Musicals from the 70's

bostonbroadwayfan
#0Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 10:49am

When I was a kid living on Long Island, in the 5th grade our music teacher took us to see a Broadway show called "The Me Nobody Knows."
Does anyone remember this?
I did a search and found the show lasted less than a year.
Just a childhood memory that has stayed with me. Updated On: 3/3/05 at 10:49 AM

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#1re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 10:51am

The Me Nobody Knows - isn't that with the song "We don't have to change at all"? Maybe not I might be getting confused but just wondering.

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Jon
#2re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 10:52am

It's a show that really belonged Off-Broadway. The songs and dialogue was all based on poems and stories written by actual kids living in the iner city.

One of the kids int he show was Irene Cara - later famous for her role in the movie "Fame" , and for singing the theme to "Flashdance".

bostonbroadwayfan
#3re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 10:56am

I can still remember lyrics to a song called "If I had a million dollars"

.... wouldn't take no more BS from anyone...

we sang that in our grade school chorus with a slight word change,lol

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#4re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 11:14am

Is if I had a million dollars from "the me nobody knows"

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

bostonbroadwayfan
#5re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 11:22am

My bad,
I could have phrased that better.

Yes, the song I knew as "if I had a million dollars" is from "The Me Nobody Knows".

Jon
#6re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 12:00pm

Not to be confused with the song by Barenaked Laides.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#7re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 1:21pm

i wore the button they sold "I am the Me Nobody Knows" for quite a while..........I remember the song Dream Babies.....and a boy singing that he's got what the girls want and vice versa......I remember they used a bit of film projection in the show.........and it was pepped with curse words...........I remember liking the show, but not thinking it was particularly good.

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#8re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 2:01pm

I saw this as part of the Broadway on Showtime series many many years ago and, back then, i thought it was a wonderful concept! and you can imagine my excitement that the cast album became available a few years ago on CD... My favorite song was/is "How I Feel"...

Hard to tell you how I feel
Everything is so unreal
Lord, this life is a hard thing to get through...

Today, it really sounds dated, and i wonder what an updated version would sound like, with today's teens words and feelings...

Jon
#9re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 2:18pm

The creators of the show did a follow-up in the early 1990's called BRING IN THE NIGHT - with lots of rap and hip-hop music. It was done Off-Broadway, and was not successful at all.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#10re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 3:34pm

irene cara won an obie award for her performance in this show. i think she was 10 or 11 when she won the award.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#11re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 4:27pm

when I saw the show, it was on Broadway, so it must have been after Cara won an Obie for it:)

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#12re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 6:45pm

I'm way too young to have seen it off or on broadway, but i do remember reading the original book the show it's based on as well as performing "light sings" in junior high as part of the school's chorus.

Feodor Sverdlov
#13re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:06pm

I sat and smirked through the entire show. Thought it was a piece of crap. Now, thinking back, I can't imagine why I thought that. My memory of it is anything but crappy. I guess it's all relative. I've seen so much crap since, that it really wasn't so bad after all.

scooter3843

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#14re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:20pm

Does anyone remember "Got Tu Go Disco?"

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Feodor Sverdlov
#15re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:30pm

Didn't that run for about a week? Two at the most. Didn't see it, but I think it played the Minskoff. Did you see it?

scooter3843
Updated On: 3/3/05 at 07:30 PM

Prettylittlepicture Profile Photo
Prettylittlepicture
#16re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:53pm

"How I Feel" is a gorgeous song from that show.

I'll open a souvlaki stand! I don't even know what souvlaki is, but people seem to LOVE them!- Xanthias
You see this tree? It is a fir tree. It's called a fir tree because it gives us fur- for coats! It also gives us wool in the wintertime!- Lucy "Little Known Facts"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 7:54pm

It was at the Minskoff, and you're right - it literally ran about 1-2 weeks. I did not see it - I'm only 19 years old, but I was in a show with one of the cast members. The stories about Irene Cara's drug habits were horrendous...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

bostonbroadwayfan
#18re: Musicals from the 70's
Posted: 3/3/05 at 10:20pm

Thanks for the replies.

Fun going down memory lane.

Updated On: 3/3/05 at 10:20 PM

Videos