I Am My Own Wife

Stagedoor2
#0I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:43pm

I realize that I'm late on the bandwagon for this, but I finally got a chance to see the show here in Chicago last night.

Wow.

That's all I can really say. I've never been so impressed with a single performance -- and this is coming from someone who saw The Boy from Oz multiple time for Hugh Jackman. Jefferson Mays truly deserved every award he won for this role.

The show makes me want to read Charlotte's book to find out more about her fascinating life. I only wish that I had the opportunity to see it again before it closes on Sunday, but I'm so glad that I didn't miss it.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:46pm

I love this play...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MargoChanning
#2re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:50pm

Check out Rosa von Praunheim's documentary on Charlotte from the early '90's "I Am My Own Woman" -- fascinating, especially for those who have seen this play.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#3re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:51pm

Jefferson Mays was sensational in this production. it was really great.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

brdlwyr
#4re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:51pm

I left the theater thinking that I may never again see such a great performance. Mays was incredible.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#5re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:52pm

Simply brilliant show, with a smashing performance by Jefferson.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:54pm

Fabulous play, fabulous actor.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 4:56pm

And he is a wonderful, kind human being.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#8re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 5:13pm

Yes, it was an overwhelming experience. Great theater. A truly great performance, a master class.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

buddhaismymom Profile Photo
buddhaismymom
#9re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 2/18/05 at 5:24pm

i agree. great show. great actor. cant say enough about it.

"we're actors- we're the opposite of people" -Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Videos