Billy Crudup back on Broadway!

secondactor Profile Photo
secondactor
#0Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/26/04 at 10:03am

I just heard that Billy Crudup is coming to Broadway to do a new play by that Irish writer wot wrote "Beauty Queen of Lanane".

Fantastic!

To the naysayers; I know about all his bad points, and
I don't care that "Elephant Man" was a big flop that closed early,
I don't care that he was fired from "Henry IV",
I don't even care that he left dear pregnant Mary Louise Parker for her younger best friend, I love this man's cheekbones and I will come to town to see it!

Does anyone know who else is in the cast?

Dollypop
#1re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/26/04 at 10:08am

Loretta Swit

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

secondactor
#2re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/27/04 at 10:36am

Loretta Swit? Are you serious?!?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#3re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/27/04 at 2:04pm

Yeh, and Bonnie Franklin!

Seriously, if it's the new McDonagh piece, there are two: "The Pillowman", which I heard will be on Broadway with Jim Broadbent co-starring (I believe it's a two-hander). Off-Broadway we have "The Lieutenant of Inishmore" which is a bloody satire of IRA terrorism and Irish hicks. Both won the Olivier awards for best comedy in their respective years.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Dollypop
#4re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/27/04 at 5:35pm

I knew about Loretta Swit, but the news about Bonnie Franklin is great. I'm sure they'll both be amazing.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#5re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/27/04 at 11:33pm

Honestly, Crudup was such a weak link in 'Big Fish' that he damn near ruined the movie (and he had all the right material to make that part work.) I hope he's better onstage.

secondactor
#6re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/29/04 at 9:19am

I didn't mind hiim in Big Fish. I've never really thought of him as a terrific ACTOR, just a great man to LOOK AT!

I still regret not seeing Elephant Man. I think I thought it would run and run just because he was in the movies. Just goes to show you.

That play closed so fast that I couldn't even get his autograph at the stage door, much to my disappointment.

MargoChanning
#7re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/29/04 at 12:31pm

He was pretty good in "Arcadia," OK in "Bus Stop," awful in "Elephant Man" and totally lost and clueless as Angelo in "Measure For Measure." He may be the only actor I've ever seen who seems to get worse with each successive performance. I was really looking forward to "Pillowman," but now I'm not so sure -- I'll still see it though.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

thebigkrakowski Profile Photo
thebigkrakowski
#8re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/29/04 at 5:54pm

I'm with you, Margo.

I thought I understood his appeal, but now I'm not so sure.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#9re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/30/04 at 7:28am

What was the story re his exit from Henry IV?

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

MargoChanning
#10re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/30/04 at 1:12pm

He just couldn't handle the part, so he was replaced by Michael Hayden in the last week or two of rehearsals. Hayden was wonderful, by the way.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#11re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/30/04 at 1:26pm

Yay. I love that almost famous big fish.

#12re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/30/04 at 1:29pm

Yay again.

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#13re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 6/30/04 at 6:39pm

I saw him in The Elephant Man and he was fine but the one thing I came away with from that show was a deeper appreciation for Kate Burton. I had already adored her from Hedda Gabler..someone put that woman in another show already.
As for Billy Crudup, I usually never try to pay attention to an actor's personal actions but I just lost respect for him after what he did to MLP, and I'm not a personal fan of hers either.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#14re: Billy Crudup back on Broadway!
Posted: 7/4/04 at 1:44am

I wasn't impressed at him in Big Fish either. Then I watched it again and realized it's not written very well.

Anyhoo, Almost Famous rules.

Videos