pixeltracker

Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?

Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?

Piparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
#1Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 9:59am

I see this year's Tonys are at the United Palace Theatre - quite a bit smaller than Radio City. Any thoughts on if they will be selling tickets to the general public, as in years past? I've always wanted to go.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 10:12am

There has been no indication related to that yet. But I don't believe they sold tix to the public at the Beacon, tho his has about 700 more seats.

Might all come down to # of nominees, too. Each Best Play/Musical/Revival nominee needs to be able to accommodate their nominated co-producers with a pair (purchased for about $2,000 each), so categories of 6 or 7 means a much tighter seating situation in the orchestra.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#3Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 10:30am

As Ermengarde said, it will depend on the nominees. I saw they're doing a giveaway/contest for this year. Even if they did offer tickets, I'm sure they won't be cheap. Didn't they have public tickets to the 2021 Tonys for like $1500? I know it was at a smaller theatre, but I wouldn't be surprised if they charge a ridiculous amount for public tickets. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#4Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 12:44pm

I'm pretty suspicious that you'll even be able to see anything from the back of The United Palace's balcony. For that reason alone, I'm not sure industry insiders would want those seats and I'm guessing some over priced tickets will be made available to the general public. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 12:55pm

Jonathan Cohen said: "I'm pretty suspicious that you'll even be able to see anything from the back of The United Palace's balcony. For that reason alone, I'm not sure industry insiders would want those seats and I'm guessing some over priced tickets will be made available to the general public."

The balconies at Radio City suck too. There will no doubt be video screens for people to see the filmed action on stage.

All levels of seating are made available for purchase to shows/nominees/League members, and to my knowledge the upstairs sections are usually filled with friends & family of nominees, office staffers, investors who aren't billed as co-pros, crew, castmembers, etc. The orchestra seats are so limited (and all the nominees must be in the orchestra should they win) that there will be people who HAVE to be seated upstairs. Until they limit the number of Producers who can be eligible to win an award, Tony seating will remain a headache for shows and the League.

If there are public tickets available, I certainly wouldn't expect it before the nominations come out.

Updated On: 3/28/23 at 12:55 PM

hearthemsing22
#6Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:03pm

I agree I think now is way too early to ask-maybe they'll answer this at the end of May or something 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#7Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:26pm

After last year’s controversy of there being rows and rows of empty seats, I sure hope they try to pack the place.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:37pm

Call_me_jorge said: "After last year’s controversy of there being rows and rows of empty seats, I sure hope they try to pack the place."

Think "controversy" is a gross overstatement. Often seats have to be blocked off for filming or other purposes that are none of our business. There's never been a year where they didn't try to pack the place.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#9Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:40pm

In the past haven't the tickets been released the day of the nominations?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10Will Tonys Offer Tickets to General Public This Year?
Posted: 3/28/23 at 5:36pm

Huss417 said: "In the past haven't the tickets been released the day of the nominations?"

Only when it’s held at Radio City Musical Hall, which seats thousands.  

Videos