pixeltracker

THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording

THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/7/24 at 5:53pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-SHINING-Opera-World-Premiere-Recording-Set-For-April-Release-20240307

Lyric Opera of Kansas City will release the world-premiere recording of Paul Moravec and  Mark Campbell’s opera The Shining (2016) on April 12.

Based on the iconic 1977 novel by Stephen  King, the opera enjoyed a world-premiere run at Minnesota Opera in 2016, and now for the first time, can be enjoyed as a  recording in both physical and digital formats. 

The Kansas City Symphony and Lyric Opera of Kansas City Chorus are led by the  eminent conductor Gerard Schwarz and join forces with an cast of soloists.  The main role of Jack Torrance is interpreted by Edward Parks, who was part of the  GRAMMY Award-winning recording of Mason Bates’ The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs,  released on Pentatone in 2018.

jimmycurry01
#2THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/8/24 at 8:33am

I have an MP3file of the radio broadcast of the original Minnesota Opera production. It is interesting if not particularly great. I would be more interested in seeing a production than just listening to it, as the aural experience alone just doesn't quite do it for me with this one.

ijest22
#3THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/8/24 at 11:04am

God, no. I don’t need to hear that again. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#4THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/8/24 at 2:18pm

Oh lord, I just watched a scene with a portly Jack attempting to chase Wendy around with some sort of mallet instead of an axe while she sings a triumphant aria.  This should be buried along with the rest of the Indian remains!

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#5THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/8/24 at 2:26pm

"a portly Jack"

We're still body shaming opera singers? Really?

"with some sort of mallet instead of an axe"

You mean like in the book?

Jesus saves. I spend.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#6THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/8/24 at 3:15pm

okay, so the definitely un-portly guy did look like he was carrying a crochet mallet, not to mention the bear/dog? crawling on the floor.  

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#7THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/8/24 at 3:29pm

I didn't find this to be a particularly great opera, but it's always nice to have new works properly recorded (still waiting on the two most recent Mazzoli pieces).

Hey, Zelda! Profile Photo
Hey, Zelda!
#8THE SHINING opera will receive a cast recording
Posted: 3/8/24 at 8:03pm

An orchestral suite also dropped recently, apparently.