pixeltracker

Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus

Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#1Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus
Posted: 1/19/24 at 4:12am

The Old Vic will host the world premiere of Ella Hickson’s Oedipus, starring Academy Award winner Rami Malek and Olivier Award winner Indira Varma.

Based on Sophocles’ play from c. 429 BC, this adaptation by Old Vic associate artist Ella Hickson will be co-directed by Matthew Warchus and Hofesh Shechter in a strictly limited run from January 2025.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus
Posted: 1/19/24 at 1:03pm

I  love Rami but has he done theatre work before of this caliber? It always seems like he's yelling when he raises his voice above a certain level.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus
Posted: 1/19/24 at 1:33pm

everythingtaboo said: "I love Rami but has he done theatre work before of this caliber? It always seems like he's yelling when he raises his voice above a certain level."

He has a number of stage credits from 15+ years ago and holds a BFA in theater, but this appears to be his most high-profile stage role to date. Per Wikipedia:

Malek went on to study theater at the University of Evansville in Evansville, Indiana. He also spent a semester abroad in England, where he studied at Harlaxton College in Harlaxton, Lincolnshire. During the summer before his senior year, he interned at the Eugene O'Neill Theater Center in Waterford, Connecticut, where he became an acquaintance of playwright August Wilson. Of his decision to attend the University of Evansville theater program, he said, "The level of talent at the University of Evansville was formidable from faculty to fellow actors. There's a commitment and dedication that the theater program required that unearthed a work ethic I didn't know I had." He completed his BFA in 2003.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#4Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus
Posted: 1/20/24 at 12:12am

But is there room for a second Oedipus after the Manville/Strong version that opens a few months before? 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus
Posted: 1/20/24 at 12:32am

“You can never have enough Oedipus” - Oedipus’ Mother

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#6Rami Malek to make London debut in Oedipus
Posted: 1/20/24 at 6:08am

everythingtaboo said: "I love Rami but has he done theatre work before of this caliber? It always seems like he's yelling when he raises his voice above a certain level."

I find his acting on screen unbearable. In every scene he puts on an "acting face". Which never looks real or sincere. 

Many actors are not able to make it feel real, but Malek and for example Judi Dench I find completely unwatchable because of it.

Some critics, directors or casting directors don't seem to understand this. But try it for yourself, zap along tv channels quickly and you immediately see if someone is acting or is real. Good actors in this world are rare.

I always wondered if those people might only be suitable for theatre, where they can get away with an acting style that is not real. A bit more posed, recited, insincere so their "acting face" can reach the back row too.