London Extensions

mufish
#1London Extensions
Posted: 4/2/23 at 3:39pm

General question for those of you more well-versed in the London theatre scene - how common is it that shows get extended? Specifically, I'm wondering about Groundhog Day. I realize it hasn't even started performances yet so it's tough to gauge...

I had my eye on dates in August when I could catch the end of Groundhog Day and an early performance of Next to Normal, but I decided to get a ticket to the Basketball Hall of Fame Induction which is smack dab in the middle of the long weekend that would've allowed me to see both shows on one trip. Now I've got to decide whether to try to do two shorter London trips to see both during their announced runs, or hold out for a bit to see if maybe Groundhog Day gets a few more weeks tacked on to its run.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2London Extensions
Posted: 4/2/23 at 3:44pm

At the Old Vic as of right now, there’s nothing booked in there after “Groundhog Day” until “Christmas Carol”, so unless there’s a short run of something not announced yet they could possibly extend by a few weeks. It’s not unheard of. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3London Extensions
Posted: 4/2/23 at 3:47pm

Groundhog Day won't be able to extend indefinitely since it's happening at the Old Vic (a subscription house), BUT as of now it doesn't look like anything is playing there between GHD's closing on Aug 12 and Christmas Carol's start of previews on November 11. Assuming ticketing demand is there and the space is available, it could conceivably run through late October unless they have another show about to be announced.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4London Extensions
Posted: 4/2/23 at 3:48pm

Well, the Old Vic did extend the musical currently running there Sylvia by a week and there is a gap. I would say very possible. However, this was announced after performances had already begun. If the same happens for Groundhog feels you'd have to wait a while..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

mufish
#5London Extensions
Posted: 4/2/23 at 9:08pm

Thanks for these replies! It looks like the first few weeks of performances have sold pretty well but availability opens up later in the run, so it makes sense that they'd wait for performances to begin to see what kind of word of mouth boost they get. 

I have some degree of hope that I'll get a business trip over there in June/July which would render much of this moot (I could just plan a personal trip around N2N) but ultimately I have seen GHD before, so that's probably the one that gets sacrificed if I end up having to choose. Fingers crossed it all ends up working out though!

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#6London Extensions
Posted: 4/3/23 at 8:04am

I believe there is another production (Play revival) planned between Groundhog Day and Christmas Carol so I'd say its unlikely to extend, and if it did would probably only be a week or two at most.

yyys
#7London Extensions
Posted: 4/3/23 at 8:44am

Speaking of extensions, I am hoping Operation Mincemeat gets extended!

Lauren2
#8London Extensions
Posted: 4/3/23 at 4:50pm

Also on that note is there any chance Bonnie and Clyde and A Streetcar Named Desire would extend into July? Going at that time and am dying to see these productions. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#9London Extensions
Posted: 4/3/23 at 4:55pm

Garrick is booked by Eddie Izzard's Great Expectations starting May 24 and that show was even promoted on the Oliviers, so doubt it would be going to another theatre. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10London Extensions
Posted: 4/11/23 at 11:16pm

Mark_E said: "I believe there is another production (Play revival) planned between Groundhog Day and Christmas Carol so I'd say its unlikely to extend, and if it did would probably only be a week or two at most."

just anounced: Richard Jones' production of PYGMALION with Bertie Carvel and Patsy Ferran, 9/6-10/28. I love Bertie Carvel in a lot of things, but his Higgins is going to be absolutely unsufferable. And we've had a long history of insufferable Higgins'.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#11London Extensions
Posted: 4/11/23 at 11:42pm

Yeah but Patsy in anything is gold!