pixeltracker

Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club

Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club
Posted: 7/15/23 at 6:00pm

I think it's quite remarkable that she is now alongside Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole, Sutton Foster, Liza Minnelli, Lauren Bacall, Donna Murphy and Chita Rivera. So highly deserved for someone that never turns out a bad performance. And what a great group of people with such different styles and vocal textures. I wonder if we could ever see one of them win another and get to 3, which hasn't happened in a very very long time. I guess simply due to age Sutton Foster probably has the best chance. Patti seems to want to stay away from Broadway....I think I'd love Donna Murphy to return to Broadway in a new role soon. It's been far too long. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/15/23 at 06:00 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#2Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club
Posted: 7/15/23 at 6:06pm

The Drama League award Foster won for THE MUSIC MAN makes me feel like a third lead win is possible in a production with less baggage. Hopefully in something new! The love for her is still there. I still think she was #2 to Kalukango.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#3Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club
Posted: 7/15/23 at 9:49pm

Delete. 

Updated On: 7/15/23 at 09:49 PM

JasonC3
#4Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club
Posted: 7/16/23 at 7:53am

As I do with Laurie Metcalf and a few others, I buy a ticket to see anything in which Victoria Clark appears. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#5Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club
Posted: 7/16/23 at 8:08am

I love Victoria Clark and am very happy for her Tony wins.  For those super fans, the Hallmark channel is rerunning their Christmas in July fest. You can see her as the Queen of the fictitious Galwick in One Royal Holiday Thursday 7/20 2pm.

Collingswood
#6Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club
Posted: 7/16/23 at 11:05am

binau said: "I think it's quite remarkable that she is now alongside Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole, Sutton Foster, Liza Minnelli, Lauren Bacall, Donna Murphy and Chita Rivera. So highly deserved for someone that never turns out a bad performance. And what a great group of people with such different styles and vocal textures. I wonder if we could ever see one of them win another and get to 3, which hasn't happened in a very very long time. I guess simply due to age Sutton Foster probably has the best chance. Patti seems to want to stay away from Broadway....I think I'd love Donna Murphy to return to Broadway in a new role soon. It's been far too long."

This is certainly an elite group of musical theater actresses. But if you break it down to original works, the list gets smaller.

Victoria Clark (Piazza & Kimberly Akimbo)

Liza Minnelli (The Act & Flora the Red Menace)

Chita Rivera (The Rink & Kiss of the Spider Woman)

Lauren Bacall (Woman of the Year & Applause) 

Gwen Verdon (Damn Yankees, New Girl in Town, & Redhead)

Mary Martin (South Pacific, Peter Pan, & Sound of Music)

Angela Lansbury (Dear World, Mame, & Sweeney Todd)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Victoria Clark in the '2-time' Best Actress Tony Club
Posted: 7/16/23 at 11:11am

But why would one break it down that way…? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."