally get my vote too.

also Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet.. 

Dolly80
#52Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/2/20 at 3:16pm

Loopin’theloop said: "JBradshaw said: "Ruthie Henshall"

That voice is, unfortunately in absolute tatters Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
"

Tragically this is so true. She would have been glorious if she’d have laid off the cigarettes... 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#53Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/2/20 at 3:45pm

Not a voice I enjoy either - however, the show has a precedent of requiring very little vocal ability. Would it really matter?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Carol Channing, or Change Profile Photo
Carol Channing, or Change
#54Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/2/20 at 4:43pm

Desiree is one of those roles where I don't think vocal talent should be one of the most important determiners when casting (I mean, look at Glynis Johns). There are plenty of other opportunities in the show for impressive vocals, and I can totally see Ruthie Henshall making a fantastic Desiree!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#55Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/12/20 at 11:28am

Well this is fun dreamcasting...Vivien Leigh would have been a sublime Desiree. From a Twitter and Instagram account called "Today's Broadway Yesterday" that reimagines shows as Golden Age productions.

https://twitter.com/IfItHadHappened/status/1281987057557090308

https://www.instagram.com/todaysbroadwayyesterday/

Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt

Updated On: 7/12/20 at 11:28 AM

AEA AGMA SM
#56Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/12/20 at 5:15pm

Oh, if we are going with the historical "what could have beens" there are so many roles that I could only begin to imagine what Judy Garland could have done with, and Desiree is definitely on that list.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#57Dreamcast: Desiree Armfeldt
Posted: 7/13/20 at 5:14pm

^ Seconded.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky