pixeltracker

Roundabout retires Access10 discount tickets

Roundabout retires Access10 discount tickets

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#1Roundabout retires Access10 discount tickets
Posted: 10/2/23 at 5:39pm

I haven't seen this announced or discussed anywhere. Apologies if I missed it! Roundabout has retired the Access10 program. I am sad because I was able to see quite a few shows over the years for $10. I guess Roundabout wants to explore different ways of reaching audiences. 

It's curtains for Access10

Updated On: 10/2/23 at 05:39 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2Roundabout retires Access10 discount tickets
Posted: 10/2/23 at 6:01pm

Here's the thing. I LOVE those $10 tickets. There've very little I wouldn't see for $10. I wish that I could still get those sweet sweet $10 tickets. But, the fact of the matter is that those tickets were really just going to the saviest theatre fans and not necessarily to those who benefit most from them. Not saying that there is not overlap. But, there are definitley a lot of people who have benefited from Access10 who probably didn't need it to see the show. I can usually swing $30 for Hiptix tickets if I want to see a Roundabout show, for example. 

Hoping that this can help expand access to theatre to truly underserved groups. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#3Roundabout retires Access10 discount tickets
Posted: 10/2/23 at 6:37pm

Seems like they added a Hiptix program for HS students, and that’s a great initiative. $10 for ages 14-18. They do more plays than musicals and hopefully that’ll get young people to open themselves up to that a little more.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#4Roundabout retires Access10 discount tickets
Posted: 10/2/23 at 6:43pm

Yes, sadly they discontinued the program in the middle of last season. I think 1776 was the last show to have them (or was it The Wanderers?)

jkcohen626 said: "Here's the thing. I LOVE those $10 tickets. There've very little I wouldn't see for $10. I wish that I could still get those sweet sweet $10 tickets. But, the fact of the matter is that those tickets were really just going to the saviest theatre fans and not necessarily to those who benefit most from them. Not saying that there is not overlap. But, there are definitley a lot of people who have benefited from Access10 who probably didn't need it to see the show.I can usually swing $30 for Hiptix tickets if I want to see a Roundabout show, for example.

Hoping that this can help expand access to theatre to truly underserved groups.
"

^This is an intriguing point. I doubt that factored into their decision making, but if they do use this as an opportunity to shift the program to serve those who need it more, then I'd respect that. It's true that it wasn't a great system anyway, but like you said, dang I miss it! Stings even more after they got rid of their volunteer usher program, which I made use of for a while there. And while I'm still HipTix age, I won't be forever lol

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#5Roundabout retires Access10 discount tickets
Posted: 10/2/23 at 6:57pm

JoeW4 said:

"Yes, sadly they discontinued the program in the middle of last season. I think 1776 was the last show to have them (or was it The Wanderers?)"

1776 and You Will Get Sick were the last 2 productions to offer it.