Overrated Performers

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#0Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 3:48pm

Liza Minnelli - never ever understood the appeal

Hugh Jackman - beautiful to look at, especially half dressed, but a servicable singing voice at best

Carol Channing - I just don't get it! Can not listen to the Hello Dolly cast album. Between Carol and Charles Nelson Reilly, my ears bleed.

Ethel Merman - never understood the attraction here either.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
Updated On: 2/15/05 at 03:48 PM

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#1re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 3:50pm

You are crazy, but that's just my opinion.

I find Michael Crawford to be overrated.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#2re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 3:52pm

Well there is an intelligent posting.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

i*heart*fame
#3re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 3:52pm

Idina Menzel--she is good, but come one people

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

Joshua488
#4re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 3:53pm

Are you trying to be funny, baddadnpa? Because I am shocked. My jaw is on the floor right now. Wow.

Idina Menzel = overrated performer

The woman is talented, but does she really deserve all of those teens/tweens/pre-teens flocking to her and worshipping her? I think not.

EDIT: Aww, I thought I would be the first one to mention Idina! Damn you... re: Overrated Performers Updated On: 2/15/05 at 03:53 PM

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#5re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 3:53pm

Not trying to be funny at all. Downright serious.

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#6re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:03pm

I agree, for the most part.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#7re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:05pm

Thank you newsie - thought I was going to get shot at sunrise or something comparable.

Updated On: 2/15/05 at 04:05 PM

i*heart*fame
#8re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:08pm

sorry joshua488

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

JoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
#9re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:22pm

My theory on why these stars are stars...

They all absolutely ooze stage presence. None of them are ever boring in anything they do. I think the fact that none of them have the most "pleasing" voice adds to their charm. Would Liza be Liza without that rhaspy tremor? Would Hugh be Hugh without that nasal "honk" he often does so well. Would Carol be Carol or Harvey be Harvey if they spoke and sang in crystal clear, legit voices? No, they wouldn't; and they probably wouldn't be near as interesting, either. Carol Channing can captivate an audience by simply eating beets and dumplings --- *that's* stage presence. I do, however, agree that simply listening to these performers isn't always at the top of my list of fantastic things to do.

Just my two cents on the topic. re: Overrated Performers

~Joshie

My lip gloss is poppin'...

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#10re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:22pm

DONNA MURPHY

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#11re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:23pm

Yeah, I never got the whole Ethel Merman thing for a while either, but I think the reason she was so famous in her day is because of her big voice. I think it was Irving Berlin who said , "If you're writing lyrics for Ethel Merman, they'd better be good because everyone is going to hear them" Keep in mind that in her day, theatres weren't miked.

And I agree about Liza Minelli. Too much vibrato. Blech.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#12re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:24pm

I agree they have stage presence, but all are considered Broadway musical actors. I could understand hype if they were acting in comedies or plays without music, but they are all representative of the Broadway musical theatre.

JoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
#13re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:27pm

Fair enough. I happen to enjoy them (live!), but I can definitely see where others may disagree.

~Joshua

My lip gloss is poppin'...

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#14re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:29pm

The problem I find is that they are far more interesting as themselves than they are as the characters they play. You never lose yourself in their acting. It is not Dolly Levi up there, but larger than life Carol Channing. Same thing with Merman and Minnelli, although I would NEVER put Minnelli in the same league as Channing or Merman.

Updated On: 2/15/05 at 04:29 PM

melissa errico fan
#15re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:31pm

Donna Murphy, overrated? If anything, she's underrated.

cathyhyatt
#16re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 4:59pm

IDINA MENZEL...THANKYOU...FINALLYYY

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

BSoBW2
#17re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:08pm

How'd I guess Idina would be in this thread....?

If you want to talk about overrated performers, let's mention people without even a smattering of talent....

Spooky
#18re: Overrated Performers
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:22pm

Matthew Broderick he bores me to tears.

Harvey Fierstein too, I like him, but I don't think he's all that, he's just the only one.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#19re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:36pm

I'm retitling the thread, if you guys don't mind. I think thats a more accurate was to describe them instead of "overrated."

My contibution will deal with beloved cabaret performers:
Ann Hampton Calloway ( Ilike her sister Liz, though),
Andrea Marcovicci
and the legendary Julie Wilson.

The first two I find mannered beyond belief and I just don't understand why Ms. Wilson is applauded the way she is.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 2/15/05 at 05:36 PM

TheaterGeek91
#20re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:54pm

I second the Harvey motion. I just can't listen to his voice for long periods of time.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#21re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:57pm

Harvey is an amazing actor but I cannot stand his singing voice. I do not see the appeal, and therefor will not see him in a musical.

Rebecca Luker, I cannot stand her voice.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

melissa errico fan
#22re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 5:58pm

Nooooooooooo, not Rebecca! Not my baby!

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#23re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 6:01pm

I thought Melissa was your baby?

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#24re: Others love them, You don't see what the big deal is
Posted: 2/15/05 at 6:08pm

Donna Murphy
Harvey Fierstein
Idina Menzel
Ethel Merman

Videos