pixeltracker

Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?- Page 2

Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?

etoile
#25re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 12:46pm

Sketchy? Oh, Al Dente, you are the master of understatement. The thread screams delusion. Makes me wonder how people define friendships. And makes me realize how tenuous some's grasp on reality can be.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
Updated On: 11/15/04 at 12:46 PM

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#26re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 12:49pm

Is it any wonder why I love you as much as I do Etoile?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#27re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 12:49pm

Some of them are a bit odd - "surreal"? Hmmm...that doesn't sound like a balanced, normal friendship to me if you find being with that person "surreal."

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Mimi Imfurst
#28re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:19pm

its not the being friends thing that is surreal... its the stepping back and thinking about it moments that make it seem surreal? Now, I'm talking that I was a fan of someone for like 7 years before we ever even met. So of course it was surreal.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#29re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:22pm

Mimi--if you're friends with Hedwig, please note--He's NOT real. He's just an amalgam of many personalities JCM & Stephen Trask have met over the years.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

Mimi Imfurst
#30re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:26pm

Ha! I know that. I know I'm not referring to Hedwig. I was actually referring to John.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#31re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:28pm

I'm trying to make friends with Alan Ruck re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends? re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#32re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:33pm

Funny story - About 5 years ago I was working with Mary Tyler Moore at a soup kitchen in Austin, TX when she got these bad burns on her hands because she forgot to use a ladel when scooping the soup out of the pot. Nobody else really seemed to care, but I was a fan of hers so I drove her to the hospital. It was getting late and I was hungry, so I let her out in the parking lot near the emergency room and went to get some lunch but when I came back later to see if she was okay, she thanked me for being so nice and declared we were now "Best Friends". Her & I are thick as thieves, now. We toilet papered Morgan Fairchild's house the other night and ran away laughing and laughing. I love that woman.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#33re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:35pm

But Morgan Fairchild would never need toilet paper. She's too beautiful & elegant to make poopies.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#34re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:37pm

Hence the irony! Mary is a genius when it comes to things like that.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#35re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:39pm

I helped Bea Arthur tp Betty White's house a few times - she only used "pre-owned" toilet paper though. She's a professional.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#36re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:39pm

I just love getting those personally signed notes from celebs that inform me of a court order to remain at least 300 yards from them. Makes feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy.

What constitutes friendship in these cases? Is it just the restraining order? Do these people actually come over to your house, invite you to theirs, initiate phones calls with you? That's what friends usually do.

http://www.danperezgallery.com

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#37re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:42pm

Mary told me we couldn't TP Betty White's house anymore ever since she bought that gun and those dogs.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#38re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:44pm

"This is the way we get rid of these TP'ing bastards back in St. Olaf, boys and girls..."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#39re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:44pm

Yeah - that was kinda our fault. Sorry.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#40re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:45pm

Mary was FURIOUS because she loves getting a few roles of Charmin and really fu*king up Betty's lawn.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#41re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:47pm

Well Betty so deserves it. And her reactions are just so priceless. It's sad because Bea really gets so few guffaws these days.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#42re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:49pm

Don't let her fool you. Bea Arthur took a dump in Melissa Gilbert's rose bushes last week. She's no angel, either.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#43re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 1:51pm

Honey, if she was any kind of angel, she wouldn't be my vandalism buddy. And Melissa was asking for it, that cow.

Updated On: 11/15/04 at 01:51 PM

KarenNYC Profile Photo
KarenNYC
#44re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 2:08pm

Mary was FURIOUS because she loves getting a few roles of Charmin and really fu*king up Betty's lawn.

Matt, did you and Mary ever talk about the challenges of playing Charmin roles? I'd love to hear about it. Must be right up there with Shakespeare.

"The applause of all but very good men is no more than the precise measure of their possible hostility."

HeartinNYC Profile Photo
HeartinNYC
#45re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/15/04 at 2:16pm

Yes, "surreal", I stand by my description...at least it seems that way to me. I have met actors (and politicians and other people in the public eye) that I've admired, and then became friendly with, either as an acquaintance or very occasionally as a good friend.

It always DOES seem surreal to me, to go from "fan" to "friend". That's just me. This doesn't mean I'm star struck or imagining I'm "closerthanthis" with the Brad Pitts of the world...nor do I want to be. It simply means that, coming from a completely non-showbiz background, it's just a unique and very interesting experience to me.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be...unless that's mine in the first place.

NativeNewYorker
#46re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 12:31pm

I get confused sometimes when I hear people referring to some performers as "friends"...if you really were friends, you wouldn't be waiting outside in the cold with the dozens of other fans so you could talk to your friend. "Friendy" is one thing, "friend" is another. I'm not saying that's the case with people here, but I've seen it in person a lot and I think it's kinda funny.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#47re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 12:53pm

Yes - some people's perspective is a bit off.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#48re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 1:04pm

I had the opposite happen. When I first moved to NYC I became friends with one of the bartenders at a theatre I was working at. Over time we became very good friends (he even helped me move one time; which in my book constitutes a good friend!!). As time progressed and he got more and more acting jobs and as a result more well known, our friendship kind of drifted. What's odd now is that when I run into him when I'm visiting NYC we acknowledge each other, but it's like we were never friends.

On the flip side, I supervised a WP department in NYC and we employed a lot of temps/actors. Some of them have gone on to bigger and better things and to this day, I hear from them quite frequently.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 11/19/04 at 01:04 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#49re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 1:05pm

That's sad, Dottie. And yes, helping you move is the sign of a true friend!