Broadway Puzzler #109

#0Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 3:15pm

The film source of an announced Broadway musical boasts a cast with direct links to Broadway & London's West End, including:

a Tony-winning Vaudevillian
a multiple Tony-winning non-musical actor
a popular singing idol
the male lead in a musical annotated in Broadway history
a Tony-nominated British musical performer

Name the upcoming musical.

Bonus points for the names of these 5 performers

Extra points for each title of one of their Broadway credits.

Yankeefan007
#1re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 3:27pm

chitty chitty bang bang Updated On: 11/21/04 at 03:27 PM

#2re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 5:32pm

Sorry YankeeFan, banging the chitty it ain't.

Next?

Mattio98
#3re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 5:50pm

Spamalot?

Mattio98
#4re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 5:50pm

Or The Color Purple?

timote316
#5re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 5:51pm

lmao banging the chitty

vidkidd
#6re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 6:09pm

I can not think of anything that really fits your description cast wise that is coming in this season... BUT, the closest I get is Spamalot... with Tim Curry (british star, tony nominated for Amadeus) David Hyde Pierce (basically a non musical performer) and Hank Azaria ... WHO would be the pop star? and actually the rest ... none of it really comes together... Did you maybe mean something for NEXT Season?

vidkidd
#7re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 6:11pm

also Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ... has a multiple tony winner in John Lithgow, but Norbert has yet to receive even a nomination.... Joanna Gleason ... Greg Jbarra.... hmmm can't think of a single "vaudvillian" in the bunch!

MargoChanning
#8re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 6:26pm

I believe Jose' question refers to the cast of the FILM the musical coming in is BASED on, not the cast of the show coming to Broadway. That said, I'm not sure what film and show he's referring to (though Mary Poppins, boasted a couple of Tony winners -- van Dyke, Glynis Johns -- and West End stars -- Elsa Lanchester, Arthur Treacher, Hermione Baddeley -- and even a vaudevillian -- Ed Wynn; no multiple Tony winning non-musical actors though).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#9re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 6:58pm

I think it could be "The Threepenny Opera" based on the following clues...

Popular singing Idol: Roger Daltrey, of The Who
Male lead in musical annotated in Broadway History: Raul Julia, of Nine.
a Tony-nominated British musical performer - Clive Revill, Tony nominated for Oliver and Irma LeDouce.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.
Updated On: 11/21/04 at 06:58 PM

#10re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:01pm

Margo is leading you folks in the right direction, but... it's not POPPINS, nor PURPLE, nor SPAMALOT, nor SCOUNDRELS...

The future musical has not announced a date.

There is one direct clue in in the question.

One additional clue is that the 5 performers are male.

Another clue is that at least two of these performers are one degree separated from the biggest Broadway musical female stars of their generation. Updated On: 11/21/04 at 07:01 PM

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#11re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:16pm

Hmmmm. Or maybe Im wrong? Eek, this is the last time I get over-involved in the puzzler. (My answer, many times edited, is above)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Mattio98
#12re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:20pm

Young Frankenstein?
Catch Me If You Can?

#13re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:21pm

No.
No.

re: Broadway Puzzler #109

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#14re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:52pm

The Producers???
Urinetown???
Mary Poppins???

hmmm....I think its Producers

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

DickonDefysGravity
#15re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:53pm

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)
Updated On: 11/21/04 at 07:53 PM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#16re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:54pm

Do you mean the long-aborning stage adaptation of The Night They Raided Minsky's?

The movie has a Tony-winning vaudevillian (Bert Lahr, winner for Foxy), a Tony-winning non-musical actor (Jason Robards, the most Tony-nominated non-musical actor in history, though he only one once for The Disenchanted), a popular singing idol (Rudy Valle, who starred in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying), Elliot Gould (star of I Can Get It For You Wholesale, annotated for introducing Barbra Streisand to the world), and Norman Wisdom (a West End musical star, Tony-nominated for Walking Happy).

As far as Jose's clue about degrees of separation from the greatest female stars of their generation, Lahr starred in The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland, and Gould went on to marry co-star Streisand.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 11/21/04 at 07:54 PM

MargoChanning
#17re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:55pm

The Producers and Urinetown are not future musicals coming to Broadway. They've already been here.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

DickonDefysGravity
#18re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 7:58pm

OOPS...Thanks Margo...I misread the question...I think I need a good rush of fresh air...

#19re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 8:31pm

Magruder, what took you so long?

One small point that isn't correct, but doesn't discount your prize winning entry...Bert Lahr's one degree of separation from the biggest "Broadway" female musical performer of their generation is Ethel Merman. He and Ethel starred in Cole Porter's DUBARRY WAS A LADY. Garland, while she played the Palace, was never a "Broadway" star. She was more than that! re: Broadway Puzzler #109

Your prize, Magruder, is a private screening of THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S in the company of Elliot Gould.

Updated On: 11/21/04 at 08:31 PM

#20re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 8:35pm

One added note...

Bert Lahr died during the production of MINKY'S which resulted in a an aborted role in the film.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#21re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 8:37pm

How about a screening in the company of Jason Gould?

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

#22re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 8:38pm

That was the prize if you had named Ethel Merman.

Better luck next time!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#23re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 8:44pm

Hey, I think I deserve special consideration since Jason Robards is not a multiple Tony winner. (It's extraordinary that he only won once, no?)

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

#24re: Broadway Puzzler #109
Posted: 11/21/04 at 9:07pm

Well. Mr. Robards is the most nominated and did win a Tony for THE DISENCHANTED, and although nominated for LONG DAY'S JOURNEY, he didn't win for that, but he did win a Theatre Award. Let me confer with Jason, and I'll get back to you.

How's that?

Videos