pixeltracker

O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?

O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#1O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:40pm

Okay, I'm not the type who thinks Broadway should constantly turn to movies for inspiration of shows.  But, it seems like a no-brainer to see 2000's O Brother, Where Art Thou get adapted into a stage musical, given that the film has a large number of songs already integrated into scenes that would make great stage numbers.  I mean, I personally would love to see the scene where the sirens seduce the three men with moonshine while singing adapted.

Given the film was released by Disney through their Touchstone film division, and how hugely successful the soundtrack album was when it came out, it almost seems like it should have been inevitable.  But, I have never heard anything.  Being that the film is 21, it's probably long past its prime as an audience draw.  Still, it just seems strange, and I refuse to believe that it was never even considered at one point.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?
Posted: 8/8/21 at 9:15pm

The fact that this one in particular hasn't happened makes me think there's some rights holdup with one or more of the songs. Even more than "Sister Act," this one would feel strange with an original score replacing the iconic folk, country and bluegrass tunes.

ELFcubed Profile Photo
ELFcubed
#3O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:18pm

Most of the songs in the movie are public domain though. You Are My Sunshine and I''ll Fly away are not, but both have been covered a zillion times, so I doubt they have too much problem with licensing. Get Gillian Welch and Alison Krauss to write some new songs for Penny, Big Dan, and Baby Face Nelson and you're ready to go!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:19pm

Not all movies need to become musicals. This was a perfect film and Im content leaving it at that. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#5O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:33pm

Of course!, this should be a stage musical.  It's stupid to say otherwise.  Each time I watch the movie, I am reminded of my step-father.  "Big Rock Candy Mountain" was one of those songs he sang over and over when I was a boy.  Years later, I realized that he didn't know the lyrics and would just make them up as he went along.

Non sibi sed patriae

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#6O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?
Posted: 8/9/21 at 8:53pm

The issue with the public domain songs is that covers of folk tunes get… dicey when a specific recording or performance becomes iconic. You can’t copyright a vibe, but if your performance contains enough unique signifiers (lyric edits, arrangements, etc) then THAT becomes a copyrighted derivative work.

I learned about this when putting “House of the Rising Sun” in a show. There’s no reason you can’t do the song in a bluesy twelve-eight instead of a waltz, but you can’t anchor the whole thing on the signature Animals guitar and organ riff the whole way through and still claim it in the public domain. And with O Brother, that bluegrass revival soundtrack is iconic. They’re gonna pay Dan Tyminski and Alison Kraus et al, because they want the RIGHT versions of the songs, not just a close facsimile.

UrNotAMachine
#7O Brother, Where Art Thou Stage Musical?
Posted: 8/10/21 at 11:11am

This is one of my favorite films of all time, but I'm not entirely sure what would be gained by bringing it to the stage. In terms of Greek myths being brought into depression-era America, Hadestown scratches that itch pretty well. I don't think there's too much to enhance about the original film through a stage production. The movie is already pretty perfect.

Latest Posts