pixeltracker

How important is auditioning with a unique monolouge?

How important is auditioning with a unique monolouge?

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#1How important is auditioning with a unique monolouge?
Posted: 11/16/21 at 6:54pm

Hi all! I am a senior in college at a small university without a large theater presence. I'm auditioning for my school's spring musical (just for fun, I'm not a theater major of any kind) and was told to prepare a contemporary monologue. I've learned Sally's "coat hanger sculpture" monologue from Charlie Brown, but just realized (upon critical thinking and some googling) that this is an extremely overdone monologue.

The audition is on Saturday and I'm upset that I've spent time learning these lines and am not sure I'll have the time to re-learn a new one. Because this isn't necessarily a high-stakes audition, do you think my doing an overdone monologue will severely impact my chances? Or will it be a mere annoyance? Should I drop this one and try to re-learn a new one? 

Sorry if these kinds of posts are not allowed, I will delete if needed!

Kip4
#2How important is auditioning with a unique monolouge?
Posted: 11/16/21 at 7:26pm

You will be fine to use that for your audition!  Break a leg!

If you pursue acting and auditions out in the "real world," you'll want to be mindful of the pieces you choose.  When directors and auditioners see hundreds of actors, then your material matters a bit more.  

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#3How important is auditioning with a unique monolouge?
Posted: 11/16/21 at 8:23pm

The overdone monologue/song worry is…overdone. As long as it’s not the equivalent of “To be or not to be” or “Defying Gravity,” if you do it really well, any director or casting director who knows what they are doing won’t care how many times they’ve heard it before. Just use the Charlie Brown speech if you feel you feel it shows you off well.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4How important is auditioning with a unique monolouge?
Posted: 11/17/21 at 7:24am

For a college audition?   I wouldn't worry at all.  They want you to impress them to the point where they can "see" you as one of the characters - the choice of material becomes pretty irrelevant.  (Or it should be.)

Have fun at the audition!   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5How important is auditioning with a unique monolouge?
Posted: 11/17/21 at 5:08pm

This is a college musical audition.  The odds that someone else does this monologue is pretty rare.  When it’s a cattle call with 600 actors, I think then you can kinda safely assume a few others will be doing it as well.