Steel Pier

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#0Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 4:33pm

sorry...dont yell at me for making a semi-pointless thread. but ive been looking all over for a plot summary of Steel Pier. can someone tell me what its about? :)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#1re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 4:36pm

Girl comes to Atlantic City, becomes a marathon dancer, meets guy that she doesn't know is dead, they become dance partners, there's something about an abusive boyfriend, then Kristin Chenoweth shows up and blows us all away.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

LadyGuenevere
#2re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 4:37pm

I don't like the part where Kristin comes in. My CD player turns off every time it comes to her song.

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#3re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 4:38pm

haha THANKS. im doing that book thing going around and one of the sub-topics was steel pier so i wanted to see if my topic would fit in it....which...it doesnt. oh well

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 4:38pm

That's because you know who the real star is - or was supposed to be...

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#5re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:14pm

but there's a plot twist to the girl meets boy scenario

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:16pm

Yeah. He's dead. We covered that.

kissmycookie
#7re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:17pm

mea culpa. low on calories

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:19pm

No problem. This show makes me cranky.

kissmycookie
#9re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:22pm

Who could blame you? With the creative team, the cast, and the composer/lyricists, you would have thought it would have been better...

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#10re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:25pm

Some of the music is amazing though. I love "Second Chance". What role did Kristen play and what song did she sing?

Akiva

afa_composerboy
#11re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:36pm

I love this score!!! It's one of my favorite Kander and Ebb scores..and it's fun to watch..the book just needs some work and I think with a little help it could be GREAT!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#12re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:49pm

I remember seeing Steel Pier when I was a little lad. Daniel McDonald who's gonna be Sam in Mamma Mia! was in it.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:50pm

That's correct. He was dead. Arrggh this show makes me cranky.

kissmycookie
#14re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:51pm

hell hath no fury like a cranky Rathnait?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:53pm

Damn right. Anyone with a true appreciation for Karen Ziemba's talent will feel the same.

afa_composerboy
#16re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:43am

I loved Karen in it...Running in Place is an amazing song..and yes the "dead" thing doesn't work..but it could be fixed..I believe in it :))))

Emutional Profile Photo
Emutional
#17re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:45am

"Girl comes to Atlantic City, becomes a marathon dancer, meets guy that she doesn't know is dead, they become dance partners, there's something about an abusive boyfriend, then Kristin Chenoweth shows up and blows us all away."

that was great, hahahahahaha <3

What was cheno's song called?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#18re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:59am

"How To Steal A Show"

VIETgrlTerifa
#19re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:26pm

Hee hee Rathnait. I actually love Kristin's song for Steel Pier, all those high notes. It's called "Two Little Words" and she plays Precious Maguire...yeah, I know.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#20re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:27pm

She was amazing. She really was.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#21re: Steel Pier
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:39pm

joeyjoe and I re-listened to this recently and I fell in love with a lot of aspects of the score. I think it was bad direction that killed this show - the basic plot is not a bad one and the cast was pretty fine (except for Gregory Harrison - the man just can't be menacing, which the part called for)..Karen was tremendous and, yes, Kristen stole the show - but all in all, I believe it has a lot going for it.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Videos