pixeltracker

ASSASINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?- Page 3

ASSASINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?

lvpblues
#50re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/27/04 at 12:57am

"Avenue Q" deserves a long and healthy run despite any awards ceremonies. The awards are just the icing on the cake.

~K

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#51re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 12:50am

Wicked will win best musical. Period.
Assassins will win best revival. Period.
Avenue Q may have a shot at book, like Urinetown did against Producers, but we'll see what happens.

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#52re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 2:02pm

Urinetown against the Producers...what??

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#53re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 2:28pm

If Wicked wins it will be a dark day on Broadway - when drivel like that can take an award over just about anything else out there - it doesn't bode well for what Broadway stands for.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
LouW95
#55re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 2:47pm

Beauty & The Beast lost to Passion but look at which show really won-----the ticket buyers are the true award givers.

Becky
#56re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 3:05pm

If Wicked wins it will be a dark day on Broadway

That opinion is subjective. After 25 years of seeing theater, it's one of the most beautiful, entertaining, and enjoyable shows I've seen to date. I'd be thrilled if it won. But, of course, that's just me.

redhotinnyc2
#57re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 3:32pm

Becky - believe me - I mean no offense by that remark - but I think that Wicked is just amatuerish when compared to the writing of someone like Stephen Sondheim. Schwartz' lyrics are just moderately passable and can't hold a candle to the smarter lyricists out there.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#58re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 3:36pm

Not only that...and I know this opinion is not in the majority...but the design of WICKED was HIDEOUS!!!

It was just so...ugly.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

redhotinnyc2
#59re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 3:50pm

Yup Robbie - I agree...I think the show in general comes off like some midwest highschool wrote and directed and designed it - but I DO like the talent on stage - its just not enough to have wonderful people singing mediocre crap. (not for THOSE ticket prices)

Plum
#60re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 3:56pm

Lou, I really, really disagree with you. If you think making more money is the sign of a show's "true" victory...well...

*mumbles something impolite*

Broadway theater is about making money yes, but it's also art. You can prioritize one over the other, but you're dead wrong if you completely eliminate one from the equation. IMO, of course. Go...listen to Sunday in the Park With George or something. Beauty may still be running, but Sondheim is going to be remembered as one of the all-time greats of musical theater.

In 50 years, the fluff shows will be forgotten, only to be replaced by more fluff. (Which is fine- fluff can be fun, after all). But the great shows- the ones written by the Sondheims of the world- will be revived and remembered. Money is nice, but it's fleeting. For me, getting in people's heads and staying there is the real victory for a show.

redhotinnyc2
#61re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 3:59pm

Plum - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...you summed up what I've been thinking for the past few seasons - Art cannot be replaced. If it is, we'll all shrivel up and die.

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#62re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 5:50pm

WICKED!!!

Defy Gravity!!

dramaqueen Profile Photo
dramaqueen
#63re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:29pm

revival-and if not wicked should still win

:) cco

#64re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:33pm

ill give my opinion in a week when i finally see wicked.

LouW95
#65re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:38pm

I love art as much as the next person but I love WORKING ACTORS even more!!! Updated On: 4/29/04 at 09:38 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#66re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:49pm

Unless Sondheim gets a big sympathy vote ( this may be his last chance at a Tony), I have to say Wicked. I am still perplexed this can be a new musical but nt LSOH

Poster Emeritus

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#67re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 1:42am

Hello! Assassins will be a revival.
And to REDHOT, for someone who believes in SUPPORTING theatre and the cause you sure tear up everything.

redhotinnyc2
#68re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 8:57am

Wasn't James Barbour amazing? I'm glad I had a chance to see him do this.

Updated On: 4/30/04 at 08:57 AM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#69re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 10:57am

I have seen Wicked, Avenue Q, Assassins, Caroline Or Change and Wonderful Town. I loved all of them but my favorite show this year is Avenue Q. If there was a god Avenue Q would win the Tony for best musical. Wonderful Town would win best revival.
I loved Caroline or Change and would want it to win some awards.
I thought the women in Wicked were incredible but of the others it was my least favorite.
Avenue Q is still my favorite followed by Caroline or Change and Wonderful Town. Assassins is brilliant what a tough year. So many great shows to choose from.
Updated On: 4/30/04 at 10:57 AM

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#70re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 2:25pm

The problem with Avenue Q (according to conversations I have listened in upon) is that a lot of long time theatre people are kind of pissed that it's doing so well. They salute the comedy, and the use of puppetry, and the innovations that they have accomplished, but at the same time, the music is very simple, and it's not that great of a "musical". It's the best rated R episode of Sesame Street ever, but as far as what some people are trying to do on Broadway (steer clear of fluff and get "serious") they are bitter that two guys can throw this up and take off.

This is not my opinion, but some of what I have overheard.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#71re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 2:30pm

Not to diss AVE. Q (which I found very enjoyable), but I'm wondering just what the innovations were that this show put forth?

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#72re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 2:43pm

Referring to the actual use of other puppet characters "next" to the actual actors is I think it what they were referring to...
Innovations is a terrible word to use I agree.

Plum
#73re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 2:51pm

How innovative are any of the shows this season? Boy From Oz? No, not really. Taboo? Maybe a bit. Wicked? Uh, no. Bombay Dreams? Only superficially. Never Gonna Dance? 'Nuff said.

Grading on innovation isn't really the best way to go this season. Avenue Q isn't necessarily revolutionary, but it is different. It's also fun, well-performed, and not as bloated as certain other productions. Yes, the songs are simple, but that's intentional.

And I really disagree with the mystery people you talk about, Jamie. Not that great of a "musical"? What on earth is that supposed to mean? Avenue Q fits the R&H model pretty well as far as I can tell. D'you mean that there isn't enough spectacle? Are we still stuck in the days of "No gals, no gags, no chance?" And it isn't "serious" enough? Wah? Do you want a serious show? A spectacle-driven one? Both? Or what? The only "serious" musicals this season are Assassins and Caroline, and Change, neither of which is likely to win Best Musical this season. Are they disgruntled about that? Why take it out on Avenue Q when they have the giant, shiny target of Wicked?

I realize this isn't your opinion, though. I'm just wondering at the people who are thinking that way.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#74re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ASSASSINS OR WICKED? Who will take the Tony?
Posted: 4/30/04 at 3:02pm

Um...I never said something had to be innovative to win the Tony. I just don't understand the use of the term when it comes to AVE. Q (it gets used A LOT around here). It's very traditional in structure.

The use of puppets isn't a good benchmark either, because of THE LION KING. LION KING took elements of world theatre unfamiliar to many Americans and married it with Western showbiz traditions. I'd call that innovative.

AVE. Q is a hoot. I had a great time. But, in terms of musicals, there's nothing really innovative about it.