Bye Bye Birdie Review!

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#0Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 11:49am

Hey, all! I went last night, and had a great time; I had pretty bad seats, but we moved at intermission, so it was fine. Bye Bye Birdie Review! Here's my review of the show:

The casting was perfect. Daniel Jenkins was a wonderful Albert; he reminded me a little bit of Doug Sills/Tom Hanks, but he was perfect for the role, Karen Ziemba was FABULOUS....one of the most polished triple threats I've ever seen. In the Shriner's Ballet, her dancing was fabulous, and they added a little combination for her at the end of "One Boy". She also sounded beautiful in every song she sang, and her comedic timing was pretty good. My LOVE, Jessica Grove, was of course perfect in every way; she was absolutely adorable and she had a beautiful soprano. Bob Gaynor as Conrad was absolutely perfect; he has quite the voice, and he could certainly move. Walter Bobbie was a very funny Mr. Macafee. There was a lot of applause after some of his one-liners throughout the show. And Doris Roberts was one of the highlights of the show. Enough can't be said about the comedic ability of this woman; she was PERFECT.
The choreography was pretty impressive, for putting it together in such a short time. The costumes were great as well, and the set was bright, colorful, and quite fitting.

Overall, I had a wonderful time. Any questions, I'll be glad to answer. Bye Bye Birdie Review!

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#1re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 12:42pm

Yey- I love Bye Bye Birdie! I wish I could have seen it. I cant wait to see Jessica Grove star in something- I think she will one day win a Tony Award- She's excellent.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#2re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 1:18pm

I love Jessica! She is very amazing! I agree with you elphie! So when did she stop TMM? I think this is perfect for her, she is gonna take off nowre: Bye Bye Birdie Review!

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#3re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 1:19pm

P.S Her and Devin are soooo cute together

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#4re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 2:41pm

I think she's still in MILLIE.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#5re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 2:55pm

Yes, she's still in Millie---an understudy or Swing is going on for her now, I suppose. One day she WILL star in something; a show should be written for her and Deven.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#6re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 4:53pm

Didnt she join Millie at 18 years old?

"They hear drums. We hear music."

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#7re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 6:55pm

BIRDIE is one of the worst musicals of all time.

YAY.

-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Dollypop
#8re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 10:06pm

Sorry, Billy. If I'd seen this I wouldn't have posted my own thread on the show. It seems that we agree on how good it was.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#9re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 10:10pm

i think it was les miz she joined at 18...the millie.

Ballet3689
#10re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/8/04 at 11:56pm

When Jess joined Millie she was 19 and turned 20 during rehearsals. She's a great gal. re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!

broadwayguy2
#11re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:03am

yes, she DID turn 20 during rehearsals...
I have adored Jess since seeing her in The Wizard of Oz. She deserves all the happiness ad sucess she can find in life. She is an incedibly talented triple threat performer and a true gem of a person.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#12re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 3:35pm

Any pics? I know the show's corny, but it's adorable!!! It's not meant to make you think, it's why I love some musicals. Ya just sit back, relax and enjoy it. (I WOULD LOVE to play Mama some day, too. I love character roles)

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

BroadwayGal Profile Photo
BroadwayGal
#13re: Bye Bye Birdie Review!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 3:42pm

Yay for Jessica.. I saw the show yesterday at 2pm and it was GREAT! I love her voice so much. Jess is definitely one of my favorite performers as well as one of my favorite people. Always great to talk to and always shines in whatever show she's in. =) Claps for her!

*Don't dream too far, don't lose sight of who you are*

Videos