pixeltracker

Why do we "turn" on the most popular shows?

Why do we "turn" on the most popular shows?

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#0Why do we "turn" on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:07pm

CATS took Broadway by storm. Remember all those silly ads of people walking out of the theatre saying how much they loved it? Or spouting that they saw it 7 times and are taking Uncle Ned next week? The hundred little girls parading around in whiskers and make-up?

Phantom was a massive crowd pleaser in the same way. Raves and crazy fans in masks.

These are just two of the mammoth shows that were incomparably huge (even still), and now people claim to HATE them.

Why this so called "turn" on these shows?

I also see this starting to happen with The Producers...

Comments?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#1re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:09pm

Because we're snobs who have to feel intellectually superior to the "average" theatergoer. I'm guessing most of us were unpopular in school, due at least in part to our love of theater, and we see this (consciously or un-)as our revenge on our cruel schoolmates.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Joshua488
#2re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:19pm

Sounds about right.

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#3re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:21pm

Rathnait62, LOL...to funny

#4re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:23pm

Maybe its because we hear about it so much... like I know people are turning on Wicked! I mean its everywhere... but Im a hapless Wicked-head so I cant hate my favorite show. I see it happening alittle bit to Rent.

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#5re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?

Rathnait62 re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows? At last I feel understood!

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#6re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?

Well, I've admitted before, and I have no reason to not admit again, that I'm a Sondheim snob and damn proud of it.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#7re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:27pm

I refuse to place myself in the same company as the "general public"...I have been called "uppity" and I guess it is true!

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

bwaybaby891
#8re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:41pm

I don't know why people on here turn against these shows. I'm not one of the people who hates popular shows (my fav show ever is wicked), but I also love other smaller shows. I have a hypothesis as to why people hate wicked, rent, cats, and other popuar shows but I want to know from the big franchise haters themselves. Why?

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#9re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:43pm

It is because theatre lovers always hope for the musical theatre to furtherly evolve and progress into something new. So shows whose only obvious aim appears to be to make money is very hard to love. Isn't it?

Edit: And unfortunately the majority of mankind doesn't think tou much about it and just walk into theatres with the best ads. Updated On: 3/8/05 at 04:43 PM

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#10re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:44pm

As for wicked, I'm not sure that people turned on the show. The show did not open to the best reviews and many people, including myself, did not like the show from the beginning. So, I'm not sure Wicked counts for the category of people "turning on," most of the people who do not like the show haven't since it's inception.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#11re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:45pm

I think Rath hit the nail on the head, but I can think of contributing reasons. Some of it might be the inevitable backlash that occurs when something becomes over-publicized and over-hyped. It happens to TV shows all the time. Remember when The Osbournes started on MTV and became so popular so quickly? After awhile you couldn’t look anywhere without seeing Ozzy and gang and it was overload—people just got sick of it. The Simpsons actually experienced a similar backlash early in its run. The other part is that the hype sets expectations so high for new viewers of the Broadway musical, movie, or TV show that many come away quite disappointed. These people’s complaints add to the backlash.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

ashley0139
#12re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:48pm

People "turned" on Wicked because of the fans. Can't say I blame them...

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

LetMeLeave
#13re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:53pm

ashley0139, that's the stupidest reasoning I have ever heard.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#14re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:54pm

No. It's not.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#15re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?

LetMeLeave read my post. People didn't like the show from the beginning. Add to that obnoxious fans and it makes people vocally dislike the Wicked.

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

LetMeLeave
#16re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?

how is that not?! To stop loving something because other fans of the same thing bother you. That's stupid.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#17re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:56pm

People didn't stop loving Wicked, most people who dislike it now disliked it from the beginning but because of the obssessed fans are now more vocal about disliking Wicked.

ashley0139
#18re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:57pm

Have you seen/heard the fans of the show? And thank you whatyouown. re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 3/8/05 at 04:57 PM

LetMeLeave
#19re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:57pm

I'll agree with that....but I will never agree that someone just stops loving a show because it's fans are annoying.

ashley0139
#20re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:59pm

It's not that they still don't like them. It's that they turn on them. Not the same thing, I don't think.

LetMeLeave
#21re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:04pm

if you could explain the distinction, that would be super.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#22re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:05pm

I have to agree with the 'not up to expectations' theory. I always try to think for myself and not be swayed by other people's opinions, but I thought CATS was terribly disappointing with unexciting choreography and long dull stretches; I returned to LES MIS three times because I had friends in different productions of it and each time wished I'd stayed home to read the Classic Comic version of the book; I thought I was going to suffocate during PHANTOM, and from beginning to end of THE PRODUCERS all I could think was..."but it's just not as funny as the movie!" I adore musical theatre and can happily suspend my critical faculties if I'm entertained, but if a show bores me I find it hard to be enthusiastic no matter how big the publicity machine. I haven't seen THE LION KING yet because every single person I know who has seen it tells me that the magnificent opening number is the high point of the evening. So until someone pays the $100 to buy me a ticket, that's one I'm going to miss.

#23re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:08pm

For a number of reasons I guess, but Id say "we" arent the ones making those shows so popular to begin with. A show like Cats was real popular with tourists and not so much with the dedicated theater fan. I dont know if that happened over time or not, but it seems to be the case. We also like having new shows to see all the time so a show that stands for long periods of time limits the number of new shows that can open. Of course theres also the fact that HERE, we deal with repeated posts about shows that have just been talked to death.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#24re: Why do we 'turn' on the most popular shows?
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:10pm

The backlash against The Producers needs to stop. They whavn't done anything to deserve a bad rap. So they're running happily for a long time! Congrats the them! I think people like seeing shows flop. It's more fun to talk about.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

Videos