Boy From Oz

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#0Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 9:10pm

Saw this afternoon's performance. Show was great & Jackman & everyone else were right on. Besides Jackman, the actress playing Judy Garland was great. Ditto for young Peter Allen. I can recommend it to all. To the critics, get your collective heads examined.

Everyone else I know who has seen it has loved it.

By the way, the AIDS auction was held & a tee shirt Jackman wore in Act 1 went for $ 2,000. It was reported that the show had raised $ 600,000 plus for equity fights aids surpassing Hairspray

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/7/03 at 09:10 PM

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#1re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 9:14pm

Glad you enjoyed it! I could hear everyone out in the lobby. I was dropping off some checks for the show to add to their BC/EFA totals...which are over $600,000! Way to go cast and crew!

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#2re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 9:16pm

Mr Roxy- Ditto to everything you said. This show is a must see. How did you like Jarrod Emick?
Support BC/EFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 12/7/03 at 09:16 PM

A_Boy_From_Oz Profile Photo
A_Boy_From_Oz
#3re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 9:19pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. It's my favorite show on broadway now!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 9:25pm

Forgot to mention , "Sure Thing Baby " is in the show but , for some reason, is not on the CD

It is remarkable how all the songs picked from all those he wrote seemed to perfectly fit where they were in the show & appeared to have just been written specifically for the show. When Jackman leaves ( he is signed for 1 year) I cannot think of anyone else who could play the role. This is sad because the show is great in its own right but Jackman makes it so much better.

The guy who plays his father/agent was last in Kiss Me Kate as one of the two henchmen ("Brush Up Your Shakespeare)

Poster Emeritus

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#5re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 9:45pm

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the show. I was so giddy and happy when I left the theatre, so taken with Hugh's performance.
He's wonderful. They raised 3000. for two shirts (1500. each).

liaghatgals
#6re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 10:14pm

For those of us not living in NYC but who have seen the show, these posts are a godsend. So pleased about the "final tally" BC/EFA but from what I hear it won't be formally announced until tomorrow or Tuesday? Is that right Piglet. And Piglet, I want to thank you again in this forum for all you did for organizing TBFO forum BC/EFC collection. Piglet is too modest, but the forum raised over $2800. It's a great group.

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 10:35pm

Thanks Liaghatgals! And yes they do announce on Tuesday. And Phantom2...I personally adore Mr. Emick. When I saw the show on Thursday night....Jarrod was incredibly emotional during the scene where he tells Peter he has AIDS. He had us all in tears around me.

On a side note...Jo and I got to dance with Hugh that night! WHAT FUN!

addition to the serenity prayer: Help me hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off!!! :-)

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/7/03 at 10:40pm

PigletH13- Did you go to "Children of Eden" on Monday night? One word, AMAZING.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 6:58am

No! details please!!!

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#10re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 11:50am

Isn't that interesting, Mr. Roxy 'cuz I thought everyone who liked it shoud get his head examined. Ah, well, I guess that just brings up how we shouldn't judge anyone else's opinions on a subjective matter. Hint, hint.

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#11re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 12:31pm

Oz is certianlty on my list, too. I just finished my phone interview with the dynamic Stephanie Block (Liza) about an hour ago. She is singing the praises of this wonderful show and Hugh's generousity with many charities especially BCEFA.

Hope to have the intervew done by tomorrow.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Tiny_Dancer Profile Photo
Tiny_Dancer
#12re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 1:48pm

With all the publicity that the incredible Harry Connick Jr has been getting lately, I think that he would be a great replacement if he could pull off the accent. He's got the looks, the vocal and acting ability, and he definately could pull off the flambouyancy.

Any thoughts?

Do Something!!!! www.one.org

Tiny_Dancer Profile Photo
Tiny_Dancer
#13re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 1:50pm

PB....I can't wait to read your interview with Stephanie. I think she is dynamic too! Let us know when and where.

Do Something!!!! www.one.org

#14re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 1:52pm

Haven't seen the show but have the cd, The actress playing Judy Garland is uncanny, and Stephanie Block belting "I Love To Hear The Music" is my favorite track. I can see why she was Idina's understudy in Wicked San Francisco before she got the Oz gig!

PigletH13 Profile Photo
PigletH13
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 2:44pm

Stephanie dynamic? HELL YES! LOL! And perhaps one of the nicest people on the face of the Earth! I hear it runs in her family! Rob...you should totally tell her that. She would be honored to hear that.

And Tiny Dancer...I love the idea of Harry Connick! But I love him anyway.

#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 2:50pm

Yes I was in a show with Stephanie years back, a GREAT entertainer, the talk of the show.

#17re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 3:14pm

The day I attended the t shirt went for $4600.. The towel went for $2000. I believe

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#18re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 5:33pm

WOW!!!!! Hugh's DNA brings in the big bucks

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Boy From Oz
Posted: 12/8/03 at 6:17pm

PigletH13- If you haven't already, check out Rob's thread with the link to the "Children of Eden" review.

Videos