Star Gazing in Hollywood

Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile Photo
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex
#0Star Gazing in Hollywood
Posted: 5/30/03 at 2:41pm

Just thought I'd share a little of our experience at The Producers opening at The Pantages Theatre in Hollywood last night. Rex and I had a great time enjoying official opening of The Producers in L.A. and our thoughts on the show are shared on another thread. But I wanted to share a little of the Hollywood Premiere experience.

It started trying to navigate our way to The Pantages with an entire block of Hollywood Blvd being blocked off for The Producers creating a traffic nightmare, but this is L.A. what else would you expect. Red carpet lined the street with a VIP lane for the limos. All the celebrity TV shows and reporters were set up outside interviewing whomever they could grab before the show. The Animal Planet channel of course wanted an interview with Rex but he avoided them by sliping in unnoticed wearing his formal shades.

Inside we got to hang around a number of celebrities, almost all from the Hollywood film industry. Our best perspective came at intermission when everyone went to the lobby, we stayed in our seats and so did most of the celebrities. Those we saw included:

Tom Hanks
Rita Wilson
Billy Crystal
Tim Allen
Alec Baldwin
Goldie Hawn
Larry David* - Rex's personal hero!
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Carl Reiner
Rob Reiner
Bea Arthur
Joanne Worly
Estelle Harris
Red Buttons
and of course Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft

After the show, we did manage to end up with the invited guests strolling down Hollywood Blvd. a on two block long roped off Red Carpet (I kid you not) to the Hollywood Palladium. Alas, when we arrived, we lost interest seeing a line of about a 1000 people trying to get in. Rex said he'd rather go to Pink's and have a chili dog!

Overall the evening was alot of fun. The show was great. The atmosphere was electric. And Rex looked very cool!

My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.

CJR
#1re: Star Gazing in Hollywood
Posted: 5/30/03 at 2:48pm

that's awesome! sounds like you had a great time!

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Standing O Profile Photo
Standing O
#2Playbill?
Posted: 5/30/03 at 2:49pm

Did they have special playbills for this opening night?

#3Producers L.A. playbill
Posted: 5/30/03 at 3:23pm

No, the playbill on opening night was the same one used when I went the first time on May 2nd, it does have Jason Alexander & Martin Short on the cover.

By the way, I still have 4 or 5 extra of the Producers L.A. playbill. If you're a fan and would like one, just send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one (U.S. only please).

My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.

KB
#4re: Star Gazing in Hollywood
Posted: 5/30/03 at 3:37pm

Glad you enjoyed it! That's a stellar list of celebs out there too.

KB

Eleven Profile Photo
Eleven
#5re: Star Gazing in Hollywood
Posted: 5/30/03 at 3:43pm

Red Buttons is alive? I really thought he was no longer with us.

Max Bialystock Profile Photo
Max Bialystock
#6Red Buttons....
Posted: 5/30/03 at 4:48pm

Just cause he was there doesn't mean he's alive.
Don't you watch the E-Channel, ever???
Hooray for Hollywood................!

Breathlessly,
Max

Fondly, as ever, Max

Deannaizme Profile Photo
Deannaizme
#7re: Star Gazing in Hollywood
Posted: 5/30/03 at 4:59pm

Wow. It sounds like you and Rex had a really great time! I'm totally envious. :)

Deanna

#8re: Red Buttons....
Posted: 5/30/03 at 10:21pm

I believe that Red Buttons is now 84 and counting.

DofB5
#9WOW! You and Rex are true party animals.
Posted: 5/31/03 at 10:06am

If Rex did get interviewed by Animal Planet, how would you keep up with the fan mail?

WOW!  You and Rex are true party animals.
D

Videos