pixeltracker

Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video

Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video

Theatrefanboy1
#1Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/21/22 at 2:51pm

I know the Tony Awards films the dress rehearsal just in case. But have there been performances that last minute have required to use the dress rehearsal footage? Not just scheduled pre recorded performance.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 8:14am

The Tony Awards are aired live,, so you wouldn't know a big mistake was going to happen. (I suppose it's possible if a well known person in said number got unexpectedly sick or injured and the production didn't want the understudy on.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 8:57am

Many factors can merit the use of the dress rehearsal footage, not just an actor being sick.  Set issues, or stage problems not letting them set up a musical number set on time, etc.  Due to what happened with FOX’s RENT: Live!, the filmed dress rehearsals are now filmed full-out and with performances at 200% - just in case.  The actors who did RENT: Live! were mortified when FOX had to use the filmed dress rehearsal for the live broadcast. The actors admitted to half-assing the filmed dress rehearsal saving their performance for THE live show.  Oooops.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 9:09am

Yes, of course, thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#5Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 9:38am

To answer the question: I don't think there ever was a time when rehearsal footage was used during the actual telecast.

It should be noted that the program is aired with a seven second delay to bleep out offensive comments that may (and have) been uttered.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 5/22/22 at 09:38 AM

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#6Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 10:04am

I think they use dress rehearsal footage for the category presentations.  I've noticed differences, some little, some larger, between the live performance and the clip used for the category nominees.

For example, in Sweet Smell of Success in 2002, John Lithgow sips from a coffee mug during the live performance and reads a piece of paper during the equivalent clip in the Best Musical presentation.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

OhHiii
#7Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 10:08am

James2 said: "I think they use dress rehearsal footage for the category presentations. I've noticed differences, some little, some larger, between the live performance and the clip used for the category nominees.

For example, inSweet Smell of Successin 2002, John Lithgow sips from a coffee mug during the live performance and reads a piece of paper during the equivalent clip in the Best Musical presentation.
"

This is because shows (all musicals and sometimes plays too) submit their Broll footage for the category presentations, it’s not clipped from the live performances on the telecast. For plays when footage isn’t available, they generally use production photos. 

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#8Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 10:18am

OhHiii said: "James2 said: "I think they use dress rehearsal footage for the category presentations. I've noticed differences, some little, some larger, between the live performance and the clip used for the category nominees.

For example, inSweet Smell of Successin 2002, John Lithgow sips from a coffee mug during the live performance and reads a piece of paper during the equivalent clip in the Best Musical presentation.
"

This is because shows (all musicals and sometimes plays too) submit their Broll footage for the category presentations, it’s not clipped from the live performances on the telecast. For plays when footage isn’t available, they generally use production photos.
"

I mean the Best Musical and Best Revival of a Musical categories.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9Tony Performances that used Dress Rehearsal video
Posted: 5/22/22 at 12:04pm

This is from the dress rehearsal of the 2014 Tony Awards but it shows you how the show musical numbers are performed and filmed like a regular broadcast.  Just in case it has to be used on the live broadcast in case something goes wrong last minute.

Videos