Logistically Making My Flight

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#1Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 11:56am

Hey everyone! I had a bit of an odd question, but I’m in NYC this week Wed-Sunday, and my flight Sunday evening leaves LaGuardia at 6:29pm. I am seeing the matinee of Into the Woods that Sunday which starts at 2pm, so worst case I’m out on the street after by 5. For those who are more well traveled to NYC than I am, if I had my luggage with me ready to go and called a car to go to the airport right after the show, I should in theory be able to make my flight right? Does anyone know if City Center would let me check bags as someone from out of town? Any info/insight would be amazing! I’m excited to get back to the city, but that potential 90 min crunch to the airport is worrying me just a bit.

Broadway61004
#2Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 12:12pm

That's definitely cutting it very close. Into the Woods has been running close to 3 hours (plus Sunday is the last performance so may be some extra pauses, speeches, etc.). A cab ride from City Center to LGA should be around 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. So if you get out right at 5, presuming you have your bags and can get a cab right away, that's still likely giving you only around 45 minutes to get through security and get to your gate before they close the doors. Which is doable, but lots of things would have to go just right.

Not sure if City Center would let you check a suitcase. But keep in mind if you do, other folks will also be checking bags and there could be a wait after the show to get yours, adding an additional amount of time. 

So I'd recommend keeping a close eye on the time. You may unfortunately have to cut out of the show a few minutes early to be safe.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#3Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 12:22pm

I’m considering possibly watching the last number from the back of the orchestra and (sadly) missing curtain call.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#4Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 12:32pm

Does you flight leave at 6:30 or board at 6:30? Flights usually board at least 30 mins before departure. Too close for comfort for me for sure. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#5Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 1:02pm

The flight is scheduled to depart at 6:30. So it is very close. I’d hate to miss the last bit of the show but if the alternate is missing my flight I don’t want that either.

smokeline2
#6Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 1:10pm

If your flight leaves at 6:29, there is almost no way you will make it, even cutting out before the bows. Into the Woods runs a full 3 hours. You'd only have 80 minutes or so to get your luggage from bag check, hail a car or a cab (not an instantaneous process right as a show is getting out and everyone else wants a car too), drive the 30-40 minutes to LGA, wait in the security line (even precheck is usually 10+ minutes these days), walk to your gate, and board before the doors close. And that's if everything goes right (you can get a car pretty fast, there's no traffic, normal security line, etc.), and you're not checking a bag at the airport.

For some perspective, I live a shorter cab ride away from LGA and usually leave 2 and a half hours before my flight to allow for traffic, lines, etc. 2 hours would be okay if everything went smoothly.

Updated On: 5/9/22 at 01:10 PM

Phantom4ever
#7Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 1:11pm

Why not see if your airline can accommodate you on a 7:30 or 8:30pm flight that night?  If my flight were at 6:30pm, I would want to be at LGA no later than 5:30 and be on the streets in Manhattan with my bag hailing a cab no later than 4:30/4:45.  So 5pm may seem like only 15 minutes late, but then if you add ten minutes of getting your checked bag bag, 10 minutes extra traffic, 10 minutes of finding a cab, an extra long security line.......

Dollypop
#8Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 1:23pm

I've done lots of traveling in my time and I quickly learned that if something can go wrong on a trip, it will. I wish you well but you haven't taken into consideration congested traffic or a late-starting show.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#9Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 1:56pm

Thank you all for the input. I decided to air on the side of caution and paid a hefty fee to move my flight to the next day. Not worth the stress while trying to enjoy what is going to be an amazing performance of Into the Woods, plus I can add a Sunday evening show to my trip now. In luckily have a friend who is letting me stay with her that evening to accommodate the change. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 2:34pm

Glad it will work out for you.  Hooray for your friend.   I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show for worrying about my flight.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#11Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 3:04pm

You made the right decision.  Enjoy the shows.

Safe travels.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#12Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 4:04pm

I am seeing the show Sunday as well with a Monday flight back. I would have been stressed the entire time! Glad you were able to figure out a plan B. 

Phantom4ever
#13Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 4:17pm

Glad you were able to make the change. So annoying the airline still charged a change fee!  

When I go in June, I have a similar situation, but I am seeing The Minutes which is much shorter. Still, I got an email from the airline saying that my flight was moved to an hour earlier! So I may have to consider staying an extra night too. 

RWPrincess
#14Logistically Making My Flight
Posted: 5/9/22 at 8:07pm

Good plan as that was definitely cutting it close. I saw this show on Friday and there were several breaks for applause. I can only imagine it will be longer on the final night. Also, if you're flying out of Terminal B at LGA, it's a fairly long walk now from security to the gate areas. So, you've made the right choice. Enjoy the show and I hope you see something awesome afterwards too!

Videos