West End - First Time - Advice!

Johnsylva
#1West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 5:10pm

Hi there,

I'll be in London the weekends of 8/20 and 8/27 – this will be my first time to both the city and to see West End productions!

ANYTHING GOES is a given for me – but I'd love to wedge in at least three more shows between the two weekends. There's a huge amount that I'm eager to see, but I'm wondering if anyone might have some expert advice on how to curate a well-rounded, unforgettable show itinerary whilst there?

Thank you in advance!!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 5:45pm

Which days of the week exactly will you be in London?

Johnsylva
#3West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 5:49pm

I'll be there from 8/17 – 9/1 ... only free on Saturdays and Sundays (maybe an occasional evening!).

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#4West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 5:50pm

You should definitely see Hairspray at the London Coliseum.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#5West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 5:50pm

You should definitely see Hairspray at the London Coliseum.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Jordan Catalano
#6West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 5:57pm

Assuming then that you have time for 2 shows on both Saturdays and Sunday, I’d really recommend “Hairspray”, “Cinderella”, & “Back to the Future” in addition to “Anything Goes”. Sunday shows are really limited but “Joseph” at the Coliseum is fantastic and you’ll also be able to catch the new “Frozen” in that incredible new renovated theatre.

Jordan Catalano
#7West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 6:11pm

You also have the option for “Carousel” at Regeants Park and the revival of “Singin in the Rain”, both of which close right before i get back into town.

Johnsylva
#8West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 6:20pm

Plannietink08 said: "You should definitely see Hairspray at the London Coliseum."

1000% being added to the agenda! Thank you!

Johnsylva
#9West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 6:22pm

Jordan Catalano said: "You also have the option for “Carousel” at Regeants Park and the revival of “Singin in the Rain”, both of which close right before i get back into town."

I've seen SINGIN' IN THE RAIN only in a La Mirada revival a few years back, and it was GLORIOUS – I did see FROZEN on Broadway, but this seems like a whole other level of spectacle.

BACK TO THE FUTURE and JOSEPH seem like natural "musts," too!

I know EVERYBODY'S TALKING ABOUT JAMIE will make its way West at some point... but, do I need to see it here first...!?

Bwayornoway
#10West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 6:30pm

Yeah I have to agree with the other posters, I'd definitely see 'Back to the Future' "Joseph" and 'Hairspray' if you have limited time.  We won't be getting these shows in the States for a long time - Well there is a Hairspray tour starting - but it won't have Michael Ball in it :)

Enjoy Anything Goes too!

Jordan Catalano
#11West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 6:37pm

re: “Jamie” - The show is on its 10th or so replacement cast and while it’s a good show i wouldn’t at all make it a priority over the others listed.

If you have any questions about London let me know, I spend a good amount of my time there.

JasonC3
#12West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/5/21 at 8:10pm

If you haven't already done so, I recommend checking out https://theatreboard.co.uk/.

Lots of engaged, thoughtful posters there and the overall tone is far more civil. Their comments on various shows have helped me decide on shows numerous times.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#13West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/6/21 at 4:01am

And also consult theatremonkey.com for advice on seats.
Also todaytix seems to be the way for lottery. I think the TKTS booth in Leicester Square is closed.
Box office staff are almost all very helpful and may even discount tix if you ask nicely.

dont know if theatres have returned to selling ice cream at the interval aka intermission in the US

Updated On: 8/6/21 at 04:01 AM

Martijn-j
#14West End - First Time - Advice!
Posted: 8/6/21 at 4:19am

I always like to see new musicals with its original cast so I would definitely see Cinderella. Even though I was disappointed by the recording, but apparently a lot has changed since then.