pixeltracker

The Grammar Thread (updated)- Page 5

The Grammar Thread (updated)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#100once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:01pm

Dottie - Yes. It was intentional.

Jane2 - I entitled a link to this thread for that very reason in the party's thread. It wasn't to be mean, but I was sort of in shock.

lovelyspotlight - I thought about doing affect and effect, but there are simply too many definitions that are too closely related to make it worthwhile. It would need its own thread.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#101once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:07pm

There are errors in spelling and mistakes in grammar everywhere you look-on tv, on posters, billboards, signs, everywhere!

I think it's a losing battle or should I say its a loosing batal?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 5/9/07 at 05:07 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#102once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:08pm

True, Janey...but it's fun to complain about them!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#103once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:11pm

Seriously, it gets annoying when so many people start spelling things wrong that it becomes accepted.

When I was in grade school I don't recall tonITE being correct.
It was always toniGHt.

....but the world goes 'round

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#104once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:13pm

Yes, doodles, I agree. I'm glad there's a place to vent about this.

My dictionary wasn't published recently. I bet if we saw a brand new one, we'd all be shocked at what's now included.

erikaamato
#105once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:14pm

tazber - I am so with you on that! The whole "everyone spells it wrong, so let's just make it 'right'" thing drives me up a wall. I think I'm the only person in the world who still uses the spelling "doughnut." :-P

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#106once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:20pm

oy-I'm a victim of it! It's been so long since I've seen it spelled doughnut, that I also spell it donut. See what's happening?

Mister Matt
#107once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:20pm

...UNLESS you are the fabulous Natasha on Top Model. Then, if the word is in a title of something you create (e.g. "Aphrodity's Box"), you can spell it the way you want.

erikaamato
#108once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 5:27pm

MM: LOL!

Jane2: Oh, I'm so sorry! once again... It's insidious, though, isn't it??

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#109once again...
Posted: 5/9/07 at 6:04pm

Erika-lol-it's happening to all of us! It's taking over! It's the invasion of the grammar snatchers!

But you can hold out-just don't fall asleep!

Mister Matt
#110once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 1:58pm

Good grief, I see we need this again...

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#111once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:28pm

I think that it is ridiculouse that people pick apart people's grammer on a message board. You must really have some time on your hands Mister Matt. You and Lizzy need to start your own "perfect grammer" meessage board!!

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#112once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:36pm

"I think that it is ridiculouse that people pick apart people's grammer on a message board."

How do you feel about picking apart spelling? Is that off limits too? If not...try spellcheck on "ridiculouse" I'm pretty sure the spelling might be just a tad off, oh and you might want to check "grammer" too.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 7/13/07 at 02:36 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#113once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:36pm

But where would we make fun of people's spelling?

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#114once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:38pm

I miss when Liam couldn't spell once again...

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#115once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:40pm

F*ck off Justaguy

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#116once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:43pm

"F*ck off Justaguy"

A little touchy today? I didn't even mention "meessage".

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Updated On: 7/13/07 at 02:43 PM

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#117once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:52pm

ya..... a little! It gets a little frustrating when you post something and then the only thing someone can do to reply is pick apart thier grammer. It seems like some people get a little OCD with spelling. Does it really bother you that bad????

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#118once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:58pm

Actually, most of the time, it doesn't bother me at all. We've all made spelling errors and typos. But, it does say something about the person if they continue to misspell the same words over and over. In your case, you just misspelled "grammar" again. Which is just setting yourself up for more ridicule, because you're posting on a thread about grammar.

Kringas
#119once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 3:11pm

I don't understand people have to turn their not spell checking into a political act. If you're going to post messages somewhere that the written word is your only means of communication, why wouldn't you take the ten seconds it takes to spell check?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#120once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 3:15pm

"In your case, you just misspelled "grammar" again. Which is just setting yourself up for more ridicule, because you're posting on a thread about grammar."

You're KILLING me!!!! Alright ... I guesse I better get out of this thread cause I obviously suck at spelling=-) ( I probably spelled something wrong in this post too)!!!!

#121once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 3:19pm

At work, my boss writes "thru" instead of "through." It drives me mad! It's not correct as far as I know, is it?

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#122once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 3:50pm

"You're KILLING me!!!! Alright ... I guesse I better get out of this thread cause I obviously suck at spelling=-) ( I probably spelled something wrong in this post too)!!!! "

Actually you did... "guesse". Seriously, Google has a spellcheck in their tool bar. You should download it if you don't already have it and use it.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#123once again...
Posted: 7/13/07 at 5:41pm

For those to whom this sort of thing matters...
The Random House Guide to Good Writing

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#124once again...
Posted: 11/9/07 at 12:03pm

Time to brush up on the difference between effect and affect.

Love, Phyl