pixeltracker

Another Rent Movie Casting thread

Another Rent Movie Casting thread

timote316
#0Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 2:11pm

Sorry for another of these threads, but this one is a little different.

What qualities do you think all the actors need? I mean, besides the obvious singing quality, what do the actors need, like those intangible traits?

For example, Mark needs to be a guy who is easily liked as a friend. The actor must be the loveable type, but not really the dating type. Any thoughts on the other characters?

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#1re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 2:18pm

oh boy...if this was another one of numerous wicked threads, i would've ripped you out a new one, but since we're talking about my favorite musical, i'll join in. re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread

mark needs to do geeky well and be likeable in a dorky kind of way. mimi needs to be smoking hot with an edge. roger needs to actually look like a junkie (unlike the buffness of Mr. Pascal)...ummm...this is harder than i thought. i mean, the actors ideally would be like their characters, i guess.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#2re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 2:54pm

thats a given....I always pictured Maureen as not very pretty....Idina is too gorgeous....

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#3re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 5:31pm

Strict logic has never been the hallmark of the theater - the Mimi in La Boheme could never sing that way if she REALLY had tuberculosis. Movies tend to be more realistic in some ways, but have their own form of illogical logic too, like that the leading man and woman in a romantic relationship should be equally hot no matter how sick or addicted they are.

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#4re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 5:39pm

i dont think that is necessarily true about maureen.. the girl playing her right now is very attractive, i think.

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#5re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 6:02pm

Mark- Geeky and shy, yet somewhat cute and lovable
Roger- To me it would be a plus if the actor is or once was a struggling artist. There are some aspects of Roger that are really hard to convey onstage unless you've 'been there, done that'
Mimi- is overall a better character if sexy/young, and totally comfortable with her body.
Maureen- Major diva. Just totally out there with a huge stage presence.
Angel- Every aspect of the way Angel talks and moves around needs to just scream the fact that he isn't straight. for a good 'Contact' scene... the whole 'take me...' section needs to come from the actors heart and soul, not attempting to copy other people's interpretations.
Collins- Laid back, smart but not cocky.

Not really sure what to say about everyone else...
Anyways, I guess what I'm getting at is nothing bothers me more than fidged emotions on the powerful songs. If the people playing Mimi and Collins don't feel like crying in 'Goodbye Love' and 'I'll Cover You Reprise', then they shouldn't fake it. Nothing out of the entire show bothers me more than the actors knowing what people EXPECT them to be feeling at the moment, and then acting like thats how they feel. I think that is the hardest and most complicated aspect of Rent to grasp. The actors can't be the actors, they have to be the characters... (if that made any sense whatsoever)

Songsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
#6re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 6:37pm

Maureen, based on Boheme's Musetta, is suppossed to be beautiful. Well, actually, she doesn't have to be "beautiful" but she definitly has to be sexy, attractive, and alluring. That's the whole point of "Take Me or Leave Me" and "Musetta's Waltz." She can't help all the attention she gets. She just gives off this vibe; she "oozes sex," if you will.
Which leads us to Britney Murphy. When Spike Lee was doing the Rent film, she was cast as Maureen and she's now auditioning for Chris Columbus. Does she fit the criteria? I think she could.
As for Mimi and Roger... Yes, they are both junkies (even though Roger is a recovered one) and in a real world they would both look kinda strung out, but hey, this is Hollywood! They both just need to be sexy and edgy, I think. Adam could still pull it off, I believe. Unfortunatley, Daphne didn't look 19 then and she certainly doesn't now.

Type_A_Tiff
#7re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 10:39pm

i wasn't crazy for brittany murphy but it's starting to grow on me.

sh1t, this is going to turn into another "who would you cast" thread because of me, and I'm sorry, but here's a thought - James Marsters (Spike, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as Roger. ::pregnant pause:: You know that light just went on.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#8re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/21/04 at 10:52pm

Tiff- Oh. My. God.

Type_A_Tiff
#9re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/22/04 at 12:23am

You so know I'm right, right? He's the only Roger casting idea I've been happy with. Briiiiiiinnnng! (that's my onomatopoeia of a light going on)

timote316
#10re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/22/04 at 12:31pm

I was thinking of Britney Murphy last night. Everytime I think of her as Maureen, I like the idea more.

Not too familiar with James Marsters, tho...

starlight2
#11re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/22/04 at 1:01pm

It is James Marsden, and YES! He can sing and he is so hot! He could play the role! but,NO! to Brit Murphy, if they do that, than it might as well be Brit Spears##$%%^&&^#@**^%## gag.

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#12re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/22/04 at 1:08pm

James Marsters and James Marsden are two different people - the first is the one who plays Spike, and while I can see how the spiky dyed blond hair might make you think of Roger, he IS forty-two years old.

Type_A_Tiff
#13re: Another Rent Movie Casting thread
Posted: 10/22/04 at 2:44pm

I know, which totally made my jaw drop when I found out. But he literally doesn't look older than 30, eh?? I think he looks younger than Adam does now!