pixeltracker

Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello

Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/6/24 at 9:40am

June 13-July 21

Ensemble Member Laurie Metcalf comes home to Steppenwolf to star in Little Bear Ridge Road, a comic, cosmic and intimate world premiere, penned by MacArthur Fellow Samuel D. Hunterand directed by Tony Award winner Joe Mantello.

In the outer limits of rural Idaho, the last two estranged members of the Fernsby family tree, a reclusive aunt and her gay nephew, reunite to sort the mess left behind after a troubled father's passing. They now face an uncomfortable and universal question: how do we deal with other people? And is connection more trouble than it’s worth? As their relationship begins anew, the two reluctant Fernsbys—separated by age and experience—start to understand the joys and perils of letting someone else into your own story, even if only for a moment.

Little Bear Ridge Road will be performed in Steppenwolf's Downstairs Theater.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#2Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/6/24 at 2:18pm

cannot wait to see this.  Joe and Laurie!  Tickets purchased 

BoringBoredBoard40
#3Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/6/24 at 2:25pm

seeing this in mid-july, very excited

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#4Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/15/24 at 10:53pm

Caught the first 3 evening previews - Thursday thru Saturday - and Metcalf is as magnetic as ever.

The very simple staging allows the audience to focus on the story and the performances.

The set is simply a shiny gray, 3-seat sofa that sits atop a round swatch of gray carpet. A ceiling fan whirls above.

Though it’s a four-person cast, Meighan Gerachis does not appear until the final scene.

Sound effects have been added since the first night when Metcalf’s character is offstage searching for a top sheet or wrangling coffee mugs.

I like that the script identifies the passage of time over a few days, a few months, or a few years.

Micah Stock and John Drea’s scenes at the Wagon Wheel and at Metcalf’s Idaho home are fluid and real.

Stock and Metcalf (nephew and aunt) bond over television, their family name, and stubborn independence. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#5Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/15/24 at 11:31pm

Well that review is semi spoiler territory 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

MidWestTheater
#6Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/18/24 at 11:59am

Got to check out one of the first previews of Little Bear Ridge Road and it's a really lovely small play, that packs a wallop in it's ending. Not a lot of dry eyes leaving the theater that afternoon. I"m not has familiar with the works for Samuel D. Hunter (really couldn't stand the whale), but this is a pretty solid piece, about a 30 something year old man who comes to his small hometown in Idaho to settle the sale of his later fathers home. He goes to stay with his aunt, played by the always great Laurie Metcalf, who has pretty much isolated herself after her husband left her many years ago. Since this is a homecoming play, of course secrets are revealed, the past is ressurected, and an outside love interest tries to help our main character break-through. However this is all done on a much smaller scale and never goes into hysterics. It's also very funny, as the only thing that aunt and nephew are able to bond over is a streaming television show about aliens. For me the real breakthrough performance comes from actor Micah Stock. He's funny, he's able to hold his own with the legendary Ms. Metcalf, and has a gutpunch of acting towards the end that had me in tears. This is a very small show, the set just consisted of a 3 person recliner couch, which the actors move to represent different places. I'm sure this play is aiming for a NYC run, since it is also directed by Joe Mantello (who was in the audience), and it's pretty solid to go, but definetly either off-broadway or in the smallest broadway house there is.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#7Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/18/24 at 12:06pm

Thanks for that review! I’m hoping we’ll get one of his plays on Broadway soon. Would have loved for Case for the Existence of God to have transferred.

Jmuep2
#8Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:30am

suzycat said: "Thanks for that review! I’m hoping we’ll get one of his plays on Broadway soon. Would have loved for Case for the Existence of God to have transferred."

This week, I'm praying Will Brill's Tony win makes that happen. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#9Metcalf stars in Hunter’s LITTLE BEAR RIDGE ROAD at Steppenwoolf, directed by Mantello
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:39am

suzycat said: "Thanks for that review! I’m hoping we’ll get one of his plays on Broadway soon. Would have loved for Case for the Existence of God to have transferred. "

We just had a production of this in Melbourne Australia, and while I enjoyed it. It was for me a semi forgettable play. Moments of brilliance, that sadly had moments of nothingness. I’m not sure this is really Broadway caliber. Of course a powerhouse couple could and would change that. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Videos