ChicagoBwayFan Profile Photo
ChicagoBwayFan
Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#2re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 11:16am

I agree with the Sun-times review more so than the Tribune. Here's the tribune review: http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/arts/chi-0501160462jan16,1,7842309.story

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#3re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 11:18am

Did ALL SHOOK UP get mostly mixed/positive reviews?

ChicagoBwayFan Profile Photo
ChicagoBwayFan
#4re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 11:40am

The Tribune's review makes little sense. Must be why I read the Sun-Times.

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#5re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 12:48pm

I think it is a really fun show.. Like it has been said it's really just a fun show that you should go into looking to have a great time not a life changing experience.

I really really enjoyed the show!

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!
Updated On: 1/16/05 at 12:48 PM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#6re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 2:21pm

yes, just go into the show with an open mind. It's a fun show that when you leave the theatre, you come out with a warm feeling. haha ok enough shilling. re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

FindingNamo
#7re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 2:42pm

Why when I read these sorts of "here's what you need to do to be able to enjoy this show" kind of posts do I hear the Mad TV theme for that dating service, "Lowered expectaaaaaations?"

Gotta love this quote: "All Shook Up is not authentic in any way, shape or form. It is an efficiently paced fraud, yet a fraud with more audience appeal than many might expect." I recommend the following pull quote: "[A]ppeal[ing!]"

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 1/16/05 at 02:42 PM

ponine24601
#8re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 5:02pm

yay!!! i'm so glad that they are enjoying the show!! i can't wait until i see it in previews!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/16/05 at 6:08pm

The Tribune review rang a little more true to how I felt about the show, but I thought both were a bit more than kind. Notice how neither mention the choreography/er? Something you would expect to be in the forefront of an Elvis catalogue musical, wouldn't you think? I thought there might be some mention of the mysterious motorcycle angels that appear for no apparent reason, but perhaps they've been cut. And how about the intellectual blond bombshell who mysteriously shows up in a portable art museum (complete with dancing statues), who draws LESS attention than the unremarkable and blandly dressed James Dean figure on the motorcycle? Or the most conservative character who wants to rid the town of promiscuity is surrounded by lascivious young boys and scantily clad babes during her second act solo? It seems as if there is a decent show somewhere in there, but it looks like a case of too many cooks. Methinks a dog has been thrown a couple of bones...

EDIT: My apologies...the Sun Times did mention the choreography was "deft".

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 1/16/05 at 06:08 PM

#10re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 12:46pm

When I read reviews like these I wish there was some sort of consumer protection act that would allow you to sue a paper who misleads you into buying a ticket for a show like "All Shook Up."

I saw it last night and was amazed-- How in the world are they taking this show to Broadway? The book is awful, the songs are punched in without regard to mood, tone or plausibility and the staging is...well, when those Elvis Angels on Motorcycles came down from the flies I wanted to puke.

The cast was delightful-- I actually felt bad that they were saddled with trying to make this turkey fly. Jonathan Haydary, Mark Price, Curtis Holbrook, Leah Hocking all did their best. Alix Korey should fire her agent. By the time she was forced through that completely unnecessary "Jailhosue Rock" the audience around me was moaning at every awkward song cue. Cheyenne and Jenn might end up being big stars-- but this show isn't the one to do it.

The set did have it's moments, but was the "motorcyle arriving" bit really worth doing not twice but THREE times? And really, what the hell was the deal with the fine arts musuem being a trailor? And the flames in the orchestra pit????

Wow, sorry, I'm reduced to incoherence by my disgust. The couple who sat next to me remarked at intermission "We don't see much theatre. And now I remember why."

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#11re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 2:12pm

Good lord people!! its not supposed to change your lives. if you want to see a show w/ "Moving Book" and mind blowing and heartouch coreography....youre going to the wrong show! Is it cheesy and corny oh yeah but its fun! Its not necessarily a show for the theatergoer's but for other folks like the tourists and theres nothing wrong w/ that i love the show and think that its awesome and a blast!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#12re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 2:19pm

Three things:

1. At $101.25 a pop (hell...even at a discounted $55 a pop), I expect JUST a little bit more 'cheesy and corny oh yeah but its fun'. For that, I'd stay home and watch my MIDNIGHT MADNESS dvd for free.

2. Why is it that people believe tourists have no taste in theatre? I ask you.

3. There was a time I went to the theatre and expected to be mind-blown and have my life changed. Every time. Not that it happened every time, but still...there was always the possibility. Has it really come to this? Don't expect to have your life changed by the most beautifully living art form I know?

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#13re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 2:42pm

"Takr my hand, take my whole life toooo for I can't help falling in love with... I can't.. I can't help I can't help falling in.. I can't help... I can't help... I can't help... falling in love with you!"

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

FindingNamo
#14re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 2:50pm

Good lord people!! its not supposed to change your lives. if you want to see a show w/ "Moving Book" and mind blowing and heartouch coreography....youre going to the wrong show! Is it cheesy and corny oh yeah but its fun!

All together now, "Lowered Expectaaaaaaaaaaaaations!"

#15re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 2:51pm

I don't expect Life-changing. I don't expect mind blowing. This show was more on a quality level of a Branson review. The script, concept, direction and coreography WERE not up to the standard of a Broadway Musical.

And again, since there seems to be several cast members who read this board (or perhaps producers-- people who for some reason seem to have a very personal interest in this show succeeding): The cast WAS NOT the problem. They did their best with very sub-par material. I am sure that we will see all these people again, in shows worthy of their efforts.

FindingNamo
#16re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 2:57pm

Did they sell fried dough? Because if they didn't sell fried dough then you oughtn't be invoking Branson.

brdlwyr
#17re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 3:00pm

I did expect a musical comedy with recycled Elvis songs marketed towards families. My six year old son loved it and mostly loved the flying Elvis angels.

FindingNamo
#18re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 3:27pm

"My six year old son loved it!"

Now there's a pull quote for the window cards.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#19re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 3:29pm

It breaks my heart that Jonathan Hadary is in this show. I had no idea.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

brdlwyr
#20re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 3:31pm

I thought All Shook Up might be a little more approprate for him than I Am My Own Wife.

#21re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 3:59pm

"Did they sell fried dough? Because if they didn't sell fried dough then you oughtn't be invoking Branson. "

No, but there was a woman working the auditorium selling Twizzlers and Bottled Water (no lie) and I overheard someone approach her and ask if she had any Beef Jerky.

And I wish I were making it up but I am not.

brdlwyr
#22re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 4:08pm

That was me. I wanted something salty.

NativeNewYorker
#23re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 5:13pm

Can't wait!

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#24re: All Shook Up - Chicago Sun-Times Review
Posted: 1/19/05 at 7:30pm

First of all if you don't wanna spend all that money on the show then don't im just saying its not a waste and not all people are out to watch the next "Caroline, or Change" or whatever you consider moving...anyways the show is in its try out so keep in mind that they can still work out some of the kinks. Robbie- i wasn't saying that tourists have bad tastes in theater but i'm saying that this is a good show for someone who doesn't nescessarily love theater because its fun and enjoyable and not too deep and that doesn't mean that its bad. I think All Shook Up is great and appeals to all ages and the group i went with ranged in ages 7-64 and they all loved and i think taht says something for a show. I think that there should be shows that are just about having a good time and making an audience smile and personally, i thought it was very clever as well but i see that many of you didn't think so and thats fine but i encourage people to give the show a shot because i think you'll have a good time and just out of curiousity what would you all change like in the book and stuff?

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Videos