News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Marc Shaiman Benefit - the question everyone is dying to know

Marc Shaiman Benefit - the question everyone is dying to know

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#0Marc Shaiman Benefit - the question everyone is dying to know
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:00am

Yes.. they raised a nice chunk of change...

but what we really want to know is...

How did it go and what was it like?

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#1re: Marc Shaiman Benefit - the question everyone is dying to know
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:03am

well, all I can say is I met MisterMatt AND SuelleenGay!!!!!!

who BOTH look just like their icons!!!!

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#2re: re: Marc Shaiman Benefit - the question everyone is dying to know
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:20am

Such a tease! Gimmie da pictures, serve up the info, I wanna know it all! Who do ya gotta f@#& around here? Where is justice? Why am I up so early? Glad it was a success!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#3re: re: re: Marc Shaiman Benefit - the question everyone is dying to know
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:24am

Did Sulleen break into "Murder He Says"?

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

#4re: re: re: re: Marc Shaiman Benefit - the question everyone is dying to know
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:33am

I'm gonna warn all the *dead-eyed dicks*
That you're the chick with the slickest tricks
And every tick of my ticker ticks for you, follow through

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:56am

OK, guys....

What a WONDERFUL evening! I attended the second show and is was pure joy from beginning to end. Crammed in a small room with a grand piano, a handful of musicians, two cameras, mutliple microphones, and a stunning painting of "the Tony kiss" as a back drop, the room was overflowing with cahrm, warmth and love. The musical selections were all wisely chosen and the performances from Marc and Bruce and the entire company were all delightful. My only complaint was, not enough Bruce! I was hoping he would perform more than just the opening, but what an opening! Marc and Bruce delighted us with a tune chock full of homo history and political incorrectness. Then songs cut from Hairspray. "New Girl in Town" and "It Ain't Over" were brilliantly performed and left me wanted them restored in the musical.

Then we had various Shaiman delights including songs from an unproduced musical featuring Barbie and Ken, songs and arrangements from films and Midler including "Fat as I Am" (I wore out my LP of Mud Will Be Flung Tonight in high school, so I noticed a couple of lyric changes), a show-stopping "Miss Otis Regrets", and one of my favorites, the startlingly poignant, "Drifting". Marc charmed us with several anectdotes (I could have used more, I'm all about back-story) and Scott chimed in from the audience now and then.

The impromptu "feel" of the evening only made it that much more special. You weren't watching some manufactured lip-snyced pyrotechnic pop spectacular with computerized special effects and lycra-clad dancers (though lycra would have suited some of the cast very well). This was real and raw and personally, made me feel almost as if it was just for me. It was like a private party and I was personally invited. I hope a studio recording is made of this catalogue of songs. So many of them I would love to hear again. Especially the aforementioned from Hairspray and "Drifting", but also the hysterical "Black Don't Crack".

I was absolutely thrilled to meet two of the sweetest and most charming individuals, Sueleen and Marc. It was like old friends meeting for the first time and I enjoyed every minute I got to spend with you guys. I owe you a drink, Sueleen (and a copy of the photo)! And once again, I really want to thank Marc for coming to Chicago to do this show. New York gets lots of wonderful concerts and benefits that the rest of us never get to see, so it was great to have the opportunity to attend such a special evening. No, it's not ass-kissing, it's called appreciation. And thanks to everyone involved at the Gentry and with the Hairspray company for all the work and time involved in putting the show together. You made this guy very happy.

MUUUUAAAAHHHH!!!!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

EddieVarley
#6re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:58am

Thanks MM, a wonderful recap!

starlight2
#7re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 10:05am

mister matt! I am so happy for you but so envious too! How were the auction items and how was the crowd not in the actual cabaret room? did they make lots of money! Did you meet any of the cast, or were there any really memorable performances?? oh, Please, details mister matt, and glad you had a wonderful time!

Mister Matt
#8re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 10:19am

Since I attended the second show, I missed most of the first auction. There were a lot of autographed posters and they auctioned a seat in the pit with the conductor, a seat with the drum player, and a seat with the light tech, for the remaining performances. Bruce donated his tour jacket which went for $650 or $700, I believe. I think pretty much every item went for at least $100-150 (too rich for my blood!) and several went for much more. I don't know the tally, but I think the benefit raised quite a bit.

I don't have a program with me, so I am unable to give names. I'll just use character names. My favorites: Tracy belted an amazing "It Ain't Over". The Tracy understudy matched her with (I think) "New Girl in Town" (I hope I'm not getting the titles mixed up, but Marc or Sueleen can feel free to correct me). Mrs. Pingleton and cast tear-jerkingly hilarious with the new arrangement of The Dreidel Song. Harry Connick Jr. look-alike (I noticed that , too) Link's moving rendition of "Drifting". Chorus girls trio of "Miss Otis Regrets". The jaw-dropping big talent of Little Inez telling us that "Black Don't Crack" was unforgettable. And of course, the powerful full ensemble blowing away the audience with "Joyful Joyful" from Sister Act II. I've left out a lot, but there was so much! Seaweed also stopped the show, but I can't remember which song now. I wish there was a program!

EddieVarley
#9re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 11:02am

But when did Marc strip? Did Scott ripe off his bodice in a feverish wardrobe malfunction? Please, more details. It truly sounds like it was wonderful. Put me down for the cd and dvd release, Thanks!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#10re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 11:31am

"I was SHOCKED when I saw those photos, honestly I was. Scott was spechless. It weasn't our intent, I swear. We blame that mantrap Suleen."

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Jarico Profile Photo
Jarico
#11re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 11:36am

I wish I could have been there !!

For what Mister Matt has told me it seems that I missed a very special night.

Anyway, I am glad that some people had such a great time. (specially MM)

I cannot wait to see the DVD.

Mister Matt
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 12:14pm

Actually, the wardrobe malfunction was Bruce's. It was an interesting sight to say the least!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 1:13pm

What a great night! Matt pretty much summed it up quite well. A couple of the highlights that he failed to mention were a rousing, room shaking, full company throttle of JOYFUL JOYFUL! (from Sister Act 2) that showcased two of the best solos of the evening, and the moving ballad June Cool. But the cut HAIRSPRAY songs were all great, and I must correct you, Matt, it was Carley’s understudy that blew us away with It Ain’t Over. As Marc pointed out, this cast is so talented that even the people who sit backstage waiting to go on are incredible. (Sorry, I can’t remember her name. I really wish the program had a song listing and performers names.)

Matt was totally right in saying it was a small private party that we were privileged to attend. Kind of sit around the piano at Marc and Scott’s, have a few cocktails and sing some show tunes.

What I would like to add to Matt’s post is the true feeling that you were seeing young talent that know the meaning of hard work and generosity. All those wanna-be’s on American Idol have nothing on this cast. They are controlled and precise and know when to use their voices for ultimate effect, not just for showing off how long they can hold a note or how many notes they can actually cram into a phrase. It was not only refreshing, but also downright encouraging.

Jim should be so proud for getting this thing together. I got to meet his sister-in –law and she seemed so overwhelmed by the outpouring of generosity. (Not to mention pride for her cute little bro-in-law!)

It was so great to meet Marc, Jim, Eric (Gentry Man) and Matt. (Thanks, Jim, for sneaking me into the second show.)

And contrary to what Marc said, I do not look exactly like my icon. My hair is a bit shorter and darker now, and I have lost a few pounds.

Sorry you all could not make it. It was a night to remember!

PS, Marc, I too loved STUART SAVES HIS FAMILY. What an overlooked gem.

PEACE.
Updated On: 2/10/04 at 01:13 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Mister Matt
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 2:17pm

Which song did Carley sing? I wish I had the DVD to play it again so I could remember everything. I'm getting those two mixed up. They were both great. I do remember that it was the understudy who sang It Ain't Over.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 2:18pm

Carley sang the Barbie song.

PEACE.

DivaMommy
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 3:28pm

Carley's understudy is Keala Settle. I'm so excited to hear your report. I was really hoping that Keala would get a chance to shine, as she always does. From what I've heard, the whole cast is amazingly talented!

Last night, I kept thinking about the fun going on in Chicago. Thanks you all for your reports and links and such. PLEASE keep us updated if there is a video or recording. I'd love to hear it.

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 3:42pm

They were taking pre-orders for the DVD last night, so I am sure that will happen. Keala was indeed a showstopper.

PEACE.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 4:59pm

sounds like great fun! too bad i couldnt go =(

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

JimVukovich Profile Photo
JimVukovich
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 7:08pm

Tonight when I get back from conducting Hairspray, I'll post a complete show list of songs from last night's Marc Shaiman - This Is Your Life Benefit and I'll also list every person who sang Lead and/or Back Up and their roles in Hairspray. Last night was an amazing night. Simply overwhelming........We raised over $14,000.

Mister Matt
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 7:16pm

WOO HOO !!

Congratulations Jim! The event was spectacular. It was a wonderful evening.

DivaMommy
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO !!
Posted: 2/10/04 at 8:30pm

Thank you Jim! We'd love the list.

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO
Posted: 2/10/04 at 9:08pm

SueleenGay

I dont care what you say...you'll always be a blond to me

#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO
Posted: 2/11/04 at 12:28am

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: WOO HOO

simply put...THANK YOU TO EVERYONE....okay marc...i put down the mic....and i'll settle for $1,500 instead of the $2,000 you offered...LOL

much love to everyone involved -- Marc, Jim, Scott, Bruce, etc...YOU'RE THE TOPS! (and better looking than the Mona Lisa)

eric

p.s. -- Phantom is wanting to do one now...hmm...
EVENT PAGE FOR THE BENEFIT

Videos