Your Most Favourite OBC CD's

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#0Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:34pm

There are some of those original cast recordings that are absolutely amazing. You can feel the chemistry between the singers, and you can really feel the characters coming out. Name some of those that you have listened to.

Chicago - with Gwen and Chita
Wicked - enough said with this one
RENT
The Producers

These are just a few of the ones I have grown fond of. Name some more!

You've gotta have heart AND music

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#1re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:38pm

RENT and AVENUE Q are the best in terms of feeling the chemistry of the cast.

WICKED
URINETOWN
HAIRSPRAY
SEUSSICAL Updated On: 4/29/04 at 08:38 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:42pm

No one can top the OBC of RENT! No one!!! I can't think of any others that I don't have complaints about....

#3re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:43pm

West Side Story is nothing short of terrific either.

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#4re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:45pm

RENT

ill post more as i think

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#5re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:48pm

RENT RENT RENT

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:49pm

How about ones that are a bit older than that? Can anyone think of those ones?

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 8:56pm

RENT, WICKED, COMPANY, A CHORUS LINE, URINETOWN, AVENUE Q, WEST SIDE STORY, CHICAGO, THE FANTASKTICKS, and LES MISERABLES

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 5/2/04 at 08:56 PM

#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:01pm

I completely forgot about The Fantasticks. I really liked Pippin as well.

#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:17pm

WICKED
CHICAGO
RENT
FOSSE
NINE
GYPSY

CATSNYrevival
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:18pm

I disagree I think the 1993 Japan Tour Cast Recording of THE FANTASTICKS is infinitely more entertaining than the OBC. Not to mention more complete having recorded the entire score. It rocks! Plus it also has the song "A Perfect Time To Be In Love" that El Galo sang in one of the tours. I think prior to "Soon It's Gonna Rain". Updated On: 4/29/04 at 09:18 PM

CATSNYrevival
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:20pm

again...I think the new Bernadett Peters recording of GYPSY is way better. Just because it's the most complete.

#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:22pm

I love the revival of Gypsy for that reason too. But for me, nothing beats Ethel Merman.

#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:22pm

I love the revival of Gypsy for that reason too. But for me, nothing beats Ethel Merman.

CATSNYrevival
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:29pm

Yeah, I tend to pick the ones that are most complete. Like CABARET for example. I LOVE the revival cast recording, but the Jay Records one also has whole recorded scenes and tons of deleted numbers. Okay well....a few deleted numbers...

#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:33pm

Yes, I do agree. That's why I tend to favor the Chicago London Cast over the Broadway Revival Cast Recordings because the Chicago LC has the Act One Finale and some dialouge in the songs thats left out on the revival CD.

Oh, I want to add Beauty And The Beast for my favorite OBC recordings.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:33pm

Parade
Thorougly Modern Millie
Rent
Urinetown
The Life
Hairspray
Wicked

I like a lot of Off-Broadway Cast Recordings too. I really love A NEW BRAIN, THE LAST FIVE YEARS, BAT BOY, ZANNA DON'T!, SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD, and LIPPA'S THE WILD PARTY.

"They hear drums. We hear music."
Updated On: 4/29/04 at 09:33 PM

NYCbabe3789
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:36pm

Lippa's THE WILD PARTY is great as well. Probably the best off-Broadway recording I own.

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:41pm

hairspray..lsoh..rent..wicked...grease

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

CATSNYrevival
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:58pm

Again, I like the London BEAUTY AND THE BEAST better because it has a little bit more dialogue.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 10:00pm

rent, aida, les miz, wicked, avenue Q....Can't just pick one.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

lvpblues
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 10:04pm

"Carnival!" - Love the score, love Jerry Orbach and Kaye Ballard
"A Chorus Line" - A true Broadway classic.
"Follies" - Required listening for any Broadway fan
"The Grass Harp" - heartwarming - one of my favorite of the flops
"Kismet" - I love Joan Diener and "Not Since Ninevah" (not to mention Alfred Drake. I enjoy Doretta Morrow's Marsinah, but not as much as I enjoy Lee Venora's on the Lincoln Center recording)
"A Little Night Music" - Exquisite.
"Man of La Mancha" - Kiley is brilliant - and then there's Diener... re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
"The Most Happy Fella" - one of the most glorious cast albums ever produced
"Nine" - My favorite Maury Yeston score in an exciting performance (Raul Julia, Liliane Montevecchi and especially Anita Morris)
"On the Twentieth Century" - One of my favorite scores of the 70s... a true delight
"110 in the Shade" - An obscure, but outstanding musical. Such a high calibre score with a high calibre cast.
"Ragtime" - My personal favorite musical of the 90s
"She Loves Me" - One of my all time favorite charmers. "Ice Cream" is so wonderful, particularly after seeing Barbara Cook perform it live in 'Mostly Sondheim'.
"Shenandoah" - John Cullum is genius
"1776" - What a novel concept for a musical - and so successful at that!
"Sweeney Todd" - Sondheim's masterpiece, in my opinion.

~Kevin Updated On: 4/30/04 at 10:04 PM

Plum
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 10:10pm

A Little Night Music- Anyone who says Sondheim isn't melodic needs to listen to this.
Company- The energy on this recording is through the roof.
Sunday in the Park With George- Sensing a theme? Heehee. Bernadette Peters is sensational here.
Sweeney Todd- Angela Lansbury. Mrs. Lovett. 'Nuff said.

Hmm...OBCs only? That rules out a lot of my favorites, which are either revivals, London, or Off-Broadway productions. So I'll stick with this list for now.

NYCbabe3789
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 10:11pm

Am I the only person who can't stand the OBCR of Pippin? I love the music, but, IMO, all of the voices on the CD sounded very raspy and overall I did not like the quality.

CATSNYrevival
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Most Favourite OBC CD's
Posted: 4/29/04 at 10:13pm

I HATE, HATE the OBC of PIPPIN... mostly cuz' I hate PIPPIN, but that's a different story all together.....

Videos