pixeltracker

Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers

Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers

OuttaTowner
#1Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:29am

A couple of random Q’s to start 2024:

1) Has anyone heard anything about the once-rumored revival of Chess?  Last year, many were all but certain we’d see it with Lea, but since that is unlikely, is the project DOA?

2) More raves from colleagues in the UK about the two-hander, Two Strangers Carry A Cake Across New York.  I see us sold out for the remainder of its run. Any chance we’ll see that here (perhaps at an off-Broadway house)?  I’ve heard that the leads are terrific; however, at least 2 folks have said to me that it’s “too British” to play here. 

chrishuyen
#2Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/2/24 at 11:12am

At least for Chess, it seems it's not going through right now as Lea seems to be involved in a personal project and they might wait for her to do it later.  I have no inside knowledge, but that's what I've gleaned from what's been said on this board.

OuttaTowner
#3Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/2/24 at 3:23pm

I guess producers didn’t have a “plan B,” though I personally can’t think of many bankable names that they could slot in (unless of course Gaga was interested! 😆)

mshalo18
#4Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/2/24 at 3:30pm

Supposedly, it’s still in the works with Jessica Vosk, Lea, and Ramin Karimloo. But who really knows. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/2/24 at 5:09pm

Oh, I loved "Two Strangers". Watching it, I thought how well it could do in NY so I'd love for it to open off-broadway somewhere. And it's not "too British" at all. 

OuttaTowner
#6Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/3/24 at 3:47am

Thanks Jordan. I hear great things about Tutty. Maybe they could christen the new theater in the old Limelight space with this one! 😆

Owen22
#7Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/3/24 at 9:24am

Two Strangers is sorta delightful. I usually end up disliking most new British musicals I see over there, so this was a surprise. Also a surprise: Sam Tutty, who was a very sound but far from distinctive original West End Evan Hansen. And Tutty would most definitely need to travel with the show if it plays NY, as his absolutely charming performance carries it (the female lead, though good, is hardly definitive).

OuttaTowner
#8Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/3/24 at 10:39am

Thanks Owen - I do hope it transfers, but I suspect not, since there’s no buzz here.
I’ve pretty much heard the same from everyone I know who’s seen it. The female lead is good, but Tutty is the real breakout. 

Owen22
#9Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/3/24 at 11:31am

Didn't it sell out almost every performance? That makes it kinda buzzy...

OuttaTowner
#10Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/3/24 at 11:59am

The rest of their run (thru 1/14) is sold out. 

OuttaTowner
#11Chess (Too Quiet) / Two Strangers
Posted: 1/3/24 at 6:30pm

Am thinking it would be nice to see Anna Uzele play opposite Tutty in this here in NYC. 

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#12 Two Strangers
Posted: 1/3/24 at 7:05pm

Kiln Theatre is a small off West End venue in north London. Noticed it is a two character musical. Yes, sold out & closing 20 January. 

OuttaTowner
#13Two Strangers
Posted: 1/5/24 at 6:23am

This might fit nicely in the Daryl Roth Theater once Titanique closes. Looks to be about the same seating capacity as the Kiln. I’ve always liked the space, having seen several shows there. 

OuttaTowner
#14Two Strangers
Posted: 1/12/24 at 9:07am

Just saw that Two Strangers is transferring to the Criterion in the West End in April. Good for them!

(Also saw that you can now stream the OCR on Spotify).