pixeltracker

Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?- Page 4

Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#75re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 3:27pm

Stop stuttering, middy, for heaven's sake.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#76re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 3:33pm

what i had to say was so important and clever, it needed to be said four times!

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

ShineOn
#77re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 3:34pm

Yeah, I'd get that checked out if I were you, Mid.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#78re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 4:03pm

"I think "friend" is a term used SO loosely these days that it's hard to distinguish true friendships from acquaintances. The lines get blurred. It's easy to get confused...

For instance, Alice once introduced me as her "friend" to a friend of hers. Yes, I *know* her and am a fan, but we don't hang out and she doesn't call me when she's down, etc. I certainly wouldn't consider her a "friend", but someone I know and admire. I mean, we all know what makes up a TRUE friend... but *everyone* throws that word around like it's going out of style for the mere reason that sometimes you just don't know HOW to refer to a person. You don't introduce people as acquaintances... I've never heard anyone say, "HEY, this is my acquaintance, !" It's just not done.

Soooo... I always take it with a grain of salt when someone refers to another person as their friend. In ANY situation, actor/fan relationships aside. God knows I've introduced people as my friends who I barely know and wouldn't call if I really needed something.

Also, there are all different levels of friendships. Different friendships consist of different things, so it's really just all relative."

Well said, Daisy. (Sorry, this is a useless post here, but I have experienced this too, and I totally agree with you.)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#79re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 4:14pm

Tiff, are we friends?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#80re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 4:21pm

i'm so excited this thread has lasted this long... =)

Plum
#81re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 4:22pm

I think we need to distinguigh between "friend" and "friendly." I'm friendly with a lot of people. I'm only friends with a few of them. There's a difference.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#82re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 4:26pm

Plum, are we friends? re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?

Type_A_Tiff
#83re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 4:42pm

Rath, of course we're friends sweetie! And once you get cast in a big Broadway production, we'll be BFF and we'll make friendship bracelets and braid each other's hair! And once I get cast in a big broadway production...we'll still be friends. I mean, I may stop returning your calls and send back those locks of hair you seem mailing me, but it's just because I'll be really busy.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#84re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 4:46pm

You still won't tell me your last name though...

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#85re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:03pm

I meet Eden at Mr. Tabby's Fresh Yogurt. We both got Peach-Lime. She said that was crazy. I laughed. She laughed.

Ever since we've been boosom buddies.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

Spooky
#86re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:04pm

Well I'll be friends with anyone who starts a fan club for me.

But seriously, I think you have to break down "fan"
Are you someone they bump into at parties, someone who obsessively waits at the stage door for them, someone that "happens" to bump into them on the street?
Or do you not need to see/talk to them on a daily basis and just view them as someone with a cool job?
Because I think there are a lot of crazies out there that think they're friends with some Broadway actors/actresses and it's just the performer being nice to them. Still acting....
And I think age plays a big part in the whole thing to. How old both parties are.

Chevstriss
#87re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:35pm

I think the downside of it is when they want to break off the "friendship" they don't do it themselves, they send a member of their entourage. always seemed cowardly to me.

and there you are stuck a thousand miles from home with no way back.

but hey, the 70s were different.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#88re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:41pm

Are we not aware of anti stalking laws?

I once made friends with Idina...but she didn't know we were friends.

Chevstriss
#89re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:49pm

1st anti-stalking law was CA in 1990.

no such term applied in the 70s.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

ShineOn
#90re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 12:06am

Spooky --

I have to agree with you regarding age. I think it's a key factor in actor/fan relationships. 'Younger' fans tend to lack the discernment when it comes to distinguishing lines in the "relationship". I've seen many circumstances where a kid really admires an older person and tends to cling and cross boundaries, regardless of the field they're in. I've been on BOTH ends of that.

Age can really play a big part in it all, I think.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."

Type_A_Tiff
#91re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 12:09am

Is that why Chita stopped returning my calls? re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?

ShineOn
#92re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 12:18am

Maybe she just lost your number. re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?

MissChanandlerBong
#93re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 10:36am

But seriously, I think you have to break down "fan"
Are you someone they bump into at parties, someone who obsessively waits at the stage door for them, someone that "happens" to bump into them on the street?
Or do you not need to see/talk to them on a daily basis and just view them as someone with a cool job?
Because I think there are a lot of crazies out there that think they're friends with some Broadway actors/actresses and it's just the performer being nice to them. Still acting....
And I think age plays a big part in the whole thing to. How old both parties are.

Also, do your moods hinge on whether or not you get to talk to your "friend" and whether you're happy with the encounter. I've heard stories of people whose "friend" didn't email them back right away or wasn't especially attentive at the stage door and ruined their whole weekend, and on and on.

I think older people are just as capable of blurring friendship lines as younger people. And in fact older fans can be more aggressive and have a tendency to think they're entitled to be treated better than younger fans simply because they're older and "aren't teenyboppers."

JadedBenevolence Profile Photo
JadedBenevolence
#94re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 1:03pm

Hi, I'm new to this whole thing so please don't pelt me with stones or anything if I sound like a dork. But how cool would that be to become friends with someone you're a big fan of? But then again, wouldn't it be really hard for the fan to be 'friends' with someone they admire due to the fact that most people tend to get really nervous when approaching or approached by someone famous in the first place?

I met someone I was a big fan of at where I used to work, and I couldn't even get the word 'hi' out without sounding like a complete idiot. And I had to take his clothes into the fitting room. My heart was racing and I wanted to scream like a silly fangirl. It was so difficult for me to even look the guy in the eyes. Needless to say, I stood there in a daze until the guy left.

But if I could become friends with someone I'm a big fan of without being a complete idiot, that would seriously be totally awesome.

~Chris(tie) Clemens

"He says... he wants to be obsessed with art, like me. He says... he wants to redevelop the creative side of his brain." - Mark NYTW RENT

Spooky
#95re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 3:01pm

"wasn't especially attentive at the stage door and ruined their whole weekend, and on and on"

well I hope they didn't go on a Tuesday!

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#96re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 3:24pm

I think balance is an essential part in the concept of friendship. If the relationship is far more important, or significant to one of the persons involved...then you probably aren't really friends, but rather, friendly acquaintances.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

pixitrek Profile Photo
pixitrek
#97re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 4:34pm

Definitely...

People (other fans, mostly) question the validity of said "friendship", but... he threw my last birthday party with another actor that he's close with, I was at his birthday, I stayed with him when he did a project out of town (and once when I was too drunk to go home; I plead the fifth on that one)

There is a lot of doubt involved in the beginning, as someone else mentioned... wondering if you're just being placated or if the friendship is really that, a friendship. Mainly because it's their job to act. Now when I look at pictures of this person with fans and in performances, THAT is the part which is surreal, because I know him more as my friend and not as an actor. Updated On: 11/20/04 at 04:34 PM

wicked4life51 Profile Photo
wicked4life51
#98re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 5:12pm

well i was a big fan of shoshana bean and then i ended up seeing her a lot cause we have the same voice teacher and well we keep in contact thrue email and see each other now and then

"what? what is it? do i have something in my teeth? ok lets get this over with : no im not seasick,yes ive always been green, and no i didnt chew grass as a child "

Dollypop
#99re: Has anyone been a big fan and met the person and became good friends?
Posted: 11/20/04 at 6:08pm

I don't mind naming names:

I was a fan of opera singer Jerry Hadley and became friends with him. He invited me to dinner at his home on several occasions. Unfortunealtey, I learned he was a habitual liar and stories he told me had very little resemblance to the truth. This concerned not only his personal life but also those of other celebrities that he worked with. He'd go on and tell me stories about Luciano Pavoratti, Cecelia Bartoli, Frederika Von Stade, Andrew Lloyd Webber and hosts of others. None of the stories were true.

The friendship ended.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)