The Laramie Project

Techieboi
#0The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:00pm

I was wondering if anyone on the site has seen, The Laramie Project. I am currently working on a lighting desing for it for a class project, and if anyone has any advice/comments/suggestions let me know.

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#1re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:19pm

My school is getting ready to do the show right now. I haven't seen it on the stage, but I have read the play and seen the movie.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

FindingNamo
#2re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:20pm

I saw the original cast and then later I saw a community theater production of it that was suprisingly effective. The first time I saw it I really wasn't thrilled with the first two acts, I kept thinking they were going to do exactly what the story didn't call for, which was to make a martyr (and a saint) out of Matthew Shepard. But then, the third act suprised me when it actually did not do that. And that is how I learned to love The Laramie Project. When I saw the community production I was interested if it wouldn't work without the original people from Tectonic who did the interviewing in Laramie. But it worked very well.

A scrim with a slide of an impossibly blue sky over a low, distant horizon is a very effective mood setter.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#3re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:34pm

How funny is this? I just finished watching the movie. It was amazing.

FindingNamo
#4re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:45pm

And only about half as long as the stage show.

Dollypop
#5re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/5/04 at 11:52pm

I saw the original New York production of THE LARAMIE PROJECT ans was deeply moved by it. It was a fine production and the acting was truly excellent. However, that was a few years ago and I really can't recall the specifics of it. Wish I could be more helpful.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#6re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/6/04 at 12:17am

I was in a college production of The Laramie Project last year. We stuck to one simple set, a sky and fence backround- with diff lighting to seperate days/scenes.

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/6/04 at 12:23am

whats the cast size for this show? and is it good for high school?

FindingNamo
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/6/04 at 12:28am

My sister brought her high school daughter to another high school's production last year and reported that the football players sitting behind them (they were supporting a team member in the cast) were crying like little girlie men by the end.

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/6/04 at 12:31am

sounds powerful, whats the cast size?

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/6/04 at 1:18am

I think it's about 8-10

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/6/04 at 2:14am

GREAT show - I saw it twice in LA - same cast and same creative team, but two different theatres. The first was a very small intimate theatre where there were only about 100 seats. It seemed to work better in an intimate setting - because the actors really drew you in to it when you could see every emotion up close. I saw it a year later in a much larger theatre and though I loved it, it didn't have quite the same impact...

It's still one of the best straight plays I've seen recently. It's wonderfully written and VERY moving.

MyNameInLights
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:59pm

As far as cast size, my school's cast is sixteen people playing a minimum of four roles each.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:15pm

This was a beautiful movie.

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:33pm

My friend and I brought a couple of carloads of high school kids to see the original production a few years back (August 2000, maybe?) It profoundly affected each one of the kids. I remember posting on another board after coming home, that I thought it should be required viewing for all high school students. I'm happy to see that it's becoming a popular choice for school productions. I saw it done a couple of years ago by a school in Montclair, NJ, and it lost nothing...none of the emotion and none of the impact...from the original.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/29/04 at 11:49pm

I love this show. I think it's brilliant. About 3 years ago one of the high schools in our states drama competition did it and was very good, my community theater did it and it was breathtaking, and we are doing it at my school next year! I can't wait!

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

MyNameInLights
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: The Laramie Project
Posted: 4/29/04 at 11:50pm

I'm so excited, I get to see it tomorrow!

Videos