Living Broadway Legends

Theatrefanboy1
#1Living Broadway Legends
Posted: 3/18/24 at 2:20pm

Had a conversation today with a friend about what seems to be the complete passing of a generation of theatre legends with the likes of Angela Lansbury and Michael Gambon, and Chita Rivera and others passing away. We began to try and brainstorm are there any other working Broadway/theatre legends in that 80+ category or have we essentially moved on to Lupone and Peters being the “older living legends” category.  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Living Broadway Legends
Posted: 3/18/24 at 5:48pm

In terms of divas, I'm looking at lists and if we are talking true legends it does indeed seem that Bernadette and Patti may now be the oldest living theatre legends. That's crazy! I do not take them for granted. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Living Broadway Legends
Posted: 3/18/24 at 5:56pm

Although not a Broadway diva the same way Bernadette et al are, Estelle Parsons is 96 and still doing work! 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#4Living Broadway Legends
Posted: 3/18/24 at 6:02pm

I guess some might debate the definition of "legend," but for my money, I'd throw these names into the mix:

Joel Grey, James Earl Jones, Carol Burnett, John Kander (97 years old!), Julie Andrews, Liza Minnelli, Barbra Streisand (I know I know, she only did 2 Broadway shows, but come on!)

Also, John Cullum may not be as well-known as some of the above, but he's had a long and illustrious Broadway career, and he just turned 94!

Theatrefanboy1
#5Living Broadway Legends
Posted: 3/18/24 at 6:07pm

See I had mentioned Barbra and Liza and Julie andrews in my conversation but was corrected that none of them had done a live “theatre” run in more than 10-15 years. But I definitely agree that they are still active in creating and the arts.  

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#6Living Broadway Legends
Posted: 3/18/24 at 6:09pm

Betty Buckley

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 3/18/24 at 06:09 PM

Videos