"I Need That" Seating Advice

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#1"I Need That" Seating Advice
Posted: 11/14/23 at 7:54am

Anyone sit in the boxes at the American for this production?  How "partial" is the view?  One side better than the other? I really don't want to pay alot to see this show!

Updated On: 11/14/23 at 07:54 AM

MemorableUserName
#2I Need That Seating Advice
Posted: 11/14/23 at 10:57am

I know this isn't helpful, but I love this thread title and think it should be used for all shows going forward. "I Need That Seating Advice for Sweeney Todd." "I Need That Seating Advice for Here Lies Love." I would enjoy that.

jbird5
#3I Need That Seating Advice
Posted: 11/14/23 at 11:23am

I think that boxes are a cool way to see shows.  It’s a different perspective.  Also, for larger people, they’re not crammed into a seat designed for people from the 1900s.  I sat in the box for ‘The Price’ and almost felt I was on stage with Danny Devito.  Was thinking of doing it again.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4I Need That Seating Advice
Posted: 11/14/23 at 11:36am

I, too, love this thread title so much. I need that seating advice! 

Jarethan
#5I Need That Seating Advice
Posted: 11/14/23 at 11:52am

It really depends on the theatre and the work.  For example, the boxes in the Winter Garden are awful because the theatre is so wide to begin with.  Yet I have liked my box seats at the Hirschfeld and Sondheim.  

Boxes in theatres with small casts are generally good, but not musicals with a lot of dancing.

Finally, make sure they are on the outer side of the box, not the entrance.  I once sat in a box for a big hit and had to stand for most of the show because the people in front of me were tall.

Finally, when I was young, I would frequently leave my really cheap seats and sit in a box for the second act.  It was generally fun to be so close, but the perspective was frequently skewed, especially with a large cast.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#6I Need That Seating Advice
Posted: 11/14/23 at 12:05pm

I only sat in boxes twice - once for "A Catered Affair" at the Kerr and another time for "One Man, Two Guvnors" at the Music Box. At the Kerr, I was seated stage right. I had a great view of the stage and I didn't feel too close. At the Music Box, I was seated stage left. I had a decent view of the stage, but I felt I had a more birds-eye view of the performance because I was so close to it. Keep in mind that you will not likely view much on the side of the stage which you are seated, but in the case of the two shows I saw, I didn't feel like I missed anything important.

MemorableUserName
#7I Need That Seating Advice
Posted: 11/14/23 at 6:59pm

If it's helpful, there's a review/photo for Left Box seat A1 at "I Need That" on View from My Seat. Sounds like it's a great seat:

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/249284/American+Airlines+Theatre/section-Left+Box/row-A/seat-1/