pixeltracker

Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died

Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died

LarryD2
#1Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died
Posted: 7/9/23 at 8:50am

I'm seeing reports on social media that the actor Jeffrey Carlson has died, including the linked tweet from Time Out New York theater critic Adam Feldman. He was 48.

Carlson made his Broadway debut in the original cast of Edward Albee's The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia? He also appeared in Taboo and the Roundabout revival of Tartuffe. A Juilliard graduate, he appeared frequently in regional theater, usually in classical roles: Hamlet and Mercutio at Shakespeare Theatre Company (Washington, DC); Richard II at Yale Rep; Prince Hal and Edward II at Chicago Shakespeare; Algernon in The Importance of Being Earnest at Paper Mill Playhouse; and others.

Outside of theater, Carlson is probably best known for his stint on All My Children (2006-2007), where he is generally considered to have played the first openly trans character in daytime television. Although he wasn't trans himself, and likely would not be cast in such a role today, it was definitely a cultural milestone in its moment.

It seems that he was living in Chicago in recent years and primarily teaching. The most recent stage acting credit I can find is from 2016; it looks like he was scheduled to do a play in Philadelphia in 2020 that was canceled by the pandemic. A sad loss.

https://twitter.com/FeldmanAdam/status/1677862081545003009?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died
Posted: 7/9/23 at 10:55am

Gregory Treco (now in HAMILTON), who was in the ensemble and the George/Marilyn understudy in TABOO, posted this beautiful tribute with a video on Instagram.

I encourage you to read and watch it.

https://instagram.com/stories/treco27/3143154094227151980?igshid=OGIzYTJhMTRmYQ==

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Owen22
#3Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died
Posted: 7/9/23 at 11:01am

quizking101 said: "Gregory Treco (now in HAMILTON), who was in the ensemble and the George/Marilyn understudy in TABOO, posted this beautiful tribute with a video on Instagram.

I encourage you to read and watch it.

https://instagram.com/stories/treco27/3143154094227151980?igshid=OGIzYTJhMTRmYQ==
"

Wow.  Someone I hadn't thought of in years, though I truly remember thinking he was great in Taboo, Manuscript and The Goat.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#4Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died
Posted: 7/9/23 at 12:49pm

Jeffrey appeared in a production of Cymbeline at Yale Rep in 2018, and he hosted a wonderful and intimate talk back with community. He spoke very candidly of his career, such always losing out on the “big” roles at Juilliard to Lee Pace. He also spoke about working on Taboo, confirming much of the chatter I read or heard over the years without anyone having to pry. From a different person the content he provided could have come across as gossipy or unkind, but I remember loving and appreciating his ability to be so open. As talented as he was, he did come across as someone who was navigating pain, or in the very least, working through something that was no one’s business.

Rest in power, Jeffrey.

verywellthensigh
#5Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died
Posted: 7/9/23 at 3:26pm

Only 48?  My God.

And yes, he was in rehearsals to play the lead in Camus' Caligula when lockdown hit.  I so wish I could have seen it. 

Ensemble1689046468
#6Jeffrey Carlson (Taboo, The Goat) has died
Posted: 7/11/23 at 4:39am

Everyone ought to read what you've written because it contains a wealth of knowledge that can help them become more open-minded. I am extremely appreciative of that. wheel spinner