pixeltracker

Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???

Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#0Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:37pm

I have sooo many...

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Yankeefan007
TheaterGeek91
#2re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:48pm

I don't know if I could choose just one, but I really like the harmony in Les Mis at the end of A Heart Full of Love, sung by Cosette, Eponine, and Marius. D, F, and B flat- it's really nice.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#3re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:51pm

the quatet from the secret garden. Westenberg's voice with the Tuba sounds amazing.

The harp in I dream a dream.

The flamigo guita in Man of La Mancha.

I listen to Eric Kenzel with Cincinnati Pop playing Bway tones. Lily's Eyes is the most beautiful score in it.

Ebonic_Singer
#4re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:53pm

Anything disonent (spelling?). I LIVE for clashy chords, which is probably why I love Jason Robert Brown's music so much.

Mythus
#5re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:53pm

The "let go" sung by Harlequin, Corine, and Dimas in "Have a Little Faith" from Triumph of Love.

DickonDefysGravity
#6re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:54pm

well in Once on this Island during, "Pray" when Timoune and Euralie are singing "Can't You See How much this matters to me, what must I do???" I beleive Timoune is singing a Fifth above interval Euralie and it is incredibly powerful.
In The Secret Garden, in Wick, Mary and Dickon's harmonies.
And The Letter Song between Mary and Archie.
And in Rent the ending no harmony of "Your Eyes" is very haunting...

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

DickonDefysGravity
#7re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:56pm

YEA for Jason Robert Brown's CRUNCHY chords...like at the end of the trial scene in Jim Conley's testimony...oh i love that so much!!!

Ebonic_Singer
#8re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:57pm

Oh I thought of one! in Little shop during "Meek shall inherit" the last time when the urchins and seymour sing "you know the meek they're gonna get what's coming to 'em byyyyyyy" That by just makes me pee a little.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:57pm

The final chorus from Marie Christine when the women sing, "My love.....My love....." The harmonies and movement of the inner voices are gorgeous and it is incredibly intense. In person, it was about 100x more intense than the CD. I never forgot that final tableau. It gave me chills at the time and the CD still does.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

timote316
#10re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:58pm

This board never ceases to amaze me. Everytime I am thinking of something, a thread is posted about it. On my way to class, I was trying to think of different chords I liked (because I was listening to WSS, lots of great ones in that).

There is one song in Avenue Q that has great harmony, but I can't think of it now... *runs to get Avenue Q CD* GOT IT! lol
"I Wish I Could Go Back to College", the line about sitting in the computer lab. I like the way that sounds.

Also, I was thinking about the harmonies between Kristin and Idina in Wicked. Also pretty good in "What is This Feeling".

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#11re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 4:59pm

Well, don't know if this is exactly what you are asking, but:

In INTO THE WOODS, one of Sondheim's many motifs is the 'Bean Theme' (D-flat, G-flat, A-flat, F-natural, E-flat). It is used quite often throughout the show in songs and, particulary, in underscoring.

But what I love about it is that in 'No One in Alone' the motif shows up inverted.

The "People make mistakes" lyric is an inversion (D-flat, A-flat, G-flat, B-flat, C-natural) of the 'Bean Theme' that is planted thorughout the score.

I find it so exciting.

But maybe that's just 'cause I'm different. re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

DickonDefysGravity
#12re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:01pm

Oh, preist....we could be BEST friends!!!

Ebonic- You took my next one!!! LOVE THAT PART!!!

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#13re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:02pm

Timote: love the same part of Ave Q too! It's so cool - it makes me feel so great.

Ebonic: Ditto, I love that part of 'meek shall inherit'

One of my fave harmonies is the very beginning of 'Jacob and Sons' in Joseph. That little series of chords is perfect for me.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#14re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:03pm

Y'know, I was playing around with the bean theme a few weeks ago and discovered that.
Very nice.

(Oh, and tomorrow's opening night!)

Jess1483
#15re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:05pm

One of my favorites is in Les Mis during
"To love another person
is to see the face of God"

I don't know anything about technical stuff, but I really love it.

Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our fingers through the flame? Why do we leave our hands on the stove, although we know we're in for some pain? -tick...tick...BOOM!

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#16re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:07pm

Dickon, that's funny, my answer to this question is from ONCE ON THIS ISLAND as well. It's the note they sing in "We Dance," on the word "CHANCE". ("The God's awake and they take no CHANCE") That harmony totally slays me.

I also love the modulation that happens at the last verse of "I've Been Here Before/It's Never That Easy" from CLOSER THAN EVER. Always gives me goosebumps.

MisterMatt, I'm going to go listen to MARIE CHRISTINE right now. Thanks!

#17re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:09pm

Part of the Human Heart is wonderful from Once on this Island

maybethistime
#18re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:13pm

"oh, mama!!!" in "if mama was married" in GYPSY (RBC)
sends chills up my spine

DickonDefysGravity
#19re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:17pm

Veuve- thats a good one too, I loved that part. I took an optional note a third up from the tenor note...It was fabulous

Maybe- YES!!!

And what about in Prima Donna, Carlotta's HIGH HIGH D!!!

LoringsGuy
#20re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:18pm

Love the harmony on the word "me" at the end of "Wish I Could Go Back to College."

Also like the "We're so happy you're so happy..." part in INTO THE WOODS because it's just so weird.

In "New Music" from RAGTIME, after Sarah sings, "Calling my heart to you," when the chorus comes in on that "AHHHHH." Chills!

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#21re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:20pm

I also love that four part harmony that the cast of FALSETTOS sings, during "Unlikely Lovers." It's so pretty.

Also, the "Moonfall Quartet" from DROOD. Patti Coheneour, Judy Kuhn AND Donna Murphy, all singing in tight harmony. What could be better than that?

diva007
#22re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:21pm

The last line from "In His Eyes" from Jeckyl and Hyde always gives me goosebumps. Oh and I secon Jason Robert Brown-I couldn't pich just one chord from his work, I love it all!!

#23re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:21pm

The harmonies in Moonfall Quartet from Drood.

#24re: Whats Your Favorite Chord/Harmony in a Musical???
Posted: 12/15/04 at 5:27pm

The Harmonies from Witches of Eastwick always are amazing.

I also loved the DREAMGIRL harmonies.

and dont forget Seasons Of Love

Videos