Good High School Musicals

*Beautifully Tragic* Profile Photo
*Beautifully Tragic*
#0Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:50pm

What are the best ideas for High School musicals??I want to recommend some plays to our director.I'm a fan of Throughly Modern Millie But haha I don't even know if we can do it in schools yet.I'm pretty sure we can though.Any ideas??

"I?ve been singing since I was born. It?s something I do everywhere I go. In the shower, walking down the street. I don?t need any impetus to do it. I just sing." - Idina Menzel I don't make comotions,I am one- Idina Menzel as Elphie Defying Gravity for the last time 1:09:05 --not the same with out you!-- Galinda-I'll call you...elphie..is that okay?? Elphaba-well it's a little perky- Galinda-and you can call me..Galinda-

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#1re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:51pm

TMM is good
Honk, The Wiz, The Wizard of Oz, Cinderella, Peter Pan

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

hellacoolmichael
#2re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:53pm

Joseph.

Thats what my school is doing this year.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#3re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:53pm

Yay Millie! Sorry, I'm a Millie geek re: Good High School Musicals
I agree with Sally, adding The Secret Garden, Into the Woods and Snoopy to the list.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#4re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:54pm

yeah Snoopy is good, YAGMCB

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

*Beautifully Tragic*
#5re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:54pm

ooo haha how would Peter Pan be?!Haha!I don't think shes really a disney fan.Haha, do you know if TMM is out to do in schools??I could always call Dick but that means I have to go out of my way!re: Good High School Musicals lol

"I?ve been singing since I was born. It?s something I do everywhere I go. In the shower, walking down the street. I don?t need any impetus to do it. I just sing." - Idina Menzel I don't make comotions,I am one- Idina Menzel as Elphie Defying Gravity for the last time 1:09:05 --not the same with out you!-- Galinda-I'll call you...elphie..is that okay?? Elphaba-well it's a little perky- Galinda-and you can call me..Galinda-

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#6re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:55pm

oh Peter Pan is great really! so much fun! you could so much with it!

broadwayguy2
#7re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:58pm

1.) Peter Pan is NOT Disney

2.) Good High School Musicals.. hmm.. oxymoron

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#8re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 6:59pm

Unfortunately, I don't think TMM will be out for another year. God, I wish I could dance.

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#9re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:02pm

TMM is out, you can do it. http://www.mtishows.com/show_home.asp?id=000242

*Beautifully Tragic*
#10re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:03pm

Then what is it??I've only heard of it for Disney and only seen it for disney.

"God, I wish I could dance."<

broadwayguy2
#11re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:04pm

No it isn't. That just means that MTI is the liscensing agent for when it is released. Notice that under availability it says " Currently Restricted"? That means that it is NOT availble and likely won't be as long at the national tour is out.

Peter Pan is 'barrie'.. not Disney. Disney made a movie version of Peter Pan but, while enjoyable, it is a DISGRACE to who and what peter Pan is is. Updated On: 1/6/05 at 07:04 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#12re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:04pm

I want to do TMM in school!

I'd say The Music Man would be a good one, or the Wiz. MY school is doing Grease.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#13re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:05pm

peter pan! peter pan! seriously, we're flying in it!!! WEEEEEEE

*Beautifully Tragic*
#14re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:07pm

I'll just call Dick and ask.Haha maybe (If it is out) I can convince her to do that.I LOVE that musical..if not anything else you can think of??Sorry about Peter Pan I didn't know

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#15re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:17pm

Guys and Dolls seems to be the number one choice for High schools...at least around here.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Feodor Sverdlov
#16re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:24pm

I directed in various high schools for many years; but the biggest response any school got to a show was when I directed "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying". The word of mouth was so great that the school add 6 additional performances to the 12 already planned. That was quite a few years ago, however. What I find sad, is how few performances schools seem to have these days. When I went to school and even when I was directing, 12 was the minimum number.

scooter3843

broadwayguy2
#17re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:27pm

back when I was in HS, we did 3-5 performances.

Staci1818 Profile Photo
Staci1818
#18re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:30pm

We're doinf 3 of H2$, mainly because of the SATs this weekend. We usually have 4, but the matinee would interfere with testing. We've had one show extended, but it was an exception, two seniors wrote the show, and I think it was preformed off-off-broadway this summer.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#19re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:31pm

We only ever do 4, tops. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday matinee. I wish we could do more, we're never ready for them to end!

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Lorah
#20re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:35pm

Yay for Millie! It's my new favorite.
My high school just finished doing Fame! (Which Gavin Creel stared in! Yay for more Millie!)
It was great because we could encorporate a large amount of students for the show. Another theater in my area is doing Peter Pan as a high school aged show. Sound of Music was also just done as well as Into The Woods.

stacey717
#21re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:43pm

Good High School Musicals.. hmm.. oxymoron

LOL.

That's what scares me from really thoroughly wanting to be involved in the school's musicals and plays...as someone who hopes to direct someday the results of the drama teacher directing added to the fact that it is a highschool production can sometimes me want to have a coronary sometimes... but it can't be helped and I know there are those that try their hardest, I'm not being mean towards them *no offense intended*... (*just spoiled by broadway and the likes...*)

Our school did Forum a few years ago and it wasn't *too* bad....

Last year was Edwin Drood and this year's Hello Dolly...I didn't get to see Drood because of an evil chem teacher, but then again I heard from a good friend in the orch pit that it was not really....good...

I'm on the fence as to whether Dolly will work out or not (I'm never satisfied with the way the hs's performaces turn out--ie the oxymoron of it all-- but you never know...even thought I think this classic isn't necessarily good for our hs...too much for a small stage...) Updated On: 1/6/05 at 07:43 PM

ElTico68 Profile Photo
ElTico68
#22re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:44pm

I'd recommend "Return to the Forbidden Planet."

"The show is the brainchild of Bob Carlton and is loosely based on the 1956 film "Forbidden Planet" and integrates the great works of Shakespeare and the hits of the fifties. The plot is based upon The Tempest."

It was a huge hit in London (won the 1990 Olivier Award for Best Musical beating Ms. Saigon) and Australia, though has never been a huge hit in the US.

I saw a production of it in Seattle this Fall, and it was way fun. I think it's quite appropriate for high school... it's fun to see how much Shakespeare you recognize, and the music is a lot of fun.

Check it out: http://www.rttfp.com/index_b.php

Happy, smile! Sad, frown! Use the corresponding face with the corresponding emotion! - Kate (Meg Ryan), French Kiss

Feodor Sverdlov
#23re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 7:55pm

Well, if you have a really good director, it can be sublime. Everything I learned (truly learned) about acting and directing I learned in high school. Everything! And I was already a professional stage actor at age 9 (in a tour of "The King and I").

scooter3843

Bwaychick84 Profile Photo
Bwaychick84
#24re: Good High School Musicals
Posted: 1/6/05 at 8:00pm

Some ideas for high school musicals (that seem to be done a lot):
Guys and Dolls
Oklahoma!
Bye Bye Birdie
Grease
Music Man
Anything Goes
Me and My Girl
Hello Dolly
Sound of Music
Camelot
Man of La Mancha (if you have a really good baritone)
Les Miserables (the school version seems to be done a lot now)

Videos