pixeltracker

Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses

Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#0Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:14pm

I don't think Idina Menzel should have won the Tony.
EDIT: I'm making this, nto out of stupidity, but because there is a difference between surprising and unjustified. Updated On: 12/29/04 at 09:14 PM

BSoBW2
#1re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:15pm

1) No

2) How thick are you to start this thread when you know A) Ppl will bash you and B) There is a Tony thread just below this?

My Fair Lady
#2re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:16pm

That's why I made it. Because there's a difference between unjustified and surprising.

BSoBW2
#3re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:17pm

but this is being discussed in the other thread two....

what do you mean unjustified? the fact is, idina has much more acting to do then KC delivering a few funny lines...

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#4re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:19pm

I could see where someone would be coming from to say Tonya or Donna deserved it over Menzel. But Kristin? WHAT?

BSoBW2
#5re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:20pm

not that idina did well at the tony's, but a lot of ppl around me were groaning during the CoC song...

BroadwayGirl107
#6re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:23pm

Well, IMO, Tonya was just as bad at the Tonys as Idina was, but when I saw Tonya in performance she was truly incredible. Not quite up to par with Idina's performance...especially recently. As far as I'm concerned, her performance was very much Tony worthy.

touchmeinthemorning
#7re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:25pm

I've thought a lot about this issue of Caroline at the Tony's and her vocal issues. My conclusion is this: the role requires an actress to be totally raw. With that said, a perfect voice would ultimately pull someone out of the raw moment just as much as a failing voice. So, she can't win that battle...and the failing voice is a bigger risk as an actress, and Tonya has never been one to shy away from a risk -- and her resume shows it -- and her acting chops are GIGANTIC because of it. I applaude her every move in that show. Absolute brilliance.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

BSoBW2
#8re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:27pm

ya, ok....

i think anyone who can take on a lead is good - look at stephanie - she is awesome in the role....

but still, maybe tonya gave a tony winning performance - but KC? she was good and all - but she did the comedic part. on her "touching" part well, she did fine, but idina did better throught the whole show (wow, that didn't make any sense!)

Btwn Defying Gravity and No Good Deed, i think idina shut KC from the tony...

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#9re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:28pm

um Raul Esparza should have won for Taboo. he deserved it so much for what he did with the role of Phillip Sallon.

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

BroadwayGirl107
#10re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:30pm

BSoBW2, Idina is just a better actress. If neither of them sang a note in the whole show it wouldn't matter...Kristin is funny, but she's hardly capable of creating a character as deep as Idina's and sticking with it. And she's barely capable of the same level of realism. If she can do either, she certainly didn't show it on an exceptional level in Wicked.

BSoBW2
#11re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:34pm

i COMPLETELY agree, bwaygirl

i mean, i think KC did an excellent job with what she did - and JLT, same thing (no real depth)....i don't think the part of
g(a)lind in any way is tony-award winning

BroadwayGirl107
#12re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:34pm

JLT does a FINE job in that role.

PJ
#13re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:36pm

I love Kristin to pieces, but if you look at the roles she's played and how's she played them, they're the same character. Idina won the Tony, and rightfully so.

BSoBW2
#14re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:43pm

yes, i know...i was just saying the role itself i don't think could win any actress a tony (unless their were unfair practices in deciding tony winners - of which i am sure there are NONE....)

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#15re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:44pm

All the women last year were incredible but none of them other then Stephanie, played two roles and made two characters come to life.
Stephanie was robbed. So was John Tartaglia.

BroadwayGirl107
#16re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:46pm

PLaying two roles in one show in no way makes either of them more worthy of a Tony win. Stephanie was charming, but in no way deserved a Tony win with all those other women in that category. And I will never understand what's do great about John Tartaglia. Just...nothing.

BSoBW2
#17re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:46pm

i don't think they were robbed - but i think that they were def. among the best of the best that year....

Stephanie and Johna are both amazing anyway!

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#18re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:50pm

This isn't an "Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses" thread, this is an "I hate/love Idina thread" about the Tony awards. I'll say this. I loved Tonya Pinkins in "Caroline, or Change." She was truly amazing. However, everyone is so quick to point out Idina Menzel's vocal trouble, when she doesn't have NEARLY as many as Tonya, and the role of Elphaba, is vocally, more difficult than that of Caroline. She sings more than Idina, but the keys are lower, the style is much different. I'm not, by any stretch, discrediting Ms. Pinkins, whom I loved. But, when I saw "Wicked," I trly felt for Idina's character. I was so close, and could really see her hurt, and such. She was truly wonderful and deserved that Tony. I would have liked a tie, but since that didn't happen, I'm very happy with the end result. Everyone was saying that KC and Menzel would cancel each other out, leaving Pinkins to win...but, enough people voted for Menzel, not because of the popularity of the show, because then the show itself would have won...okay, I'm sorry, I'm rambling...enough re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses

-Vincent

BSoBW2
#19re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:51pm

jukie - exactly

although seeing the tony's in person - it was very off - but i didn't care...

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#20re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:52pm

Broadwaygirl,
Try singing and acting with puppets on your hand. It is no easy task.
Stephanie and John make the characters come to life and that is much harder then it looks.
I loved all the women in the Tony category last year.

BSoBW2
#21re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:54pm

i still can't believe it when staphanie fights, basically, with herself (kate and lucy)...

BroadwayGirl107
#22re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:54pm

Never said it was easy, Corine, justnot on the same level as any of the other performances in that category...ESPECIALLY Menzel and Pinkins' performances. They were so much deeper and had so many more levels.

BSoBW2
#23re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:57pm

showing emotion is harder than puppetry

My Fair Lady
#24re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:59pm

Okay, I agree, Kristin didn't deserve the Tony. But neither did Idina. I think Tonya Pinkins should have won. I saw her a week before the Tonys when she was sick and she took my breath away. Honestly, she was amazing.

Videos