News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The Apple Tree?

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#0The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 5:14pm

Anyone know where I can get this recording?
It's not on amazon.com
Do I just have to go on eBay and cross my fingers?

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#1re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 5:17pm

Of course not!

You can go to the fabulous...
Footlight Records

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

~FloweryFriend~
#2re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 5:18pm

Thanks!!!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#3re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 5:19pm

What's miiiiiiine is youuuuuuuuurs... ya know it!
Yeah, yeah ...

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#4re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:21pm

Go here too, it'll really help
The Apple Tree

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#5re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:26pm

You mean my best Barbara Harris imitation wasn't enough?

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

~FloweryFriend~
#6re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:30pm

It's good to have a little of each, magruder.
Your imitation was indeed extremely helpful.

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#7re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:32pm

Please just dont sing "Gorgeous" the way that she does, good god

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

FosseFan
#8re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:33pm

On a similar note, does anyone know where i can get the sheet music to the song "Movie Star" from this show? Thanks!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#9re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:39pm

Ahem...

I am such a diviiiiiiiiine me
Every studio will siiiiiiiign me
Who ever saw such a complete WOWWWWW!
Nobody will say no to me NOWWWWWW!
No one...
Is as...
GORGEOUS
as I - IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
AM!

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#10re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 6:46pm

Actually, it IS available on amazon.com. For some bizarre reason THE APPLE TREE and the other SONY BROADWAY CDs (IRMA LA DOUCHE, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, OVER HERE!, TWO BY TWO, BAJOUR, etc.) are under the Classical Music section.

Oh, and pick up the "Broadway's Lost Treasures" DVD to see Babara Harris' performance of the aformentioned "Gorgeous" from the first nationally televised Tony Award show from 1967.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 6/16/04 at 06:46 PM

#11re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 10:58pm

The devine Passionella....

"...If I could only be a moooovie star..."

"...look at the way all the parts fit together..."
I am such devine me all the studios will sigh me..."

"Who, who, who who who is she?...

Who is she and where's she off to tonight?

...unless she's an underground movie star...

I'm Passionella, that's who I am."

"FANS:...Did you know I stole your slippers?
PASSIONELLA: I knew.
FANS: Pictures of you fill my bedroom.
PASSIONELLA: Mine too...

FANS: Passionella, you're my idol
PASSIONELLA: Of course.
FANS: How I long to look like you do.
PASSIONELLA: You should..."

Ya gotta love THE APPLE TREE

Updated On: 6/15/04 at 10:58 PM

#12re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/15/04 at 11:17pm

PASSIONELLA:

"...Fans, fans, fans, fans, fans
When I see my adoring public
I remember the girl I was
All alone and on the shelf...

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#13re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 8:40am

I'm with Jose on this. Gotta love it. Wonderful show. Interestingly, aside from the Harris performance, APPLE TREE was considered a disappointment, something of a middle-brow contrivance in its day. By current standards, it almost sounds like a neglected classic. The LADY/TIGER 2nd act misfires, but there are real gems in both ADAM/EVE and PASSIONELLA.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#14re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 8:42am

Whatever happened to Barbara Harris, anyway? The last thing I saw her in was Hitchcock's Family Plot, and she was so funny I practically p***ed my pants. I bet she was amazing in On A Clear Day...

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#15re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 9:07am

I think she's living in Scottsdale, Arizona.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

#16re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 7:56pm

Thanks to Flowery Friend and Magruder. Your enthusiasm caused me to pull my CD from the shelf and listen last night. I fell in love with it all over again.

If you haven't heard THE APPLE TREE rush to find the nearest copy. Barbara Harris clearly demonstrates theatre star presence. Don't neglect her ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER, either.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#17re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 8:06pm

I love THE APPLE TREE! My favorite is the Adam/Eve in Act One. Had me rolling in stitches the first time I heard the CD!

ON A CLEAR DAY... is a flat out GREAT CD. The only bad song? "When I'm Being Born Again". Yeech!

Until I started listening to Broadway cast albums I only knew Barbara Harris as "Jodie Foster's mom in "Freaky Friday"".

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#18re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 8:39pm

Yes, don't APPLE TREE and ON A CLEAR DAY preserve what gifts to the musical theater Harris offered? She's perfect in both shows. When Encores! revived CLEAR DAY with Kristin Chenoweth (sorry to introduce her name in this thread), it was clear that that show had a wonderful score and no book -- or as Chenoweth herself pointed out, no 2nd act. It went nowhere. The Streisand film is a little better, but mired in some cheesey 60s/70s aesthetic.

Anyway, the APPLE TREE recording, as Jose testifies, is a tribute to the heydey of a certain era of musical theater. I wish ENCORES would take on APPLE TREE. It's far more worthy of rediscovery than BIRDIE, right Jose? APPLE TREE is a bit of a buried treasure, whereas something like BIRDIE never really went away.

Yeah, Harris lives in AZ. She's a legenday eccentric. A friend of mine did a benefit with her, and said she's still got the hot talent. Want to see her in a great movie performance, aside from NASHVILLE? THE SEDUCTION OF JOE TYNAN with young Meryl and Alan Alda. Movie holds up well, and nail the pollitical sacrifices. Harris is moving and real.

Updated On: 6/16/04 at 08:39 PM

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#19re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 8:54pm

I always get THE APPLE TREE confused with THE GOLDEN APPLE.

And sometimes I even get those confused with THE GRASS HARP.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Dollypop
#20re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/16/04 at 10:38pm

Remember the bizarre acceptance speech Harris gave ehen she won the Tony for THE APPLE TREE? Good Lord, the woman was strung out on something.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#21re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/17/04 at 9:10am

Speaking of acceptance speeches - remember when Kirstie Allie won an Emmy for Cheers? She was obviously drunk off her ass (I have to admit that I just LOVE her!)...but she mumbled a few thank-yous and then said she wanted to thank her husband for "giving me the big one for the past 7 years!"...I nearly fell out of my chair...

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#22re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/17/04 at 11:35am

question: am i the only one to notice that nearly ALL of Harnick/Bock shows have been forgotten treasures? I mean yeah there's FIDDLER, but they wrote scores that were just as good as FIDDLER, some of them are better. Why is it we rarely talk about SHE LOVES ME? FIORELLO? TENDERLOIN? and now we start discussing THE APPLE TREE. It's a little sad because when these shows came out, they weren't up to par with the broadway audience of then, but now they are just SO good.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#23re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/17/04 at 12:13pm

Dolly: Wasn't Harris having a brief, tumultuous affair with Warren Beatty? I remember reading of her flying in at curtain time for APPLE TREE, etc. Rumor had it, she was dumped by the caddish Mr. B near the Tonys.

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#24re: The Apple Tree?
Posted: 6/17/04 at 12:45pm

I'm actually doing this musical in the fall, I dont know what part yet but nevertheless Im excited. The OBC of it is terrific. Barbara is so talented.

You've gotta have heart AND music

Videos