Complete Recordings

EvanstonDad
#1Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:02am

The new complete recording of Oklahoma! has got me on the hunt for other complete recordings of other musicals. I've found a few (The King and I, My Fair Lady, Sweet Charity), but I don't much care for them. In those two cases they're from a while ago and the sound is echo-y and lacking in crispness. In some cases I've cobbled together my own "complete" recordings taking tracks from different versions. 

I know of the complete symphonic versions of Les Miz and Miss Saigon. Any other complete recordings that are particular favorites of y'all? 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:42am

The original Caroline, or Change.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#3Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/5/23 at 11:22am

The 2000 JAY complete studio recording of The Most Happy Fella sounds great, and the included cut songs really flesh out the character of Tony's sister Marie, who only comes across as a bitter semi-villain in the final version of the show.

The original Broadway cast recording of the show is also essentially complete. It's a late mono recording but the sound is really quite good, and the cast is phenomenal. It's only missing a book scene in Act Two where Herman teaches Clio how to attach labels to jars. Full of gentle innuendo, that scene comes off as a little weird when there's no audience to laugh at it, so it's easy to see why it was cut.

Rentaholic2
#4Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/5/23 at 11:23am

The Donmar Warehouse production of Parade.  Not necessarily a favorite of mine (the accents are terrible), but I do appreciate being able to listen to the entire show. 

topcateast
#5Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/5/23 at 12:39pm

The 1998 Papermill Playhouse Recording of Follies. Includes music that didn’t make it into the final production of the show. Conducted by orchestrator Jonathan Tunick, released as a double CD.

chrishuyen
#6Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/5/23 at 4:00pm

Jay Records also put out complete recordings of Anyone Can Whistle and Merrily We Roll Along.  I haven't listened to the latter as much, but the former is quite eye-opening as it has all the extended dance music too.

Shalfoard
#7Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/6/23 at 2:17am

The John McGlinn SHOW BOAT on EMI, the Rob Berman ROBERTA on New World, the John Mauceri THE CRADLE WILL ROCK on Bridge, the John DeMain PORGY & BESS on RCA, the JAY ONE TOUCH OF VENUS.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#8Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/6/23 at 3:48am

There was a complete recording of MAN OF LA MANCHA with the original London cast (Keith Mitchell and Joan Diener). This is not the Jay Records recording from 2000. This was released as a 2-LP set in 1968 by Decca.

It seems to have disappeared; not available digitally anywhere. 

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#9Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/6/23 at 4:02am

BRIGADOON (1992) with Brent Barrett and Rebecca Luker

LADY IN THE DARK (1998)

THE GOLDEN APPLE (2015)

Jay Records has various additional ones as well (https://www.jayrecords.com/complete-recording-of-the-musical-score/).

If you're interested in cast recordings in other languages, there are several German-language complete cast recordings around. Most are for European musicals (REBECCA, ELISABETH, etc), although there are a handful for Broadway shows as well. I like the German-language complete JANE EYRE (2018).

EvanstonDad
#10Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/6/23 at 9:25am

There was a complete recording of MAN OF LA MANCHA with the original London cast (Keith Mitchell and Joan Diener). This is not the Jay Records recording from 2000. This was released as a 2-LP set in 1968 by Decca.

It seems to have disappeared; not available digitally anywhere. 

Would love to hear this. I'm reading Don Quixote for the first time right now lol.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#11Complete Recordings
Posted: 10/6/23 at 1:15pm

The Keith Michell La Mancha has been available (you may need to scroll down or use Ctrl+F/Command+F) since 2010 from the little-known specialty label Klassic Haus Restorations. According to them, it's their top seller. You can have a 2-CD set for 22 bucks, or a 320kbps MP3 version for 10.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky