Godspell Audition

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#0Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 7:35pm

Hello all, and first off - thanks so much for reading this post!

Anyhow, I just found out that my high school is going to be putting on Godspell, and auditions are in the summer. Still, I am a perfectionist, and would like to start practicing early. Could someone please tell me which female role I can/should try out for please? Here is a bit about me:

Dark blonde hair, blue eyes, age range of about 14-18. I am about 5" 6 but I can wear heels. I have 3 octaves - one below middle C, two above middle C. I consider myself more of a mezzo-soprano, but I can pull off alto roles aswell. Please tell me a bit about all the female roles, what songs they are in and how much acting they do in the show. Especially Sonia please. Also, audition songs would be very helpful!

Thank you all! Updated On: 1/12/05 at 07:35 PM

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#1re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 7:38pm

The problem with answering that question is all of the parts in Godspell (with the exception of Jesus and John/Judas) is that the parts are very "loose" and up for the actors interpretation
I'd say look at "Turn Back O Man" and "Day by Day" judging from your voice range
Break a leg! It's an amazing show re: Godspell Audition

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#2re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 7:49pm

What do you mean by loose? And thanks by the way!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#3re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 8:05pm

The parts aren't very strictly set, and they're open for a lot of interpretation by the actor.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#4re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 8:48pm

It depends on what you like to sing...Godspell is an eclectic (I love that word...don't you??) mix of many different types of music...you could always sing "Prepare Ye"....not alot of words to memorize there :).....

Was that a fat joke?

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#5re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 9:37pm

I just finished Godspell at my high school. I was the part of Joanne! And I also sang the 'Learn your lessons well reprise'

It's a great show have fun

Gothampc
#6re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 10:49pm

Godspell is an ensemble show, so the characters are onstage throughout the entire show. Each director has their own particular take on the show, but the original was played with the actors as clowns in an almost comedia dell'arte style. The music is rock and I would suggest auditioning with something from a more rock oriented show. Songs like "I Don't Know How To Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar, "Seasons of Love" from Rent, etc

The characters can turn into anything that the actor and director want to imagine them to be. I would suggest approaching characters by song.

Turn Back O Man - Sonia, sexy vamp
Bless the Lord - Joanne, exuberant, energetic
Day by Day - Robin, serious, devoted
Learn Your Lessons Well - Gilmer, comic
By My Side - Peggy, vulnerable

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Parks
#7re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/12/05 at 11:00pm

Something I was told about auditions is that you probabably don't want to do a slow song...Turn Back O Man is a great song, but I don't know if it'd be a very good audition song...unless if you really love it and you are REALLY good at it. Also, By My Side is WAAAAAYYYY too slow as an audition song...in my opinion atleast. My drama teacher from last year told me to not to even "Ten Minutes Ago" from Cinderella because even THAT was too slow. Well, I made the musical, so I guess it's a good think I took her advice. Hope this helps. re: Godspell Audition Good luck. Godspell is a great show. We did it at my school last year-but I only did lights...*sigh* I belonged in that show. (wait...is belonged a word?) Yeah..Where I'm from sucks. There was a huge arguement after we did the show because it dealt with Jesus and so I don't think our town is allowed to do anymore shows about religion. It's a shame, I really liked Godspell. And since I am a Christian, it makes me even more mad.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Belle-arina Profile Photo
Belle-arina
#8re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/13/05 at 10:38am

The problem with Godspell, is that so much is up to the director's interpretation. When I did is, I was Gilmer because he wanted someone "cute and innocent"--I would NEVER ever be cast in a tomboy role But anyway, although I was Gilmer and sang learn your lesson's well, he switched up all of the lines and parables. Like someone said before, besides Jesus and John the Baptist/Judas, everything else is kind of interchangable. Most parts can be either men or women. With your vocal range, though, I wouldn't rule out "bless the Lord" it's an amazing song!

"No thoughts within her head, but thoughts of joy.....no dreams within her heart but dreams of love."
Updated On: 1/13/05 at 10:38 AM

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#9re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/13/05 at 4:05pm

Thanks so much!

bellalunatic Profile Photo
bellalunatic
#10re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/13/05 at 4:53pm

yikes...looks like ddtruitt has worked it all out for you....but one quick perhaps typo question for ya dd...did you mean Patty
Smythe...of "shooting at the walls of heart ache bang bang"
NOT hard rocking Scandal girl
or did you mean Patti Smith of "dancing barefoot" fame?
kick a$$ rocker chick!
just curious.
re: Godspell Audition

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, you've watched me grow since I was small. What will I regret the most? The things I did or the things I don't? But I can't say, what I can barely face: my life is halfway through and I still haven't done what I'm here to do"

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#11re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/15/05 at 5:43pm

Since when do the characters have names? In the 2001 national tour and the 2000 off broadway cast the characters had the names of the performer who sang them.

ashley0139
#12re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/15/05 at 5:56pm

Are there females in the ensemble? Is there an ensemble? Is it an opera or is there speaking? I am interested because I am thinking of auditioning for this show too.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#13re: Godspell Audition
Posted: 1/18/05 at 9:36pm

I did a production of Godspell about a year and a half ago and it was a great experience.
Word of advice: The show takes tons of stamina...you never leave the stage. It's a tough show vocally, as you sing harmonies in every song, plus your own solo that you have to worry about.
It's a great show...based on your voice tape, I would say "Bless the Lord" is best for you..it's also a very belty song. It takes work...good luck!

Videos