Wicked 12/28

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#0Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/28/04 at 11:56pm

Okay, I just got back from seeing Wicked tonight. It was my third time seeing it, and my first with the "new" cast. Here is an (I hope) short review:
First of all, I was in the front row, seat BB6, which is "partial view," but they were absolutely fine. Someone next to me was recording part of the show on their palm pilot or whatever that thing is, but they got busted.
Idina was great, as usual. She is the main reason I saw the show again, because I wanted to see her again before she left. She sounded a little raspy in the beginning, but it went away after a while. All of her songs were right on. My only complaint would be that her gasping was quite noticeable because the speaker was right in front of my face. But other than that she was phenomenal. I really noticed this time how much her voice changes from the first to the second acts, it gets much deeper.
JLT was out, which disappointed me at first, because I really wanted to see her. Megan Hilty was good, not great, but good. Of course, I am a huge Kristin fan, so I may be a little biased, but Megan's vocals just aren't as good, and her comedic timing is not great. I much prefer Kristin's portrayal. Megan did some funny stuff during Popular and was really sweet at the stage door. Her singing was a little too nasal in some places.
Joey McIntyre- He was okay, his voice has kind of raspy, but his singing was pretty good. I didn't really mind the change in As Long As You're Mine. His acting was pretty good, not great. I miss Norbert.
George Hearn- I was pleasantly surprised by him, because I had heard negative things about him from this board. I thought he was very good. I never saw Joel Grey, only Sean McCourt, but I think I like McCourt and Hearn about equally.
Everyone else was great as well. Carole Shelley, Michelle Federer, and Chris Fitzgerald. It was the first time I had seen Chris and I like him better than Randy Harrison.
After the show, i waited at the stage door in the FREEZING cold. Joey came out, then Megan, then Idina. I was really glad Idina came out, because I had heard she hasn't been coming out. Before she came out, the police guy came and said "Okay folks, listen up. Idina Menzel WILL NOT pose for photographs. She will sign anything, but will not pose. No touching, no grabbing, no asking her to pose. Don't ruin it for the whole group. If there is any problem, we will take her away." There were no problems, and Idina came out and was very nice. I asked her if she is excited about the RENT movie, and she said that she is very excited.
All in all, it was a great night at the Gershwin. Oh yeah, for anyone who is interested, there were a TON of people at the lottery. More than I have ever seen, I think. If you are going to try, don't get your hopes up. It was ridiculous.
If anyone is still reading, thanks! If not, oh well, your loss1 Wicked 12/28

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

BSoBW2
#1re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:01am

great review!

so happy for you!

broadwayguy2
#2re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:05am

a.) I can not stand Idin at all.

b.)WTF?!? Megan nasal?? You don't think Cheno sounds like a nasal mouse? i can't stand when people din't give someone a fair shot at a role.

GaLiNdaFied Profile Photo
GaLiNdaFied
#3re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:05am

Thanks for the review glad you had a good time :)

"Someone please tell me- when the hell did gravity become the enemy? How has an essential force of nature, something that makes it possible for life to even exist on this planet, come to deserve the scorn and hatred of every teenage girl with no head voice?"- Broadway Matt

KLeighPSU
#4re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:06am

I'm so glad I'm not alone with my take on Hilty. I TOTALLY AGREE about her comedic timing. that was the main thing that bothetred me last night. sometimes i felt like she was trying to do an impression of kristin..but would then "forget" and it would be like she was playing a totally different character. eh, who knows. also..idina's gasping. thats something i have noticed all three times i have seen her, however it was even more noticeable last night...and I was in row M orch. i was in your seats last time and it was not nearly as bad. she may be coming down with something?? she was clearing her throat a lot last night.

anyways..great review. im so jealous you got to meet idina!! she did not come out last night. xoxo

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#5re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:06am

haha, what happened to the person next to you?

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

ElphieDefiesGravity
#6re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:10am

broadwayguy2- Maybe nasal isn't the right word. I guess forced is probably better. I did enjoy Megan, I really did. She was really cute. I didn't really like the way she delivered some of the lines, but I went in with as much of an open mind as possible. I don't think it's really fair to say I didn't give her a fair chance. I never said she was bad, I just said I enjoyed Kristin's portrayal more. Sorry if I upset you. re: Wicked 12/28

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Pink
#7re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:12am

JLT was out monday night as well?

broadwayguy2
#8re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:13am

no, obviously you did NOT give a fair chance because everything you comment on about her, you connect and compare/contrast with what Cheno did. That isn't giving her a fair chance or letting her stand on her own in the role.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#9re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:13am

So what happened to your bootleg neighbor?

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

OneLastRefrain2
#10re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:21am

I sat in row BB seat 6 too! It was so freaking close, I could have reached out and touched any of the actors when they came downstage right. I actually took two pictures without flash, during bright scenes, when Idina and William Youmans were real close to me (scandalous I know, I didn't get caught, but they didn't come out well)... but anyway, I love Idina/think her CDs are great, but she gasps soo much and breathes unbelievably hard during Wicked... not only when she's singing, but also when she's just talking- I think she tries to do it to make her seem more emotional/excited/upset as Elphaba, but sitting right there at that speaker it really really got on my nerves. You would think with as much vocal training and experience as she has had that that breathing would have to be intentional...

but anyway, Ive seen Wicked three times, with Kristin and JLT, and Kristin's singing voice (as bwayguy mentioned) was not really nasal, it's her speaking voice that is so unbelievably nasal and annoying.

ElphieDefiesGravity
#11re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:24am

broadwayguy2- I'm sorry you feel that way, but I did give her a fair chance. What I said is what I think. Her vocals were good, very good, there were just some times when she sounded a bit forced, and her comedic timing just wasn't that great. I'm sorry you don't want me to compare her to Kristin, but she was the only other Glinda I saw, so it seemed only natural for me to do a little compare and contrast. I have absolutely nothing against Megan and I think she did a fine job and tried to make the role her own, which she did do. I just liked Kristin better.

As for my bootleg neighbor, about halfway or so through the first act, an usher came and took her little recording device, or whatever it was and said she could get it back at the end of the show. I don't know if he was tipped off, or if he just saw her, but I'm glad he caught her, because I couldn't decide whether or not I should say something to someone.

FosseBoi
#12re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:35am

ElphieDefiyesGravity-I'm sorry you have to deal with that bitching from people! Are you with the So Beautiful fan site? If your not you prob should be. We dont bitch like these people do!LOL!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

ElphieDefiesGravity
#13re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:42am

FosseBoi- No I'm not with the So Beautiful fan site. Maybe I should check it out. I just really don't have time for more than one message board right now. re: Wicked 12/28 But I will take a look. Anyway, thanks for your support, but everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, as this is a message board. So it's okay if broadwayguy2 and I don't agree.

Broadwayguy2-Just curious, have you seen Megan? If so, I would be interested in your review of her as Glinda.

broadwayguy2
#14re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:46am

I have yet to see Megan, but I REALLY want to. Let the girl stand on her own. Sorry, but with a WICKED based screenname, it is hard to imagine an objective opinion/review. Everyone that I know and trust and is not constantly trying to hump Idina and Ceno's leg all say that megan is a wonderful Galinda. You go in wanting and expecting Cheno, and when you don't get her, you have a fit. JLT STILL has that same problem with certain "fans".

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#15re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:50am

"I have yet to see Megan, but I REALLY want to."

Then how do you know she isn't nasal?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadwayguy2
#16re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:53am

I didn't say she isn't nasl or that i think she isn't. what I DID say was that someone who likes Cheno's voice should not complain about an actress being nasal. Thnal you and good-bye.

ElphieDefiesGravity
#17re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 12:55am

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I did not "have a fit." I gave my opinion, and it's not my fault I like Kristin's portrayal of the role better. I have a Wicked based user name because I really like the show, but it is not the only show I have ever seen and liked. I recognize its faults, and I can use correct spelling and grammar almost all the time. I think that makes me a pretty good Wicked fan. re: Wicked 12/28 Are you saying that if my screenname was not Wicked related, you would value my opinion more? That seems pretty biased and prejudiced, if you ask me. Once again, I did not dislike Megan, there were just somethings I thought she could improve on, namely comedic timing. She was very very good.

PS- I have already said that nasal is not the right word. Forced is a better word.

Updated On: 12/29/04 at 12:55 AM

broadwayguy2
#18re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 1:00am

when you join a GEBNERAL message board with such a specific name, it because hard to imagine an objective opinion. "Fans" are rarely able to give an objecting critique and breakdown.

ElphieDefiesGravity
#19re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 1:06am

Well, I am sorry you disapprove of my user name, but there is nothing I can do, or am willing to do, about that. It is true that if I had not seen Kristin first, my opinion of Megan might have been slightly different. I admit that. But the truth is that her comedic timing was just NOT that great, and obviously i am not the only one who feels that way. When you see Megan Hilty as Glinda, I will be very interested in reading your review. And I mean that completely sincerely.

BSoBW2
#20re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 1:08am

RELAX!

If she wants to like KC more than megan - let her...if she wants to compare them, let her...it's natural...

ElphieDefiesGravity
#21re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 1:09am

Thanks!

whimsical
#22re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 3:27am

Elphie, you handled that nicely. You have my respect (despite your name)!

Whenever I see two actors play the same role, I end up comparing them. I'd rather not, but I can't help it. I think most people are this way.

broadway_star_tomorrow Profile Photo
broadway_star_tomorrow
#23re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 3:44am

elphie, thanks for handling this so maturely, and i'm happy you had a good time

AKA Idina Pashmina

Type_A_Tiff: There's nothing hard about her. Broadway_star_tomorrow: Yeah. Her arteries.

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#24re: Wicked 12/28
Posted: 12/29/04 at 7:43am

BG2, no offense but you seem to have very strong opinions on people you actually haven't seen yourself. (Megan, Shoshana in Wicked etc).

If you see shows more than once you naturally compare the various actors you have seen in roles. It's obviously not always fair but it's natural.

I agree with the whole user name issue. Unfortunately, most posters using Wicked user names are hyperventilating teenagers who can't spell, so I tend to take their posts with a pinch of salt too. ElphieDefiesGravity, however, just proved that they are mature, intelligent ones around here too re: Wicked 12/28

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero