pixeltracker

Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR

Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#0Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 1:11am

Which Les Miserable cast recording do you think is better? Please explain your reasoning. I have been disecting both OCR and i can't decide...yes i fully relize that i have no life.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
Updated On: 8/16/04 at 01:11 AM

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#1re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 2:52am

It doesn't matter. They both have Frances Ruffelle.

musicaltheatreman
#2re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 2:57am

i like the concert cd of the show!!! but i also love the london recording because patti lupone is on it!!!!

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#3re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 3:09am

My favorite Les Mis recording is actually the London 10th Anniversary Concert but, I'll stick to the ones that you want us to discuss.

Broadway OBC- I enjoy the Broadway cast because I actually like Terrence Mann's Javert. I also like it because it is closer to the actual production I saw then the London one is because of the cut songs etc... I also think however, that somehow Frances Ruffelle's voice managed to get more whiny on this cast recording and that for me is a major downfall.

London OCR- I don't like Ruffelle on here either, but I like her better here than I do on the OBC. Her voice isn't quite as annoying. I like this recording because I enjoy the version of One Day More. For some reason every time I listen to it, I feel it is raw and I like that. I'm not a big fan of "I Saw Him Once" so to me that isn't a big draw to this recording.

As I said, I listen to the TAC before I listen to any of the other ones. I don't like the CSR at all, I just can't get myself to like it. I think when it comes to Broadway v London you have to weigh the positives and the negatives. I usually listen to the Broadway version for Terrence and Colm, since Terrence isn't on the London version. I do however, still like "One Day More" better on the London version.

But really, its the TAC all the way for my choice.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Fair 2 Middlin Profile Photo
Fair 2 Middlin
#4re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 9:31am

Wasn't the girl who played Eponine on the CSR Japanese? I remember she had this accent I couldn't get past.

Thank you so much Fair. You are such a "Bewitching" HUSSY! -(DAME 12/2)
Updated On: 8/16/04 at 09:31 AM

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#5re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 9:44am

Yes, the actress playing Eponine in the CSR was a Japanese. As for London OCR vs. Broadway OCR... Overall, I prefer the Broadway version, but I listen to the London recording for 'One Day More' and for Michael Ball's performance :). '

The 10th Anniversary Concert is also my favorite, although it would have been better if they had gotten Anthony Warlow to sing Enjolras' part. Then again, I'm very biased when it comes to Anthony Warlow =). But that really would have been the perfect cast, I think.. Colm Wilkinson, Philip Quast, Judy Kuhn, Lea Salonga, Michael Ball, and Anthony Warlow. Sigh.

Fair 2 Middlin Profile Photo
Fair 2 Middlin
#6re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 9:48am

Speaking of Enjolras, what is Michael Maguire (OBC) up to?

Thank you so much Fair. You are such a "Bewitching" HUSSY! -(DAME 12/2)

ForTheLoveOfLea Profile Photo
ForTheLoveOfLea
#7re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:02am

I can't choose either of the two because I am not fond of Frances Ruffelle at all. The Tenth Anniversary Concert is my favorite too. I love Lea Salonga (clearly) and Ruthie Henshall and they do a fabulous job on this recording.

Thou giveth fever.

bythesword84
#8re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:09am

Yes, the performances on the TAC are fantastic. It has the single best Gavroche that I've ever heard: Adam Searles. It is what made me become a Ruthie Henshall fan. Philip Quast is just outstanding. Judy Kuhn, while not my favorite Cosette, gives a solid performance. Hannah Chick's young Cosette is a lot different from the mousy nothings that popped up on Broadway but she'd fantastic as well. I'm not a big Michael Ball fan but aside from that his performance was just fine for me. Lea Salonga was dead on as Eponine and is my favorite recorded Eponine (although when it comes to Eponine's I've actually seen that's a different story.) I really loved Michael McGuire's Enjolras and thought he was fantastic on this. Alun Armstrong and Jenny Galloway have tremendous chemistry as M and Mme Thenardier. Of course, Colm Wilkinson is the ultimate Jean Valjean no matter where he's put.

You can't compare anything to the TAC, its just too good.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:29am

London

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#10re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:31am

Definitely London. The cast is so much stronger, and all the actors seems to work together. Besides, Michael MaGuire (*gag*) isn't on it.

broadwayguy2
#11re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:35am

I have London, broadway, complete symphonic, and 10th aniv....

I love tehs ymphonic because it is the full score, 10th anniv has an unbeatable cast.. bway and london each have great points..

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#12re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:40am

If I was only allowed to have one LM recording (which would break my little heart), I would have to say the CSR. It's complete and fulfills all my LM desires. The cast has it's weak points (the Fantine and Cosette in particular), but a lot of the performances are really enjoyable. My personal favorite part of the entire recording is Anthony Warlow's,"Let others RIIIIIIIIIIISE..." It can't be beat. Updated On: 8/18/04 at 11:40 AM

bythesword84
#13re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:27am

...I don't like Anthony Warlow as Enjolras.

rockfenris2005
#14re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:36am

Well, I though the OLC was a waste of money. I thought it was the worst cast recording of all time... and you're speaking to the man who has literally hundreds of 'em! Vinyl, cassette, CD, you name it... The best version is the French. It truly captured the feel of the original novel. The English show, I always thought to be 'too story'

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#15re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:42am

The sound on the broadway one was way off. So I would say london.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#16re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:53am

"...I don't like Anthony Warlow as Enjolras."

Ohh... that broke my heart re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR. Then again, I have never not liked Anthony Warlow in a role. I thought he really had the presence, and the vocal power, to portray Enjolras. Updated On: 8/17/04 at 03:53 AM

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#17re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:55am

I recommend neither the Broadway or London cast recordings.

Here, read this...
Les Miz forum @ FrenchBoys.net

rockfenris2005
#18re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:59am

The French is the best. I agree

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

bythesword84
#19re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:00am

Aww I'm sorry Amasis, don't worry I'm sure the time will come when you don't like someone I love. re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR

I like the French one too but I thought we were limiting it to English. Over all, again, I love the TAC.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#20re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:31am

Of the 23 official cast recordings I have, the Original London Cast is easily my least favorite. The cast is fine overall with some great performances. I love Colm in the role. I like Rebecca Caine's Cosette quite a bit, though it's hard to beat Judy Kuhn. And Michael Ball is worlds better than David Bryant. But the orchestrations are harsh and unpleasant and the overall show sounds unpolished. I really dislike Roger Allam's Javert, and the OLC early version of "Stars" shows how a few slight adjustments can turn an awful song to a wonderful one.

My advice: get the Tenth Anniversary cast CD or the Complete Symphonic. You get a Michael Ball and a Philip Quast either way.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

bythesword84
#21re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:34am

I wish I had 23...I have:
OBC
OLC
OFC
TAC
CSR
Antwerp Cast
Netherlands Cast

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#22re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:38am

"Of the 23 official cast recordings I have, the Original London Cast is easily my least favorite"

Mine as well. The Copenhagen cast recording is pretty lame, too. I don't really enjoy the fact that -- if they didn't look it -- Marius, Cosette, and Eponine seem to have a median age of 35.

And it's nice to hear from someone else who didn't care for Roger Allam! Give me Michael McCarthy or Kunio Murai any day...

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#23re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 5:01am

Kunio Murai is one of my favorite Javerts! I love the Japanese Recording, except for Takeshi Kaga (host of Iron Chef) as Valjean. He might be the biggest musical star in Japan but Valjean is just out of his range.

My favorite non-English recording would have to be the 1991 Paris cast. Some of the people on that recording would eventually play their roles in America- Robert Marien, Stephanie Lawrence. And Marius is performed by a young Jerome Pradon, who plays Judas in the new JCS DVD.

Favorite Valjean- Dudu Fisher from the Israeli recording. This is a great overall cast, unfortunately it was only released on vinyl and cassette.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Belter
#24re: Broadway Les Miz or London Les Mis OCR
Posted: 8/17/04 at 7:30am

I love the OLC version. Patti, Colm, Michael, Frances ... spectacular! And it doesn't feel that it's coming at me like knives, as I feel the OBC does. Nice and legato!

I've purchased it on vinyl, tape, and CD. I do not own the OBC. Hearing it once was enough to convince me to save my money.

But having 23 versions? Come on! There are many shows out there -- spread it around!!

Videos