News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Michael McKean gets political!

thebigkrakowski Profile Photo
thebigkrakowski
#0Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/8/04 at 6:25pm

I love him even more now.
Michael McKean First Person on Broadway.com

broadwayguy2
#1re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/8/04 at 6:31pm

I LOVEthe entire hairspray comapny.

BwayTheatre11
#2re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/8/04 at 6:34pm

They are very great people!

CCM '10!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#3re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/8/04 at 6:59pm

Way to go Michael and cast of Hairspray!!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

shesings
#4re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/8/04 at 7:30pm

very classy guy. Way to handle a situation in a mature, yet discreet manner.

LouW95
#5re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/8/04 at 7:45pm

Harvey probably would have made a strong statement at the curtain calls. He would not find a "polite way" to deal with people who support a constitutional amendment against basic human rights. I would not want to be in the company of the Bush family or their homophobic Republican friends. What I cannot understand is how this party of family values asks a two time adulterer (Rudy) and a multi-woman groper (Arnold) to be main speakers at their convention. Not exactly a clear message of Bush style-Christian morality and family values. At what point does one take a stand??? Updated On: 9/8/04 at 07:45 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#6re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/8/04 at 8:21pm

Good for Michael and company and good for Harvey, too!

broadwayguy2
#7re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 11:42am

Can I just say.. **HUGZ to the traumatized Hollie Howard and the castrated Jon Dokuchitz.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#8re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 11:56am

I'm with LouW95. And thanks for reminding us about Rudy/Arnie's less than Mormon experiences with the "sanctity of marriage." Values! These people are beyond hypocrisy! I would not want to be in Mr McKean's position -- well, any day but that one, yes -- and I think he was a class act. But -- sigh -- Harvey's handling of the situation would've landed them on page one.

Remember the Macy's parade last year? When Harvey was not allowed to call himself Mrs.Claus? But he showed up anyway and got his puss on TV, scoring big points for drag queens, gay rights, and men who look good in red velvet.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

broadwayguy2
#9re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 12:12pm

yeah, that whole "We don't want the kids to think Santa is gay" nonesense was ridiculous. Hell, I would hear people AT HAIRSPRAY arguing up and down that Edna was played by a woman!

Jamie
#10re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 1:30pm

I don't think it is right to be disrespectful to any former president. The rest of the cast were very nice and did take photos with the bushes. Michael refused.

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#11re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 1:46pm

Well... I find it much classier to refuse a picture, than to refuse an audience. But, to each his/her own. Theatre is for everyone people! Remember that.

Hamlet's father.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#12re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 1:56pm

LouW95...you may not want to be in the company of them (and who does really?) but they are patrons. Its a gesture. Every night people go see Broadway shows. And everynight there is bound to be a couple of Republicans in the theatre, who are culturally aware, and repect the arts. And maybe, there are even Republicans waiting around the stagedoor to take a photo or two and get an autograph from a favorite broadway celeb. Now, should that performer refuse to acknowledge them, or take a pic with them b/c of their political beliefs? Absolutley not!!! (unless they're Idina Menzel, thats a completely different topic). You need to respect the people who are paying your salary no matter how you disagree. You cant blame everyone who is a Republican for being a homophobic, women groping animal...ok that's all I have to say! Updated On: 9/9/04 at 01:56 PM

broadwayguy2
#13re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:23pm

a standard patron and a former president are two former things. I would also refuse any photo-op with either of the Bushes.

LittleFish8386
#14re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:26pm

Yeah I know, I understand that---I was just trying to put it into perspective. I understand not wanting to take a pic for the party, but its a gesture.

No one understands me.... re: Michael McKean gets political!

broadwayguy2
#15re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:32pm

i understand.

But if they don't approve of certain people, then they shouldn't be made to be herded into a photo like cattle to be put on display with something or someon they don't approve.

Some of teh WICKED cast refused to be photogrpahed with Stepford Wife Bush...

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#16re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:48pm

Folks, exclusivity and elitism cuts both ways.

If W can say "...you're either with us, or against us ..." then so can anyone else. Including out n'proud gay men, actors who support their cause, and everyone else who finds this regime three steps backward in many departments.

Welcome to American in 2004, when life itself is by nature "political."

Updated On: 9/9/04 at 02:48 PM

broadwayguy2
#17re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:53pm

amen.

#18re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 2:57pm

I'm not expressing an opinion here, I'm curious about a factual situation. Does anyone know if there's possibly clauses in their contracts concerning publicity photos?

broadwayguy2
#19re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:02pm

I doubt they have a clause about posing with VIPs.......

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#20re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:03pm

a cast member told me they paid for their tickets they weren't comped house seats.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

LittleFish8386
#21re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:38pm

Exactly...they were paying patrons!

touchmeinthemorning
#22re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 3:55pm

I think Michael is right. Be kind...because the "you're either with us or against us" nonsense is for Republicans, not for inclusive human beings. I just think that allowing for social interaction with people of differing views is probably good for the Bush's...let alone seeing a man in a dress!

But, having your picture taken can easily be conceived of by those who see the pic as agreeing with a politician. I would not want that option to even be conceived from any audience.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#23re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 7:14pm

I agree about kindness and professionalism. And showing class. I felt strongly that actors doing a no-show during the convention only hurt the image of the profession, and diminished the high-standards profile of Broadway itself. But as has been discussed here very sensitively by many, posing with pictures invites a connotation of support. And a picture lives forever, and can be used--exploited--in many contexts. We live in an era when the photo op is used to sell just about everything -- the "end" of an "accomplished mission" is just one infamous example.

I say, bring 'em on, put them in the seats. Let all intolerant people see a big-hearted, truly big-tent show like HAIRSPRAY and learn many lessons. HAIRSPRAY, as entertaining as it is, is also a slyly subversive piece. But then, I believe Art has always changed hearts and minds more than war.

LouW95
#24re: Michael McKean gets political!
Posted: 9/9/04 at 7:37pm

I still ask where do we draw the line? I have seen this kind of fence sitting lead to serious damage. Read about the 1950s in Hollywood. Performing for people who wont grant others their BASIC human rights (by backing a constitutional amendment) is not the same as playing for people who simply disagree on an issue. If you dont recognize a man as an equal, why be his court jester? Where do we draw the line? Should the Germans have entertained Hitler (or any dictator)???? I would not be an entertainer for anyone who actively worked to destroy my BASIC human rights. Read the Republican platform- it is a vicious anti-Gay document. People cant sit on a fence under the guise of being a "professional". They could not pay me enough to entertain these kinds of narrow minded people. Updated On: 9/10/04 at 07:37 PM

Videos