Les Mis Understudy Attack

inmyownlittlecorner
#1Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 3:42pm

I haven’t really been on this board in a long time but there is something that I remember but can’t find information on so I thought I’d come ask here.

Back in my very deep Les Mis phase, I remember reading an article about a boyfriend of an understudy who attacked a lead, Tonya Harding style, because he wanted his girlfriend to have more stage time. The only other thing I can remember about this is that it was a European production.

Does anyone else know what I’m talking about or am I just mixing this up with another story or did my brain just completely make this up (very possible)? I wouldn’t ask if I actually didn’t think this happened

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#2Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 3:47pm

You might be thinking of Bette Midler in "Rochelle, Rochelle: The Musical". wink

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 5:05pm

DooWahDiddy said: "You might be thinking of Bette Midler in "Rochelle, Rochelle: The Musical". wink"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 6:39pm

Definitely Rochelle, Rochelle.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 6:42pm

I was/am a huge Les Miz fan (I had European postal-mail pen pals and we often talked about the productions they saw), and I have no recollection of this.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mattbrain
#6Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 8:41pm

Everything you’ve said is correct except for one detail. The show was actually Evita. Patti LuPone mentions it in her memoir.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

inmyownlittlecorner
#7Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 9:27pm

Mattbrain said: "Everything you’ve said is correct except for one detail. The show was actually Evita. Patti LuPone mentions it in her memoir."

That’s it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I googled it and found the exact article I read (here). I had found the article in a form thread about backstage drama which also talked about the Stephanie Stephenson Les Mis thing. I must have mixed the two up, I read the thread years ago. Thank you guys so much, I knew I could count on y’all

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#8Les Mis Understudy Attack
Posted: 8/24/20 at 11:04pm

Stephanie Stephenson!! I hadn't thought about her in ages. I was at the closing performance of the third national tour, and there was a cool page in the playbill (I forget if it was an insert or printed with the rest of it) listing and thanking everyone who had ever performed with that tour. I'm guessing they went through payroll to assemble the list since she was on it.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt