Show Dissapointment?

Sant
#50re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 6:09am

DRACULA
THE PRODUCERS - the show was good but not as good as you'd expect from all that hype
NOTRE DAME DE PARIS
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE - so not worth the Tonys

Plum
#51re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:29am

How could I forget Rent? Having friends who were so addicted to the show they set their molecular biology memorization to the songs might have raised my expectations, but I was really expecting to think something more than "Go get a job, you lazy squatters."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#52re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 9:54am

Phantom and Notre Dame de Paris did not disappoint me because I basically knew what to expect. It doesn't mean I liked them, though.

Disappointments:

Aida - Was shocked at some of the tacky set designs (I laughed out loud at the "prison" optical art backdrop with the little sad men painted inside), the lack of a cohesive concept for the show (is it modern? is it ancient? is there anything Egyptian about it?) and the uneven performances of Pascal and Headley (both sang well, but that was it).

Closer to Heaven - Was really pumped about seeing a gay-themed musical with a score by the Pet Shop Boys. Major disappointment! The sets were mostly cheap and tacky. Not at all what you'd imagine when paying the same price as for the Mackintosh revival of My Fair Lady. The score was mostly monotonous and dull. The characters were all despicable and unworthy of any compassion or even pity. The staging and choreography were second-rate semiprofessional regional theatre at best. Sandra Bernhard and her girlfriend Sarah told me they liked it, though.

Plum - When did you see Rent? I think the right cast and early in the run made a WORLD of difference. When I saw the show again last summer, I couldn't believe how much I disliked a show that at one time had so profoundly moved me.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

complaintdept. Profile Photo
complaintdept.
#53re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:26am

CHICAGO--
I shouldn't have seen the movie beforehand, I guess. I really enjoyed the movie, and found it to be lackluster on stage comparitively.

What's that I smell in the air? The American dream.

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
#54re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:40am

um this is gonna sound really bad, but that happened with wicked. like i totally love the show, but everyone makes sucha big hype about it that when you go and see it...it's not what you expected.

Thats kind of how I felt re: Show Dissapointment?

How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#55re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 10:46am

Hi Guys! My first time on and I just HAD to mention my biggest Broadway disappointment. THE REVIVAL OF FOLLIES!!!!!!!!! There was hardly an element of that production which was right and I especially thought the four leads miscast. I saw Julia McKenzie and Diana Rigg in the 80's - stars!

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#56re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:02pm

I gotta say, I was so happy to see The Producers my first time with the OBC. It was one of my all-time favourite movies, I had the cast recording completely memorized and seeing Nathan Lane doing Betrayed was one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had.
But when I saw the tour recently, I was shocked at myself at my own disappointment. The actors, while very good, just didn't compare at all to the OBC and the show just felt weak in general. I still can't explain why I suddenly didn't like it and the only thing I can think of is that I was just so deadset on Nathan, Matthew and the gang in the roles that I just can't see anyone else in the roles.
I also have to say I was very disappointed with Millie after falling in love with the recording and then realizing the show was cheesy and silly. I actually liked the Broadway Abridged script better.

broadwaynut20
#57re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:13pm

contact- what a stupid show. i wanted to die through the whole thing

queenie2
#58re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:14pm

I was quite dissapointed with a Chorus line

MargoChanning
#59re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:18pm

I'm with Plum. I saw Rent with the original cast at NYTW and on Broadway a week before it opened and while there were a few good moments, all I could think was how badly it was in need of another draft or two -- Larson's death, unfortunately made that impossible. And I was someone who lived in the East Village at the time, knew several people who were squatting on 13th Street and had more than a dozen friends living with AIDS at the time -- perhaps living in the actual world the show depicted caused me and my friends to be collectively very disappointed by it (most of the people I knew from the East Village HATED it -- a half dozen or so I went with to see it at NYTW walked out at intermission, laughing and finding the "La Vie Boheme" scene to end Act I one of the dumbest and corniest things they'd ever seen ....as would most people who remember the real Life Cafe in those days).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

sciguy
#60re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:22pm

I finally saw Hairspray last week. Very entertaining, but after all the Tony's and the hype I expected it to blow me away which it did not. A "great looking show".
Dissapointment doesn't necessarily mean the show wasn't good.

sciguy
#61re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:23pm

Sorry...
Forgot to echo that I felt the same way about Millie. Too much hype for a show that was not that great IMHO.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#62re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:26pm

The Lion King
Phantom of the Opera
'night Mother
Dance of Death
Little Shop of Horrors

The Goat
#63re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 1:30pm

OK, I'll have to go with those folks who said "Wicked." I was ready to adore it, I had great seats, and then. . .it just never really took off for me. Oh, I guess I should mention that I did see the original cast.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#64re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:10pm

The show I was most disappointed in was Chicago.

I had hyped up Dirty Rotten Scoundrels a lot too, so I was kind of expecting a lot more than it what it actually was.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#65re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:12pm

Titanic - loved the cd, hated the show.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#66re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:26pm

DANCE OF DEATH, though not the best play ever written, was worth it just to see Ian McKellan and Helen Mirren on the same stage together. They were wonderful together.

I was very dissapointed by VINCENT IN BRIXTON. Clare Higgins was outstanding, but that was about it. The actor who played Van Gogh-can't even remember his name, if that tells you anything-was lifeless.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#67re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:35pm

Thing to remember, everyone has different tastes. I respect the opinions of others, even if we don't agree on the shows we liked or disliked.

My disappointments:

Avenue Q - I thought it was very well executed, it just wasn't my thing. I had no preconceived notion either.

The Lion King

The Producers - I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

Chicago

Our Town with Paul Newman

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#68re: Show Dissapointment?
Posted: 2/15/05 at 2:41pm

Other than Newman and a few others (Maggie Lacey, Stephen Spinella, and Jayne Atkinson), the OUR TOWN revival did nothing for me.