musicals on video

wicked1
#0musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:27pm

Does anyone know if they video tape performances of broadway musicals? If so, is there anyway to watch them?

Sorry if this question has already been asked or answered. I'm pretty new to the board & couldn't find anything when I searched.

I'd appreciate any information. Thanks!

damack
#1re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:25pm

It's not very common (something I've never understood) as far as I know. I happened to see Jekyll and Hyde on HBO with Hasslehoff (the horror!), but I don't think it was a regular thing.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#2re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:30pm

there is a number of broadway shows on VHS & DVD if you look on amazon you might find some :)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#3re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:31pm

Check out this article and you will be able to find out about some of the shows that have been taped:
Article

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

idunno
#4re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:40pm

A few of the shows you can buy:

Jekyll and Hyde
Victor Victoria
Sweeney Todd
Kiss Me Kate
Pippin
Elaine Stritch at Liberty (not a musical) Updated On: 1/9/05 at 11:40 PM

BroadwayGal3
#5re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:47pm

SITPWG
Into The Woods
Sweeney Todd, either the full play (Lansbury) or the concert version (Lupone). George Hearn is in both.

_________ Angry men don't write the rules and guns don't right the wrongs.

dancersmom2 Profile Photo
dancersmom2
#6re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:55pm

According to an old post, Lincoln Center Library has a collection of recordings of recent shows. There seem to be some restrictions on who can view them, however.
Lincoln Center Library archives

pab Profile Photo
pab
#7re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:56pm

I assumed that you were asking about shows that were NOT taped for commercial release but for archival purposes. There are a number of shows that have been tapped and, as was stated earlier in this thread, you can find them on Amazon.com but for those that have not been released you can check out the link posted earlier.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#8re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:54am

-passion
-Magic show
-fosse
-jesus christ superstar (it's a kind of stage production)
-Joseph and the amazing... (the same way than jesus christ)
-CATS
-SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
-INTO THE WOODS
-SONG AND DANCE (on vhs only)
-NOTRE DAME DE PARIS
-OKLAHOMA!
-VICTOR/VICTORIA
-NUNSENSE 1
-Nunsense 2
-Nunsense 3
-Nuncrackers
-Shophisticated ladies
-Smokey's Joe's cafe
-By jeeves
-working
-pirates of penzance
-Jekyll and Hyde
-Sweeney Todd
-Kiss Me Kate
-Pippin
-Elaine Stritch at liberty
-putting it together
-peter pan
-stomp (counts as a musical?)

not shows, but almost!
-Follies in concert
-Company the cd recording documentary
-the producers cd recording documentary
-les miserables in concert

Some london musicals:
-our house
-taboo

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#9re: musicals on video
Posted: 1/10/05 at 1:05am

Well the only one I know of right now is West Side Story but I've never really looked. I really hope someone decides to tape a production of Wicked, Les Miserables, Lion King, Aida, etc and put them on DVD. For those of us who dont live near New York and cant go see the musicals in person. re: musicals on video

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Videos