pixeltracker

Purlie Victorious or The Cottage

Purlie Victorious or The Cottage

flthrillseeker
#1Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 4:54pm

I have one more slot for my early October trip and having trouble deciding between The Cottage and Purlie Victorious... Let me know your thoughts below!

gibsons2
#2Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 5:02pm

Purlie Victorious,  hands down. 

flthrillseeker
#3Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 5:11pm

gibsons2 said: "Purlie Victorious, hands down."

Have you seen both? What makes it hands down? Anything to compare them to?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 5:43pm

PURLIE VICTORIOUS by a country mile. 

While both are farces with very talented ensemble casts, PV feels like a momentous event because it’s the first time the play has been remounted in 60 years, the satire feels very current, and it’s led by two actors who are at or near the top of their game. With PV, the supporting cast also has more moments to shine that make sense to the story as opposed to the constant mugging and upstaging of The Cottage. Plus the tickets are very easy to get and there is not a bad seat in the house. (I’ve seen it three times now.)

The Cottage…desperately wanted to be this year’s POTUS (and all-star ensemble doing a summer comedy), but ultimately it feels like a zero-calorie Noel Coward or Boeing-Boeing knockoff that, other than providing a welcome return for Laura Bell Bundy, is just two hours of mugging and predictability that grows exhausting. The cast gives their all, but the material is weak as hell. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

gibsons2
#5Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 5:46pm

flthrillseeker said: "gibsons2 said: "Purlie Victorious, hands down."

"

There is some great insightful feedback on Purlie in this thread: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1157366&page=3 

The Cottage is ok, but Purlie is a superior comedy and production. It's unmissable. 

BETTY22
#6Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 6:21pm

Purlie is fantastic.

Just left a matinee that was packed with press people (not, usually a great crowd) However, today was an exception. Slow start but after 15/20 minutes audience was on fire - eating out of the casts hands.

Leslie is a Broadway star - while Heather Alicia Simms as Missy Judson steals the show...sensational. 

Updated On: 9/24/23 at 06:21 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 6:48pm

I didn’t love either of them, but if I had to pick between the two, I would have to say The Cottage.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#8Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/24/23 at 9:53pm

I agree with those who vote for Purlie Victorious....in  a landslide.

The Other One
#9Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/25/23 at 10:23am

I haven't seen The Cottage.  Purlie Victorious doesn't fully pull off its balance of rage and comedy but its cast is terrific and in its best moments I truly laughed out loud.  It's probably a safer bet.

PipingHotPiccolo
#10Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/25/23 at 10:20pm

i saw both, and it isnt even close: Purlie by a mile. The Cottage is perfectly unremarkable, inoffensive fluff. Its amusing, not funny. Purlie is exciting, quirky, and has meat on them bones. 

justinaustin
#11Purlie Victorious or The Cottage
Posted: 9/26/23 at 12:38am

gibsons2 said: "flthrillseeker said: "gibsons2 said: "Purlie Victorious, hands down."

"

There is some great insightful feedback on Purlie in this thread:https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1157366&page=3 geometry dash subzero

The Cottage is ok, but Purlie is a superior comedy and production. It's unmissable.
"

They are good and meaningful responses. I also have the same opinion as you. The Cottage is better.

Videos